Vintage Fords, Lincolns, and Mercurys!!

If I could go back in time to before I was born, I'd buy up all the Mercury coupes from that era, right before James Dean became famous.

Then....PROFIT....

I would be happy with one 427 Cobra. $7500 new (which was about 2x a Corvette), maybe worth $500k to $1MM today. More for the right car.

shelby-1.jpg

I would be happy with one 427 Cobra. $7500 new (which was about 2x a Corvette), maybe worth $500k to $1MM today. More for the right car.

View attachment 1347292

I actually got to ride in one of those a long time ago. I have me getting in and out of the Cobra around here somewhere on VHS. It was at Brown County State Park in Nashville, In. at a Shelby/Mustang show. There were two guys giving rides to the top of the hill and back. I rode in the one with the 427 and my son rode in the one with a 289. The 427 Cobra that I rode in was loading up and he barked the tires a little bit as he was getting the rpms higher but it was a calm ride. My son said that the guy he rode with got on it a little bit when he started back. My son grabbed a bar that was mounted in the car and the guy laughed and said that he had to do that a few times too. I didn't think that anyone would let you sit in their Cobra and they took us for a ride. Great guys!

1963 Mustang II

img040.jpg

Falcon GT
97f0f507-f454-41fa-b37b-b0f99c2dc052.jpg

img018.jpg

I'd expect neither. 302 came out in 1968, the 351c was '69. If that was a prototype for the Mustang, I'd expect a 260 V8 or whatever the I6 was. 289 came out in 1963, possibly it got an early one.

I'd expect neither. 302 came out in 1968, the 351c was '69. If that was a prototype for the Mustang, I'd expect a 260 V8 or whatever the I6 was. 289 came out in 1963, possibly it got an early one.

I think Ross6860 was asking about the Falcon GT, they had 302's or Cleveland's. the '63 Mustang II had a 289, I thought it had a 260 but it somehow got a 289 in '63. that picture was taken at the Owl's Head Transportation museum in Maine in the early 90's

I had a 69 Torino with a 302 but that Ford looks newer. 1964 was the first year for the Mustang. The Mustang II came out in the 70's.

I think Ross6860 was asking about the Falcon GT, they had 302's or Cleveland's. the '63 Mustang II had a 289, I thought it had a 260 but it somehow got a 289 in '63. that picture was taken at the Owl's Head Transportation museum in Maine in the early 90's

Yes, the Falcon GT was built by Ford Australia (thus, the Super Roo). They built some nice cars down under. Mad Max's "V8 Interceptor" was a modified Falcon GT.

The last Holden Monaro came to the US as the resurrected Pontiac GTO.

Our Australian friends built the 351C long after it went away in the States where it only had a 4 or 5-year run (late '69 through '74). They even built a factory 302 with small-chamber/small-port heads and a de-stroked crankshaft on their version of the 335 block.

My 408 Cleveland was built using Aussie small-port quench heads.

https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/features/1308/history-of-the-ford-351-v8-engine-aussie-connection

I don't know if anyone mentioned this Ford orphan which didn't last long in the US. I almost bought one when dealers were selling them off at drastically reduced prices. They were turbo charged and fast for the times. Always liked them but haven't seen one on the road in years.

merkur.jpg

I don't know if anyone mentioned this Ford orphan which didn't last long in the US. I almost bought one when dealers were selling them off at drastically reduced prices. They were turbo charged and fast for the times. Always liked them but haven't seen one on the road in years.

merkur.jpg

Another Teutonic Ford.

They were all nice in their own way, even the lowly first-generation Fiesta.

We had a V6 Capri for a while, and so did a buddy in college. A very nice, sporty, little coupe.

I was a Merkur fan when they were new.

I had it's replacement, the Festiva which was actually a Mazda 121 built by Kia, though the drive train came from Japan. I believe Ford of Europe had input as it could be driven at autobahn speeds!

R&T test sold me on it and kept it for 10 yrs and put 200K KM or 120K miles on it

It too was fun to drive when the roads weren't slippery or had standing water on the highway!

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Ford dropping production of cars in US except for Mustang, trucks and SUV's?

Man that's a bitter pill to swallow.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Ford dropping production of cars in US except for Mustang, trucks and SUV's?

Man that's a bitter pill to swallow.

I believe so. I'm way out of touch, but I've heard that from a couple sources.

I thought they had to make some econo-boxes to meet the CAFE standards, or do they no longer exist? Maybe trucks are exempt?:dunno:

Last time I checked, trucks & SUVs over a certain weight were exempt, as they qualified as work vehicles. No idea if the law's been changed again since then though.

Back
Top Bottom