Vintage Fords, Lincolns, and Mercurys!!

Discussion in 'Wheels, Wings, Mud, and Water' started by Adam, Nov 19, 2006.

1. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

Actually that car is being auctioned as we speak and was formerly owned by Joey Buttafuco . I have no connection .

Please register to disable this ad.

2. NeedForSpeed

NeedForSpeed Hands Off The Stereo Subscriber

David Person's 69 sloped nose Cyclone. Banned in 70!
    IMG_0137.JPG

3. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

That is one of the prettiest cars I have ever seen . I have the model of it .

NeedForSpeed likes this.
  4. noogies

noogies My Favorite Woofers. Subscriber

Beautiful picture, but I'm pretty sure that's a '70.

NeedForSpeed likes this.
  5. Ross6860

Ross6860 AK Subscriber Subscriber

They didn't ban the body, they changed the engine specs. They would have to have banned the Superbirds and Daytona Chargers, too. They were even more aerodynamic.

Back when they could run 426 Hemis and Boss 429s, they were breaking 200 mph on the straights. That's with late 60's early 70's technology. Scary!

Cale Yarborough drove a Cyclone in 1970 and qualified at 194+ mph at Daytona.

Also in 1970 Buddy Baker broke 200 mph average speed for qualifying at Talladega in a Daytona Charger.

In 1971 they limited the "special cars" to 305 in^3 (Superbirds, Daytona Chargers, Mercury Cyclone, and Ford Talladega) and their speeds fell 12 mph or so.

I believe in 1974 they limited all engines to 358 in^3 ending the era of the "big block" and restrictor plates were in common use by 1988 at the superspeedways.

Some of the details may be off a year or two but you get the gist.

UncleBingo and NeedForSpeed like this.
  6. NeedForSpeed

Great info. I watch a lot of NASCAR on wide world of sports back then. I thought NASCAR had an issue with the bodywork. Buddy Baker was fearless. I remember a 500 where he averaged close to 200mph in an Oldsmobile. 70's racing was way better than now. Even early plate racing.

UncleBingo likes this.

7. NeedForSpeed

Could very well be. Need to check that, Thanks

noogies likes this.
  8. Ross6860

Ross6860 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Certainly more "character", or should I say characters, back then. The spirit was still of the moonshiners running from the law.

Cale Yarborough was my favorite back in the day. Junior Johnson was always getting busted for "secret" fuel tanks or some other skirting of the rules.

Oh, and you could actually tell a Ford from a Chevy from Dodge, too.

I haven't watched a NASCAR race in years, or any other form of racing other than motorcycles, and that's a rare event.

noogies, slow_jazz and NeedForSpeed like this.
  9. NeedForSpeed

Me either, Since Earnhardt was killed. Everything looks the same. Watch a lot of NHRA.

10. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

What turned me off was the chase and now this years nonsence.

11. noogies

Two words: Smokey Yunick. Anybody remember the famous 7/8 scale '66 Chevelle?

UncleBingo likes this.

12. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

Must of been the first of the Metric Cars,lol.

noogies likes this.
  13. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Buick had the 231 V6 (later became the 3.8, 3800, 3800 Series II) long before the Capri was sold in the USA from the early 1960's.. I still love that Capri, er sexy European import. One of the nicest looking cars then or now.

14. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Addicted Member

One of the first V-6's sold in quantity in the US. A fantastic handling car it was a very successful rally car in 70's Europe.

davidb1 likes this.
  15. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

P.S. While not vintage, I drive a Ford, a 1999 Taurus SE Station Wagon (Il Toro Spazzo). My first Ford, I've loved them but never owned one for many years. I like my car. Some of the quietest and best riding cars I've ever been in have been Fords. And well built overall.

16. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

I had a 85 cougar with the 3.8 v6 .That car handled like it was on rails and could cruise at 85mph easily.Got decent gas mileage to boot.Very close to this one.[​IMG]

KentTeffeteller likes this.

17. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Addicted Member

My brother-in-law had a 5 speed SHO with the Yamaha heads. Really quick but the crappy take up on the clutch made a smooth shift difficult.

[​IMG]

18. noogies

Saw "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" last night for the first time in many years. I'd forgotten that they trashed a sweet little '69 Cougar convertible in that movie. No call-outs, but judging by the hood scoop it could have been a CJ428.

19. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

I drove the 428scj version noogies.May I say it was a handful! [​IMG]Similar to this

noogies likes this.
  20. noogies

Nice. I always liked the '69s a little better, though. Didn't like the big honker on the '70 so much. Was yours an Eliminator?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018