Vintage European Classic & Sports Cars, GTs

1200px-Auto_union.jpg

DKW Auto Union 1000

I can't think of any car more fun to drive then a 914/6
^ True. However whilst he was building me a Windsor motor for my Bronco I had use of my boss's 500hp '71 Pantera for about a month. So much torque even at idle dumping the clutch wouldn't stall it. I took it up to 140 on I5 south of Sacramento and had 5th gear left. A different kind of fun to drive.

...I had use of my boss's 500hp '71 Pantera for about a month

Was the '71 Pantera delivered "factory fresh" w/ that level of power, or was the engine (351cui, IIRC?) warmed over a bit w/ aftermarket goodies? I recall driving a Pantera in the mid '70s and it sure didn't "hit me" w/ anything that felt like 500 ponies. I don't recall dropping the clutch sans gas to test the "no stall" element either.

What I do recall about driving the Pantera were terrible "sight lines" and a (driver's) seat that was raather unflexible and did not (well) accommodate my 6'3" frame in a suitable fashion. But it sure looked cool and garnered a lotta stares.

I can't think of any car more fun to drive then a 914/6

GB, an hour @ the helm of my '99 SAAB Viggen ("governor" delimited) might have ya reconsidering the 914/6 experience. Jus' make sure the roads are nice 'n' dry. (note: The Viggen actually makes "short work" of driving through snowy roads, but it's s.t. I've tried but a handful of times)

Hope ya didn't test that "element" to many times...
Just once, by accident. I had just blown through an intersection doing 80 with almost no brakes due to low fluid. I admit I had the shakes for a bit.

Was the '71 Pantera delivered "factory fresh" w/ that level of power, or was the engine (351cui, IIRC?) warmed over a bit w/ aftermarket goodies? I recall driving a Pantera in the mid '70s and it sure didn't "hit me" w/ anything that felt like 500 ponies. I don't recall dropping the clutch sans gas to test the "no stall" element either.
No it was built. Yes they came with a 330hp 351 Cleveland which was a big block and even so at 3200ish lbs it was no slouch.

What I do recall about driving the Pantera were terrible "sight lines" and a (driver's) seat that was raather unflexible and did not (well) accommodate my 6'3" frame in a suitable fashion. But it sure looked cool and garnered a lotta stares.
The seats were awful and visibility sucked. The owner taught me about "Italian Lane Changes" because the mirrors were useless. You needed really wide front tires to tame the understeer so it took "Armstrong" steering in parking lots and it hunted the freeway rain grooves like a bloodhound. But in a "whips and chains" kind of way it was a blast to drive fast. Nothing subtle or refined about it.

The seats were awful and visibility sucked. The owner taught me about "Italian Lane Changes" because the mirrors were useless. You needed really wide front tires to tame the understeer so it took "Armstrong" steering in parking lots and it hunted the freeway rain grooves like a bloodhound. But in a "whips and chains" kind of way it was a blast to drive fast. Nothing subtle or refined about it.

Absent the "driving in the rain" portion, this is precisely my recollection of driving a Pantera, especially the part re: steering @ very slow speeds. Oy, that was killer to the upper torso, and especially from the position dicated by the low & "slung back" driver's seat. But @ a straightaway w/ clear sight lines... it was all zooooom!

Back in the mid `70s, my girlfriend at the time was a legal secretary for a lawyer who happened to be a hard-core car freak. He typically changed cars yearly.... in the time I knew him, he had a Maserati Bora, a Porsche 911, an E Jag, a Lambo Miura, and a Pantera. While he really liked the Pantera, it cost him more in repairs than any of the others in his stable, and he wound up selling it....

Back in the mid `70s, my girlfriend at the time was a legal secretary for a lawyer who happened to be a hard-core car freak. He typically changed cars yearly.... in the time I knew him, he had a Maserati Bora, a Porsche 911, an E Jag, a Lambo Miura, and a Pantera. While he really liked the Pantera, it cost him more in repairs than any of the others in his stable, and he wound up selling it....

George Klein was at Graceland one afternoon and commented on the Pantera sitting around in the back driveway. He asked Elvis about it and Elvis was apparently annoyed at the car at the time. It had quit on him driving in Memphis [It had a Ford engine!] and he had someone pick him up and drive him back to Graceland, and left the car on the side of the road. Even after it was returned to Graceland, they were unable to get it started again ... Now ... as Elvis is standing there relating this story to George he pulls out a handgun and shoots the car ... and it starts up and runs. (Thanks to George Klein for help with this story.)

elvis-yellow-panatera-elvis-driving-three.jpg

Back
Top Bottom