Vintage gear that makes you say "Wow"...

That unit did sound better with the GamuT CD-1 than an older Audio Research SP-9 MKIII in terms of transparency and image width. The GamuT had exceptionally low impedance along with high output which worked very well. The prototype was made using Radio Shack parts and ran about $15 in parts.

Beyond a certain point, however, I have to come to agree with the Co senses that a really good active can better resistive or TVC based passives especially in terms of dynamics at both ends of the spectrum.
Really good actives that bely and justify their parts count and complexity seem so rarely found that I cashed out with a Pass DIY B-1 made with reasonably decent parts to replace my decades old passive.

Really good actives that bely and justify their parts count and complexity seem so rarely found that I cashed out with a Pass DIY B-1 made with reasonably decent parts to replace my decades old passive.
What I can say about it is that I can listen through it instead of "at" it, which is where most stuff doesn't make the cut.

They’re just pricey. :)

I needed a phono stage along with balanced outputs. Having a remote with a wide range of controls is really nice.

They’re just pricey. :)

I needed a phono stage along with balanced outputs. Having a remote with a wide range of controls is really nice.
I have the option of any number of decent outboard phono stages, so no worries. Remote would be nice tho'. Only two amps on hand have have balanced inputs.

Part of my keeping down the interconnect count. :)

I like having a high enough gain single stage phono to support my MC cartridge. I cannot imagine using a SUT, phono stage and separate line stage with three sets of cables!
You have a good point.

Part of my keeping down the interconnect count. :)

I like having a high enough gain single stage phono to support my MC cartridge. I cannot imagine using a SUT, phono stage and separate line stage with three sets of cables!
Still, it sounds better, well chosen, then most of the 'everythings all in one busy box' preamps.

My Magnepan MGllla's were a WOW moment for me.
Magnepan, one of three, maybe four now, speakers that made a permanent positive impression. Those must have been MG-IIs, bought Is back then, went without for decades and got IIIas a large handful of years ago. Such an amazing speaker.

Last edited:
3-27-14work BEST BEST larger 5 copy copy 3.jpg f copy.jpg
12-26-18
Please pardon the crappy quality of my fone’s fotos, as I'm not a cell phone type person.
I have been dreaming about AR-3a speaker since 1967, finally got them after
fulfilling my country’s military obligations ending in 1970. After purchasing the 3a's in 1972. a few months later I started dreaming about that company’s top-of-the-line models, the very rare yet famous, AR-LST.
In 1974 I bought my first high-powered amplifier, the ubiquitous Phase Linear 400 and afterwards by 1979, I could then only dream their top-of-the-line model, the Phase Linear 700 Series II.
Today and since the late 1980’s I have purchased one piece at a time till in early 2009, I had completed my dream system, once and for all.
Main sources are three full-time turntables, two CD players, two tape formats.

Because I own more records than I care to mention, (7100+), the only components I added have been moving-coil cartridges along with better tonearms.
Presently, I only 'dream' about my next MC or possible tonearm purchase. Otherwise, all components are vintage. There is no longer any further system building as it is complete. Though I have system #2 as a work in progress.

And to quote “E-Stat”, I’m a firm believer in “It’s not about loudness nor power per se. Rather, transparency and dynamic punch.”

Dynamics and transparency have always been my main concern along with naturalness and system quietness of playback.

Last edited:
Oh, E-Stat, good catch. After nearly 47 years as an AR speaker owner, early-on by 1974 and in combination with using high-powered amplifiers, there was no other recourse but
to utilize a different tweeter set-up. I presently have the required amount of AR-9 tweeters waiting in the wings for installation.

Last edited:
three full-time turntables, two CD players, two tape formats and my favorite, the vinyl disk.

That should do a nice job of providing input. I have a few too many sources, too. But you and I think that number is just about right. I guess the digital only crowd is thinking we are crazy with all that extra stuff.

As a member of the analog and digital crowd, why not one best of each?
Cause the best of digital is a moving target and gets kinda spendy right now. I have CDPs and CDCs and have upgraded chips but haven't gone all in with more gear. Budget I guess is the reason not to have the best of both. Plus when the guys come over for the listening days they bring records not cds, storage media or links with user names and passwords.

Back
Top Bottom