Vintage Fords, Lincolns, and Mercurys!!

Discussion in 'Wheels, Wings, Mud, and Water' started by Adam, Nov 19, 2006.

1. GalaxieRange

GalaxieRange New Member

It did with highway gears in the rear. Took forever to reach it though.

2. Ross6860

Ross6860 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sounds like a nice balanced build for the street.

FWIW if you haven't picked a torque converter Coan will make one for you to fit your car's weight, planned build and end-use. Not much more than an off-the-shelf unit. Real happy with mine. No slop or excessive heat on the highway, and the launch is just about perfect.

I went a little conservative and I already plan on changing the intake to an RPM Air Gap (they don't make an RPM for the Cleveland), and bumping from a 670 cfm to a 750 cfm carb. I wasn't sure it would fit under the hood but I ran into a guy at Carlisle running one in the same car and he didn't have any issues.

3. GalaxieRange

GalaxieRange New Member

I have a 2500 RPM stall converter. A company has made some adapters for the FE to allow the use of Cleveland and other Ford intakes.

Crazily enough the old Y blocks had an air gap intake from the factory.

4. exhippy

exhippy I use to have long hair. Now I'm lucky to have any Subscriber

Not mine...

Wish it was!

1969-ford-mustang-rear-side-view.jpg

5. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

Any vintage ford model a lovers here?Been thinking more and more about a model A for in the future.Stock of course.Maybe even the 1 1/2 truck.

6. Ross6860

7. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

On the other end of the spectrum would be a 58 /59 stationwagon possibly.Similar to this ,most likely this over an A [​IMG]

8. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Addicted Member

Some of you might remember the Capri which was a German Ford sold by Mercury dealers. Mine was a 1973 2600cc 4 speed and it was one of the first if not the first V-6 powered cars sold in the US.

It was my first good handling car and I recall having to replace the clutch within the first year. Too many tire chirps. :oops:

[​IMG]

sfox52 and guiller like this.
  9. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

Buick has had v6 powered cars since 1961.

10. SPL db

SPL db It's all about the music! Subscriber

11. Ross6860

College buddy had one in the early 80's. It was a blast.

He had side pipes and upgraded wheels and tires. Very healthy performance from a neat little car. Way better than Triumph or MG coupes IMO.

Kind of rare and expensive if you can find a nice one...

12. jimbo2k

jimbo2k SWTPc Tiger 01s Tiger 215 2000ESD SB Touch BX300

My second car. 1954 Mercury sun valley, similar to this one. Metalic blue and white, blue and white leather interior. 256 ohv with a 4 barrel, 3 spd (on the foor) with overdrive and 4.29 gears. Reiable and quick in a 1950s kinda way. Had it a year, crashed it, always missed it. In the top 5 of favorites ive owned.

Attached Files:

13. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Addicted Member

First car I ever bought was a 1969 Fairlane with an anemic 302. The fast back was all the rage but I went with the cheaper hardtop which I think looks better today.

[​IMG]

guiller likes this.
  14. noogies

noogies My Favorite Woofers. Subscriber

Nice. Love the GT wheels on that as well as on the Cougar above.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  15. noogies

Tut, tut, my good man -- have you forgotten the 1962 Buick Fireball 198? :D

16. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

1961 BUICK HAD THE V6 .Drove a 428scj cougar ,lets just say wow.

17. noogies

My recollection is that it did in fact come out in 1961, but as a '62 model. I could be wrong.

18. Shadowdog

Shadowdog Super Member

Ford did have the first 60 degree V6 of the US companies though and was nice for the small cars.

19. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

Ford v6 was introduced in 1966.GM introduced a 60 degree v6 in 1959 for trucks then in 61 for it looks like the 62 model year for buick.Technically Marmon was the first u.s. company with v6.They also had a v2.v4 v8 and v16.From 1905 till 1930,s or so.Actually as far as i can read the ford v6 was a u.k motor not american and v6,s didnt come to ford in n.a till much later ,late 70,s early 80,s.https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/V6_engine

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  20. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

Shadowdog being a canuck your probably remembering the limey imports way back when.My dad had an austin 40? back in the 50,s.Ford had 2 v6,s back then the essex v6 and the cologne. v6 one made in England the other in Germany,but they wernt in any american fords of the 60,s as far as i can recal ,they used the 240 straight six and a smaller one.