Vintage film cameras

Discussion in 'Cameras and Photography' started by mhardy6647, Jul 4, 2008.

1. 2526

2526 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a mint sp and an as new leica iiig in my safe deposit box - visit them periodically to work the shutters.

Fleischer likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. trikster

trikster Well-Known Member

Should take them out and use them. More than just the shutter mechanism can seize up. Shame to have them sitting in a dark place forever.

Fleischer and Audioraven like this.
  3. Fleischer

Fleischer Active Member

IMG_20180914_093737.jpg Much rarer than a Nikon SP. Leica Ig, this one with a 3.5 cm f3.5 Elmar, and a canon 35mm finder.

4. Fleischer

Fleischer Active Member

5. Fleischer

Fleischer Active Member

Can't see the text I posted with the pic above. Nicca 5L/Tower 45, a Leica screwmount copy with some of the features of the bayonet mount Leicas, such as lever wind and flip open back for film loading. To my taste, better than a Leica IIIg.

6. Johnno_Oz

Johnno_Oz AK Subscriber Subscriber

IIIg.jpg

Here's my IIIg. It needs repair, the shutter curtain has worked loose on one side.

Someone has put it in a vice in its very adventurous earlier life.

7. Fleischer

Fleischer Active Member

Yipe! That's been ridden hard and put away wet. I've found Leicas in worse-looking shape that came up fine. Have a red curtain IIIc that spent decades in someone's tacklebox. Covered with years of dried fish slime and missing it's vulcanite. Was serviced by the late Reinhold Mueller, a former Leica Canada employee who bought up a lot of Leica Midland stock, and recovered with real factory vulcanite. The fish slime came off with Q tips and water. I wish as pleasant a result with your IIIg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 2:55 PM
    cratz2 likes this.
  8. Fleischer

Fleischer Active Member

IMG_20180914_151707.jpg In front, postwar Leica IIIc with 50mm f2 Summitar lens and rapid wind accessory. Behind it is the formerly fish slime adorned 1940 Leica red curtain IIIc with (gasp!) original red shutter curtains.

Old Ears too, cratz2 and MaxxVolume like this.
  9. Fleischer

Fleischer Active Member

IMG_20180915_104040.jpg Zeiss Ikon Contax II (with 50mm f1.5 Zeiss Opton Sonnar) and Contax III with Zeiss body cap.

10. Fleischer

Fleischer Active Member

I love the Contax II. Once you've mastered "the Contax grip" it is a wonderful camera and way ahead of pre-M series Leicas. The Sonnars are also clearly better than any Leica lens before the Summicron. Also, when I shoot with most vintage 35mm cameras, nobody seems to notice. But every time I'm out with the Contax II, someone always says (to my chagrin) "Great camera! Isn't that a Leica?". :-(

11. Krosya

Krosya Well-Known Member

Well, sonnars have different signature, but as far as better - depends on what you like. While I too like the sonnar design and the way they draw, I also like Summitars, for example. I tried Contax RF at some point and while I like some things about it, it never felt as comfortable to me as Leica. But I like Konica Hexar RF even better. And even Leica I like is the least traditional - M5. I had M3, M6 and M5. To me M5 is far more comfortable than any others and thats the one I still have, while others are long since sold. Older screw mount ones - are just fun to use, not the most comfortable, but rather cool.
    But even more I like to use folding rangefinders 6x6 or 6x9 format - those are lots of fun and great pieces of history, while capable of very good results.

setup1 likes this.

12. Krosya

Krosya Well-Known Member

I had one of these a while back, till it broke. Great camera with amazing lens - if it works properly it can deliver superb results!

13. Fleischer

Fleischer Active Member

I am a huge folder fan too, Krosya, with a particularly weak spot for Voigtlanders. And don't get me going about Japanese rangefinders - they are just wonderful. My faves are the Konica auto S3 and the little Olympus XA cameras, particularly the one with the 28mm lens. Don't mistake my comments on Leica as Leica-bashing. I have several, and do enjoy the signature of many of their lenses - even the much-despised Summar, which I never fully appreciated until I found an immaculate one, which is now a favoured portrait lens with bokeh to die for. So many good cameras. So few opportunities to use them......

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018 at 12:44 PM
  14. Old Ears too

Old Ears too Well-Known Member

You've got a nice collection of cameras there Fleischer, thanks for sharing them with us.
    I inherited my Leica's (IIIa & M3) but don't use them since I can't afford film and its costs.
    I do shoot the lenses on occasion with my Sony A7ii.

cratz2 and Fleischer like this.
  15. Fleischer

Fleischer Active Member

IMG_20180915_172214.jpg Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta A with Schneider Kreuznach Xenar 75mm f3.5 lens mounted in a Compur-Rapid shutter. Takes 6 x 4.5 pics and has a coupled rangefinder. Was only made with this lens in 1948, so this is uncommon.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 6:49 PM
    cratz2 and Old Ears too like this.
  16. Johnno_Oz

Johnno_Oz AK Subscriber Subscriber

3730940534_d084672883_o(1).jpg
    3648100981_01315571c8_z.jpg

Probably my favourite camera in my collection along with my Canonet QL-17. A Voigtlander Vito II with a clip on Voigtlander rangefinder. Manually cocked Compur Shutter with a lovely Color Skopar 1:3.5/50mm lens. Despite being all manual it is surprisingly easy to use. Results below on using Ilford XP2 film.

3649769038_7ef2f55b88_o.jpg

cratz2, Audioraven, trikster and 2 others like this.

17. Old Ears too

This is the largest section of my camera collection.
    DSC06818 (Large).jpeg
    opps, sorry, these aren't film cameras obviously.

cratz2 and Fleischer like this.
  18. Fleischer

Fleischer Active Member

IMG_20180915_182109.jpg Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta B with Compur-Rapid shutter and 8 cm f2.8 Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar lens. 6 x 6 with coupled rangefinder.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 6:50 PM
    Krosya likes this.
  19. Fleischer

Fleischer Active Member

I have a real thing for Color Skopar lenses and really like how the blues in colour photos really "snap" when taken with them.

Johnno_Oz likes this.
  20. Old Ears too

I haven't taken pictures of my cameras for some time now, other than the SD's that is.
    This is a camera I bought for the lens that was on it. I sold this kit shortly after getting the camera. Never put any film thru it.
    DSC01324-1 (Large).jpg

cratz2 and Audioraven like this.