Vintage Fords, Lincolns, and Mercurys!!

jpdylon said:
three on the tree! Don't see alot of that anymore. What did it have for a power plant? 250 straight six?

Bet it wasn't fun double-clutching that into first. :no:

It had a 200 which is a fine little engine but I tried to set it up with a weber carb and had mixed results; it was slow but got a little over 20mpg. I also had a 3ontree Dodge truck at the time, not many twenty-somethings who can say that (not that they would necessarily want to). Didn't have to double clutch them but still I got tired of it living in the middle of town, I'm sticking with automatics for the foreseeable future.

SPL db said:
Friend of mine had one of those when he got divorced from his first wife.

His was the plain-jane version... only option it had was the 221 V8.

Well this was a 500 but other than that it was very plain jane. The previous owner had did an amateur restoration on it (including a very amateur paint-job) and I put quite a lot of money and time in it also. But it was no moneymaker come selling time.:no: Still I enjoyed the ownership experience, not many people driving 40 yo cars as daily drivers in Indiana.:thmbsp: That 221 was the original Ford smallblock v8 I think. It became the 260, 289, and 302. I had a '64 with a 289 and cruisomatic, would love to have one restored.:sigh:

Yeah, 221 was the displacement of the old flatheads of yore;there was a lot of nostalgia for that size at Ford's. It was NOT a bad engine, but it just didn't quite have the suds for modern (1962) driving, so they bored it out, first to 260, which was better, but still not "there". They finally hit the jackpot w/the 289 version, which was one of the screamingest "little" V-8s of the '60s.

Ford Mo Co

Like many of the GM products and a few of the Mopars, most of these saw duty as film cars in the 1970s and 1980s.

1. 1956 Fairlane - Runs well, very clean in/out.
2. 1961 Skyliner - Convertible, pretty rare and a little rough as depicted.
This will be the first of the Fords we'll bring back to full resto.
3. 1961 Mercury Comet - A station wagon and a nice one. This guy is
very clean & it runs well. Thinking of chopping, shaving, dropping and
rodding it.
4. 1967 XL - This will be restored to spec, it's an all-original Q-code 428 cid.
(this one was not a "movie" car)

Attachments

• 1956 Ford Fairlane.JPG
    1956 Ford Fairlane.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 1961 Ford Sunliner.JPG
    1961 Ford Sunliner.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 1961 Mercury Comet Wagon.JPG
    1961 Mercury Comet Wagon.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 1967 Ford XL 7L.JPG
    1967 Ford XL 7L.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 71
I suppose I should get my baby in here too ...since its a Merc!!!!!

1966 Mercury Parklane...

1301the_merc_005-med.jpg

I do have the missing chrome strip...just need new clips to hold it on....

This is a 330hp 410 ci powerhouse ...only 5hp less than the 428 cj...

13012_After-med.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my 1978 Mercury Grand Marquis...it has more than 261,000 miles; drives 30 to 50 miles 7 days a week and gets about 16 MPG. Original engine and transmission.
Has new radiator, carburetor, alternator, voltage regulator, valve cover gaskets, fuel pump, all brake system components and suspension/steering components completely redone, new mechanical gauges installed. (orginally had no engine gauges at all).

Attachments

• marquisgauge1small.JPG
    marquisgauge1small.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 60
  • marquisdashboardsmall.jpg
    marquisdashboardsmall.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 58
  • marquissidecrop.jpg
    marquissidecrop.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 67
The Parklane became the Marquis in 67.. so basicly the Grand Marquis is my merc 12 years newer .. its in great shape for a 78.. nice ride...:thmbsp:

My dad liked Mercs, so we had 3-a '64 Comet Villager station wagon-it had an air conditioner, a big deal then, it was a chrome box that hung under the middle of the dash. Wasn't worth a damn-it would freeze up & get frosty-white an hour or so after you turned it on. Think the dealer installed it, & Daddy said they didn't know what they were doing. The next one was a '67 Colony Park, seems like it had a 390 in it. I liked it- I wanted a Lincoln, but Daddy said they cost too much, this was sorta a Lincoln's kid brother...It had that whoop-de-do "opens either way" tailgate that Ford made such a big deal over. The last one was a '71 Colony Park, it had a 429 or somesuch in it, VERY plush for a mommymobile. Those old station wagons may not have been the most practical things that ever were, but they were Hot Stuff in suburban America 1955-85 or so, till Chrysler invented the minivan.

