1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Vintage gear that makes you say "Wow"...

Discussion in 'Vintage Gear - Top Performers' started by HackWhite, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Duane

Duane AK Member Subscriber

2. chevelosm

chevelosm Khosaku Kikuchi's Grandson Subscriber

Sansui Alpha 907 cd player. Mates with the integrated alpha amp.

20160615_173106-1.jpg
    20160615_174229-1.jpg

onepixel, freQ(*)Oddio and Uncle Paul like this.
  3. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

Just shy of true vintage at 23 years but still really beefy industrial high end design.
    I'd like a pair.
    IMG_1037.JPG

4. Indycar

Indycar New Member

Ds2000 - I always was intrigued by The Gryphon and their imposing presence. A pair is for sale at $7,000.00 @ audiogon.

5. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Super Member

SX-1980

WOW.....that receiver sounds good !

6. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

What shop was that may I ask? I wanna' see 'em!

7. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Some really great photos here, as usual for these types of threads. I got really interested in audio in my teens and had no money to buy anything. I do remember reading the ads in stereo magazines in their entirety though dreaming of the day that I'd own some of it. Some of those ads cemented gear and people in my mind forever. Looking through these photos is like a trip down memory lane.

Bob Carver - here was a man of genius. Pure genius. His ad copy was so far beyond intoxicating to a 15 year old. Here's a guy that has the balls to build an amp in his hotel room to take on all comers. [Where are those guys today?]

Matthew Polk - here's this guy in a white lab coat standing next to the biggest speaker I'd yet seen. He's obviously got a PH.D. in physics with a lab coat like that. His personal endorsement put it high on my must hear someday list. When I finally did hear them, they did not disappoint.

McIntosh - their ads just put it out there, there is only one BEST and that's us. No apologies. I recall sending in the card in the mail for more info at which a glorious large envelope shows up with stacks of the finest literature I'd ever seen within it. As if that wasn't enough, also included was a letter from Gordon Gow himself telling me McIntosh was Best. Just wow.

Nakamichi tape decks - from the very first time I laid eyes on a Nak, I just knew this is the deck of all decks. Want. Must have. Then I saw the Dragon in 16 Candles - that's a Nakamichi Dragon tape deck I tell my buds in the theater.

Technics Reel to Reels - what mysterious machines are these? They're HUGE but man do they look super cool, especially with those giant reels of tape and big VU meters. It would be 2015 before I finally got a RTR but the wait was definitely worth it.

The Gryphon - big, imposing, and very refined in a mechanical sorta way. The ads had only enough to pique your curiosity. You just kept turning the page back to the ad thinking you'd discover more. These just HAVE to be special.

Keep the great pics coming!

BLAH BLAH, freQ(*)Oddio and Alobar like this.
  8. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

I've been talking to the owner.

9. miscrms00

miscrms00 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Audio Video Choices near Indian School and 7th St. I think they were just in for service, but so cool.

10. bluesky

bluesky Addicted Member

1987 Sansui AU-X901. :)

11. ScottFan355

ScottFan355 Active Member

IMG_0109.JPG My Scott 355, I was in the market for a tube preamp and found this on Craigslist. In my opinion one of the prettiest examples of audio equipment ever made

danomar, mmickk, BLAH BLAH and 4 others like this.
  12. onemug

onemug AK Subscriber Subscriber

Very nice. I have a close relative of it, the 340a, that gets a lot of looks whether on or off. Sounds great also.

IMG_1524.jpg

bikehomero, mmickk, BLAH BLAH and 6 others like this.
  13. K_50

K_50 Member

And my "new" Als 40 II's.
    They have much the same characteristics, but with a richer/sweeter mid-range, and some serious added oomph down low :)

[​IMG]

14. sqlsavior

sqlsavior AK Subscriber Subscriber

15. Indycar

Indycar New Member

sqlsavior - what are we looking at ?

16. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm guessing quads?

17. Killer Fox

Killer Fox AK Subscriber Subscriber

Interesting tidbit. My dad has lived in Lititz, PA for many years and has been friends with Claire brothers. I went to a party at one of their homes once years ago where they had some cool looking gear. That wowed me but would have blown my mind if I was interested in hi fi at the time and I actually paid attention to what it was.

INdycar likes this.
  18. sqlsavior

sqlsavior AK Subscriber Subscriber

A bronze pair of Quad ESLs from the early 70s. I replaced the legs to get them up higher. They turned out well, I think. :)

Welcome to AK!

INdycar and freQ(*)Oddio like this.
  19. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

Nice speakers, beautiful environment!

Ds2000 likes this.
  20. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

DUUUUuuuuude!

I have the split level coffee table and end tables that "match" your table.

freQ(*)Oddio and Ds2000 like this.