Vintage DSD Recorder?

Shakedown

Can anyone reccomend what would be considered vintage by now, DSD recording gear.

I ask because I am not running a professional studio, so have no need for the latest and greatest.

Unfortunately when it comes to DSD there are no midrange products as most consumers have no need for it, I don't need DSD128.

However there may be some almost twenty year old equipment out there from when the format was just getting started, that nobody wants anymore.

All recommendations welcomed!

You can find some deals out there if you're willing to go the "portable DSD recorder" route.

Used TASCAM DA-3000s come along every so often that are not too badly priced, but it all depends on budget. The DA-3000 can do DSD or 24-bit/192kHz PCM. Rack mount size, and uses an SD card (or that old Compact Flash format).

Didn't some of the old DSD recorders use blank DVDs or something?

My DR40 (no DSD, but PCM up to 24/96) uses an SD card, as does the DA-3000. I will take memory-based media over a spinning disc any day. Less parts to malfunction. A recorder with an unobtainium dead disc drive won't do anyone a bit of good. With digital, I find it better to think ahead when buying vs. thinking behind (as in older, used equipment). Technology changes so rapidly these days. My preference may be to spend more so it is a little more future-proofed.

Some of the earlier prosumer DSD recorders did use blank DVD media to record on. Agreed about the fact that I prefer memory-based media over spinning discs for audio capture. I just switched my PCM based transfers and recording over to a Tascam DR-07 recorder using SDHC media. Much better than CD-R or DVD-R based machines and less to give trouble. I love my new to me DR-07 a lot, a fantastic field recorder. It sounds really nice. A DSD version of this would be superb.

I was surprised the DR-40 sounds as good as it does, given its modest price.

Kent: Don't forget to grab enough cards for your needs in time, though - and "in time" in this case wouldn't only mean "before the type/format and capacity your recorder can handle is discontinued", but ideally also "as long as the maximum capacity version(s) is/are at or at least near the sweet spot in terms of price-capacity.

What sucks a bit is that flash memory has generally been under high demand for the last couple of years, so that the prices for what would nowadays seem medium capacities (8/16/32 GByte) rather are higher than two years ago. At that time it still seemed likely that decent 16 GByte microSDHCs Class 10/UHS-I variants with SD adaptor would soon hit 5 Euro per piece (which I'd like to buy 50 to 100 of for my Sony PCM-M10s...), but instead the prices went up again from roundabout 6 to roundabout 8 Euro. And it seems like the most recent, decent UHS-3 variants would foremost appear with at least 32 GByte, so I might soon need to buy at a higher price than what I had expected...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Back
Top Bottom