Vintage gear that makes you say "Wow"...

The item in question is the (late 70's or early 80's) AKG K240 Sextett LP (late production). The Sextett is apply named for the six passive radiators that surround each headphone driver. To my understanding the radiators are membranes that allow certain frequencies to pass through them and not others, resulting in a fuller frequency response.

Wonder if those might be kissing cousins of the Realistic Pro 50?

realistic-pro50-phones.jpg

The passive radiators are vented in back, but not the center driver, apparently to minimize resistance and increase travel. Excellent sound, and exceptional comfort. :thumbsup:

Wonder if those might be kissing cousins of the Realistic Pro 50?

realistic-pro50-phones.jpg

The passive radiators are vented in back, but not the center driver, apparently to minimize resistance and increase travel. Excellent sound, and exceptional comfort. :thumbsup:

Close. The Pro 50 was manufactured by AKG and a rebadged (and visually reworked) version of the AKG K250. The Sextett was the K250's predecessor.

Neat cans, none the less ...

PS ... recently scored a set of Koss K/2+2 quad phones. Common knock on those is the oil filled cushions go flat over time. Replaced those with new production foam filled. Another common issue is they were intermittent, but a good cleaning of all the pots and switches, and they be singin' sweet again.

koss-2+2-phones.jpg

Kind of an interesting design too, as the drivers are set diagonally - any other quad phone I've seen has them level front to rear. Whatever their reasoning, it does work, as these are the best surround field I've ever heard from any can plugged into my QRX 9001. Only knock I got on them is they are HEAVY ... but still comfortable for a side or two as they've got a nice support system. Hey, double the channels, double the pleasure, double the fun, right? <G>

PS ... I've heard of folk refilling the original oil pads with a couple ounces of Slime tire flat compound using a syringe. I may try that if I get bored.

What's the diff between a WOPL and a Clair Bros WOPL?

The Clair Brothers was a spec amp made for Clair Brothers Audio who ran the Flying S4 rigs at major concerts in the 70s and 80s and I think they still do in fact but different speaker arrays now?? The amps were used to drive them. Both Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd used mine :rockon:. They had special black faceplates engraved with Clair Brothers Audio and were Phase Linear 700 series II amps with hot transformers. Sorry about crappy pic, lighting bad in the livingroom for imaging a black amp. Anyway, it also has the max White Oak upgrades and puts out 514wpc

RcIgHJP.jpg

The Clair Brothers was a spec amp made for Clair Brothers Audio who ran the Flying S4 rigs at major concerts in the 70s and 80s and I think they still do in fact but different speaker arrays now?? The amps were used to drive them. Both Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd used mine :rockon:. They had special black faceplates engraved with Clair Brothers Audio and were Phase Linear 700 series II amps with hot transformers. Sorry about crappy pic, lighting bad in the livingroom for imaging a black amp. Anyway, it also has the max White Oak upgrades and puts out 514wpc

RcIgHJP.jpg
What kind of speakers do you run Cerwin Vega? They don't need all that power?

What kind of speakers do you run Cerwin Vega? They don't need all that power?

D9s and E-712s

I guess technically they don't need that much power Dave, I don't think anyone could stay in a 26x20 living room with a WOPL at max output for long (or any high power amp). I run out of speaker long before I run out of amp anyway. Call it headroom reserve then

^^ my parents were too cheap and proper to get me a boombox when I was a younger teen, and these things were all the rage. Booo I wanted one!

A lot of the old gear I find has issues. I would say right now that my Adcom GF-535 paired with RSL Elans make me say wow, as does my Tecnics SL-1200, even though it needs a new tone arm.

RcIgHJP.jpg
Blew many a fuse in my old 700b from too much volume crank...those were the days,just glad my hearing didn't sustain damage.

hunter

Back
Top Bottom