Vintage Dual Turntable Repair

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by TimMor, Dec 8, 2018.

1. TimMor

TimMor New Member

New to this forum and so I apologize if this has been asked and answered. I am in search of a reputable Dual turntable repair person or company preferably in the S.E. US. If someone has a recommendation, I would appreciate it very much.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. DCH

DCH AK Subscriber Subscriber

Bill at FixMyDual.com. He's probably gonna be your best bet - I just got my 1019 back from him today and the guy does a great job at a great price. You have to ship it to Iowa, but it's worth it.

Zvezda likes this.
  3. mfenberg

mfenberg New Member

When it comes to vintage Dual TT repair, Bill is the man! Bill repaired my 1219 some years ago and it's still working great!

4. ranf1970

ranf1970 Life without music would be a mistake.

Let's also not forget @NoTransistors for quality Dual repair.

While I have used neither, both he and Bill have very good reputations here on AK.

NoTransistors likes this.
  5. beatcomber

beatcomber AK Member

I have given work to both Fix My Dual and No Transistors, and my experiences with Seth (No Transistors) were much more positive. I absolutely highly recommend his services.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  6. stereofisher

stereofisher For the Love of the Music Subscriber

Seth

7. Calypte

Calypte Temecula, California

How did you guys box these for shipping?

8. jcamero

jcamero Who are you people anyway? Subscriber

I'd contact Bill or Seth directly for packaging details.

9. savatage1973

savatage1973 AK Subscriber Subscriber

There are tutorials on YouTube for how to pack a TT for shipping, but I agree with the above--contact whoever you are sending it to for their recommendations.

10. stereofisher

Packing a turntable is a lot of work. Must be done right or you end up with a box of junk. Just boxed a 1219. First remove the platter. I take strips of styrofoam and pad it around the tone arm to protect it. Then I put the 1219 in a plastic bag. This keeps packing from getting into it. I have seen eBayers ship turntables and styrofoam gets into them. Messy. Once covered, I bubble wrap it heavily. Then it goes in a box. Then a second box surrounded by styrofoam peanuts. You do this and no damage. I have never had anything I shipped damaged. A light bulb on a old Marantz receiver. That’s it. Seth will require the platter. I have bubble wrapped them and placed under the 1219. Once fixed, Duals last a long time.

Eric

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Calypte likes this.
  11. Calypte

Calypte Temecula, California

Thanks!

12. savatage1973

savatage1973 AK Subscriber Subscriber

In addition to the platter being removed, counterweights should also be removed and packed separately--they can come off and become little grenades inside the packing.

Calypte likes this.
  13. olddude55

olddude55 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I had someone send me a Dual 1218 with the platter left on and no circlip holding it in place. He used some kind of open cell foam to keep everything from flying around and it worked. But I'd never do it that way.
    I have a 1229Q I'll be sending up to Seth whenever he's ready for it. It'll be going in a box that was used to ship a cassette recorder from the factory, so it's a strong box. The platter will be shipped separately. Counterweight removed and wrapped in bubble wrap, etc.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  14. beej

beej Proud BaPa of G, A and AJ Subscriber

Seth (No Transistors) worked on mine. Absolutely superb work but you need to be able to speak Brooklynese.

Vinylmasters and Calypte like this.
  15. Cylontymany

Cylontymany Well-Known Member

If I had to ship for repair Seth gets my vote hands down!

Vinylmasters likes this.
  16. brentj4

brentj4 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Where are you located in the SE?

17. jlovda

jlovda Things I loved from the 60's and 70's Subscriber

I sent two Dual turntables to Fixmydual in Iowa. First, he did not require me to send my platter or counterweight. Headshell w/ cartridge was optional unless I wanted him to set it up correctly. I made a cardboard "dustcover" to protect the tone arm. TT returned in fine condition. 1219 1.jpg 1219 2.jpg

Turkus and schmikka like this.
  18. Mr Owl

Mr Owl AK Subscriber Subscriber

I just dealt with Bill from FixMyDual. I had a Golden One I bought on BT that ended up having an issue (no sound). Sent it to Bill (no need to pack the platter or the counterweight), and he quickly got to it. He told me he was three weeks out, but damn, he didn't have that turntable three days and fixed it and shipped it back. Turned out it was a bad patch cable (component cables to me). Great work, super fast, super responsive. Ended up costing me $205 with return shipping (and it cost me about $50 to get it out to him). Well worth it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  19. stereofisher

Hello neighbor! Drop a line sometime. I live in nearby Hurley. Love to hear your 3800.

Eric

20. ohiomike

ohiomike AK Subscriber Subscriber

Guess I'm going to have to send my 1218 in. The motor has developed a bad hum......