Vintage handmade turntable. Can't stop the buzz...

eogie

Hi folks,

I'm new to this stuff. I recently picked up this turntable at a barn sale. I absolutely love the aesthetics of this thing, although I'll be building a new box/surround for it as that part is pretty damn crude.

So, I can't figure out where the buzz is coming from. There's no ground(unless the cartridge is internally grounded?). I replaced the tonearm wires and the buzz just got worse. I then found that one of the RCA plugs was loose/broken internally so I swapped out the RCA cables for another set and the buzz persisted and changed. Should I swap out the entire assembly all the way to the pre-amp? Cartridge is a Pickering XV-15.

Any help would be much appreciated. Again, I'm a novice so judge lightly.

0-6 by ,

0-4 by ,

The black wire was connected before so that wasn't the problem.
0-2 by ,

And my sloppy repair job...
0-3 by ,

Last edited:
Is the arm grounded to the chassis?

I'd ditch those ancient RCA jacks, that right there might be the source of the hum (ie: poor electrical contact due to oxidation).

Is the arm grounded to the chassis?

I'd ditch those ancient RCA jacks, that right there might be the source of the hum (ie: poor electrical contact due to oxidation).

What RCA jacks should I replace them with? If the chassis is wood, how do I ground to it?

Thank you!

Most phono stages, even on vintage receivers/amps, have a ground screw. Run the ground wire, along with the signal wires, from the turntable to the input on your pre/amp/receiver.

Most phono stages, even on vintage receivers/amps, have a ground screw. Run the ground wire, along with the signal wires, from the turntable to the input on your pre/amp/receiver.

I tried doing that but I think there are other issues keeping me from trouble shooting the ground. I think I just want to replace all of it. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

If it's buzzing all the time it's pretty easy just to take a wire and test if grounding helps by connecting it to a ground screw and holding it against the arm and/or platter (or at worst both). If I remember correctly I had this problem years ago with a turntable that was supposed to be connected to a midi system. It probably normally got grounded through the DC-cable, but I connected it to a separate wall wart and then connected it to an ordinary amp.

Edit: Do note that I didn't see the OP:s latest answer before posting.

check each of the wires in the tonearm (i.e., from where they hook to the cartridge to the jacks) for continuity.

As for troubleshooting open or poor grounds, get yourself a bag of clipleads and start jumperin' :)
https://www.parts-express.com/small-alligator-clip-test-lead-set-10-pcs--360-150
images

Are the cartridge wires in phase? Hot and Ground going to the proper pins... There could be multiple ground problems, as already mentioned,,, Modern clean jacks, and RCA cables are also important,,, try clipping all the metal parts of the TT together and connect to receiver/amp,,, remove them one at a time to find a combo that's quiet... Also motor and/switches could be dirty,,, Buzz could be the power cord if its 2wire and what else is on the circuit the motor is plugged in to... 3wire grounded motor cord may help...

check each of the wires in the tonearm (i.e., from where they hook to the cartridge to the jacks) for continuity.

As for troubleshooting open or poor grounds, get yourself a bag of clipleads and start jumperin' :)
https://www.parts-express.com/small-alligator-clip-test-lead-set-10-pcs--360-150
images

The wires are brand spankin' new and all connections are secure as far as I can tell. Can anyone point me in the direction of a new RCA phone jack? It would be great if I could screw it into the back of the new box I'll build for this thing.

Pardon if I missed it, do you have a ground wire coming off the arm? Will likely never be quiet if you don't.

Pardon if I missed it, do you have a ground wire coming off the arm? Will likely never be quiet if you don't.

I do not at the moment but I ran a wire from the arm to the pre-amp amp and it did make a SLIGHT difference although it was minimal. I think I'll have to replace all of the existing stuff first to know exactly what the problem is.

I do not at the moment but I ran a wire from the arm to the pre-amp amp and it did make a SLIGHT difference although it was minimal. I think I'll have to replace all of the existing stuff first to know exactly what the problem is.
If you can find a good point to attach it to as close as possible to where the cartridge mounts it should have the greatest benefit.

What RCA jacks should I replace them with? If the chassis is wood, how do I ground to it?

Thank you!

Not the plinth, the chassis. The metal frame that the motor and platter are connected to.

You can use any RCA jacks you want, as long as they're free from oxidation.

You likely do not need to ground the chassis, Just the arm to your preamp/amplifier/receiver

Not the plinth, the chassis. The metal frame that the motor and platter are connected to.

You can use any RCA jacks you want, as long as they're free from oxidation.

There is no metal frame. The platter is mounted directly to plywood as is the motor.

If it was mine i would run shielded wires to the tonearm then attach the shield to the tonearm, at the RCA jacks the shield to the shield of the connectors for a start. You may also have a ground loop, very dangerous or a bad(loose) AC return. Very common on older equipment.

eogie,

I have an Empire motor and platter bearing mounted in a wooden plinth. The motor and bearing are both connected to a ground wire which then goes to the same point as the tonearm ground next to the RCA connectors and from there to the pre amp. It took all that to get it quiet.

If you don't have alligator test wires, just bare both ends of a couple of wires and tape them in place until you find what needs grounding.

I don't think BC meant ditch RCA s altogether, just get a new set. The ones you have , like a lot of us vintage types, have seen better days.

eogie,

I have an Empire motor and platter bearing mounted in a wooden plinth. The motor and bearing are both connected to a ground wire which then goes to the same point as the tonearm ground next to the RCA connectors and from there to the pre amp. It took all that to get it quiet.

If you don't have alligator test wires, just bare both ends of a couple of wires and tape them in place until you find what needs grounding.

I don't think BC meant ditch RCA s altogether, just get a new set. The ones you have , like a lot of us vintage types, have seen better days.

Thank ya Doug! That's very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom