Vintage film cameras

The lil Olympus I found this week at GW...

recentpicturespc3.jpg

Didn't see this thread before, so I am reaching back a bunch of posts -- Mark (as in Hardy) Leicas and Nikons aren't made of steel and Canonets aren't made of aluminum. I'm pretty certain they are all chromed brass. There may be steel bodied cameras, but I can't think of one, and it would have to have a really odd shape because its hard to draw into the correct shape. Incidentally, the reason it took so long for plastic (which is a great material for casting etc, loathsome as it is in audio equipment) to take over in the camera world is that someone had to have the idea to copperplate the plastic -- its a very thin layer but it stiffens the plastic sufficiently to make it usable.
I used to do lots with collectible cameras, and got quite good at repairs, though I was never any good at fixing electronic cameras, a weakness that I have, alas, transferred to audio.

Here's an FM with the later production f/1.8 lens without the aperture ring coupling bracket. The foam around the film door is crumbling and needs to be replaced. From the front, the FM looks nearly identical to the FE.

Murray

Attachments

• fm 7-18-08.jpg
    fm 7-18-08.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 71
Here are a few Fuji cameras from my collection; the Fujica 35EE, 645S Folder and 645Zi:

Attachments

• Fujica__35EE.jpg
    Fujica__35EE.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Fuji645S-Folder_Fuji645Z1.jpg
    Fuji645S-Folder_Fuji645Z1.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 42
  • Fuji_GA645SFolder.jpg
    Fuji_GA645SFolder.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Fuji--645Z1.jpg
    Fuji--645Z1.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 35
The lil Olympus I found this week at GW...

recentpicturespc3.jpg

That's a nice little find; I should check out GW & SA a little more often. Here's a couple of other small Olympus models, the XA and the 35RC

Attachments

• OlympusXA__Olympus35RC.jpg
    OlympusXA__Olympus35RC.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 41
Was the 645S folder the last of that style from any maker? I'm talking about the bellows folding camera and not a camera with an extendable lense such as the Rollei 35 series or even the Minox ML/GL. I remember when it was out no one else had made one for some time but a couple of companies had some mules; not sure if any saw the light of production.

Was the 645S folder the last of that style from any maker? I'm talking about the bellows folding camera and not a camera with an extendable lense such as the Rollei 35 series or even the Minox ML/GL. I remember when it was out no one else had made one for some time but a couple of companies had some mules; not sure if any saw the light of production.

I don't know; the GS645 was introduced ~1983 I believe but not sure when dicontinued.

Posted this image in the AE-1 thread but figured it might fit here, too.

I should re-shoot it since I really wasn't trying to get a *good* shot -- just a snap.

Anyway... in 1981, I traded a Leica rangefinder (M5) and 2 lenses (35/1.4 and 90/2) for all of this Canon stuff. A nice set-up that was actively used for 26 years but is in pristine condition. Went digital in 1997.

153749531_xoPLb-L.jpg

Posted this image in the AE-1 thread but figured it might fit here, too.

I should re-shoot it since I really wasn't trying to get a *good* shot -- just a snap.

Anyway... in 1981, I traded a Leica rangefinder (M5) and 2 lenses (35/1.4 and 90/2) for all of this Canon stuff. A nice set-up that was actively used for 26 years but is in pristine condition. Went digital in 1997.

153749531_xoPLb-L.jpg

Nice Canon set there, cpmschd, with some serious looking glass. The Leica is a great camera too.

Hmm, did you mean to say you went digital in 2007 not 1997 for 26 years usage since 1981? If it was 1997, you started early in the digital age.

Just got this 124 G. Everything seems to work; shutter speeds seem ok, focus is smooth and the light meter is responsive but seems to read way low. Perhaps the battery is shot.

The light seals around the film door are gummy and the foam in front of the view finder door is crumbling so it doesn't look like I'll be snapping any photos this weekend. :no:

MF is completely new to me so I'm pretty excited about this little guy and anxious to get started.

Murray

Attachments

• yashica 7-30-08.jpg
    yashica 7-30-08.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 45
The medium format is a great size to work with and those Yashicas are a great way to get started. They have sharp optics in my experience. They are a fun camera to work with.

Funny, there was a Mat G auction and a set of accessory lens for sale by a sell on the auction sight that I was tracking and looked really good. I was almost tempted to pull the trigger but with the Bronica and the amount of shooting I'm doing I figured it would sit. Now, you are making me regret it.

The medium format is a great size to work with and those Yashicas are a great way to get started. They have sharp optics in my experience. They are a fun camera to work with.
I think it will be a lot of fun, too. I've sorta wanted to get an MF for a long time and the posts here at AK pushed me over the edge.

Funny, there was a Mat G auction and a set of accessory lens for sale by a sell on the auction sight that I was tracking and looked really good. I was almost tempted to pull the trigger but with the Bronica and the amount of shooting I'm doing I figured it would sit. Now, you are making me regret it.
My dad had a TLR when I was a kid and I remember him setting it up on the tripod and taking pictures at Easter, birthdays and the like and he used a hand-held meter. I don't remember what kind of camera it was but I thought the large viewfinder that you looked down into was pretty neat. He let me take pictures with it, sometimes, and he always would say, "put the strap around your neck." Then, after a few seconds, he would take the strap, put it over my head and tell me again, "put the strap around your neck." :D

Murray

I also saw my first views through a TLR, an Argus something or other that used 620 and has a viewfinder just bright enough to see an image on a f/16 day. Best advice anyone can give to a person with a camera is to make sure you get that strap around your neck. It is amazing how many digital camera users I se with cameras with the lugs nacked of any strap. The strap also can be used to steady shake and when used like a rifle sling can sub for a tripod. I used to adjust my strap sling length though the camera would hang a bit low so finally you could always tell who I was in the crowd as I had 2 straps, one adjusted for the neck and the other sling length.

Since I'm so tickled to have this camera, you guys get to see another pic of it, this time with some better lighting. :D

I'm sending it off tomorrow to Georgia for a checkup and to have the foam replaced.

Murray

Attachments

• yashica 7-31-08.jpg
    yashica 7-31-08.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 53
It's great to see such enthusiasm for film cameras. With all the "special clubs" that are now forming in AK maybe someone should start a Medium Format Film Club. Might be reason enough to dust off your enlarger.

Wouldn't that be a darkroom group? MF is not a criteria for darkroom. I actually had mine before I moved up to MF and had closed the darkroom due to a move. A MF and large format group or groups would be cool. Last night I pulled out the Bronica and started dusting it off. So, I get a dslr that is just coming to market and pull out the ERTS and I wonder why my wife thinks I'm batty.

Back
Top Bottom