SPL db said:
Must have just had it repainted in that pic... can still see the over spray on the tires. :yes: :thmbsp:

Scott

I painted that car myself. That picture was taken about 3 weeks or so after I painted it, as I had already cut and polished the laquer and just finished putting all of the chrome back on. That car needed a lot of body work, it took me a year of weekends and one entire summer to do the body on that car. I looked around but I couldn't find a 'before' picture. But here's a picture of that car after I machine polished the paint a second time, and just finished putting on several coats of wax about 6 months later. It's a photo of a photo, so the quality of the pic isn't that great...

Last edited:
Whoa there's a lot of nice Found On Roadside Deads around heah!

My favorite alltime car was my 1976 Lincoln Mk 4.

I can't find a pic with the same color scheme (Crystal Light Jade Metallic paint, Dark Jade 1/4 roof, light green/dark green/silver leather interior, with a moonroof the size of Texas), but threw up a pic anyway, it is different colors but the same scheme:

Attachments

• Linc1.jpg
    Linc1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 48
  • linc2.jpg
    linc2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 44
Woooowww!!!!

Oh man, those are REAL beauties... I'm drooling...SPECIALLY fot the VERY OLD Ford, is that a pre-Model T? What year is that one from? That car is a REAL TIME MACHINE! Thank you so much for sharing those photos!

One question: how you were able to post photos that seen to have huge size files? Everytime I tried to post a very big picture, I had to diminish it, to be able to post.

Hard to tell what year the "early roadster" is. Think its a T model, the shape of the rear fenders tells me its a 1915-16 model, but the cowl & radiator are "wrong'. The front axle looks "wrong" for a T, as well. The A models are all pre-1931 models, I think, the Tudor is a '28 or '29, because of the embossed line in front of the door. 1931 A-models are easy to spot, they have painted inserts to the top & bottom inside the radiator shell.

Well,, How bout a one owner Maverick? I ordered this car in the fall of 1975. It is a 76 Stallion, which replaced the Grabber. I still have tons of fun with this car.
Dan

Attachments

• 2favstallion.jpg
    2favstallion.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 103
Wow, nice Maverick man. I have a 1975 Maverick 2-door. Nothing amazing, just a clean little maverick. 6 cyl, automatic. They are awesome cars, and this one is just holding me over for me 302 floor shift one. I also Have a 1972 LTD Convt, a 1968 Ford Fairlane Convt, and my pride and joy, a 1984 Ford Crown Victoria Station Wagon.

Most of my cars have been Fords.

1990 Ford Taurus - 1999-2000
1969 Mercury Cougar convertible - 2000-2003
1975 Ford Granada Ghia - 2002-2004 (My baby!)
1993 Mercury Grand Marquis - 2004
1996 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - 2004-2007

...driving a '93 Subaru now. Good on gas. *shoot me now*

Four 1930's Fords - from the same guy who own the Cadillac rented for weddings whose picture I put on the thread of pictures of vintage GM cars.

Attachments

• carro4portas.jpg
    carro4portas.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 20
  • carrogang.jpg
    carrogang.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 23
  • carrosogra.jpg
    carrosogra.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 25
  • carrovinho.jpg
    carrovinho.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 32
Not really vintage, but getting there:

bjmus01b.jpg

1986 Ford Mustang (5.0/5 speed)

bjbro30b.jpg

1990 Ford Bronco (5.0/AOD, both crate)

A little newer:

bj150b.jpg

2003 Ford F-150 (Supercharged 5.8/4 speed auto)

Nice Bronco! wow, no rust, Ill have some pics of the f-25o platinum up after i get the lift on her! not vintage though..

I've currently got the aptly-named Ford Chateau, big as a house. Perfect for curbside junk retrieval.

My in-laws have had some beautiful cars, here's my Father-In-Law's old '95 Ranger STX (I had it for a while, sold it to a friend's daughter to pull her horse trailer) and my Mother-In-Law's 64 1/2 Mustang convertible. That car was one of the reasons Ray pursued dating Sue, and was promised to me as a dowry if I married their daughter. I passed on the car and it was given to a family friend that owned a body shop, it's now drop-dead gorgeous in red, but I preferred the blue/white myself. Ray had dropped in a V8 and heftier suspension, so it wasn't exactly pristine anymore.

We've also got a white '95 Explorer Expedition at our house in PA, pretty but kinda scary to drive. 2-door, very short wheelbase, very twitchy.

Enjoy.

je

Attachments

• chateau.JPG
    chateau.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 332
  • nocap.jpg
    nocap.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 128
  • MustangBridge (Medium).jpg
    MustangBridge (Medium).jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 30