Vintage Harman Kardon seperates system..should I go for it?

z-adamson

Addicted Member
This is the HK775 monoblock amps (two total), HK725 preamp, HK715 tuner. This is all from the original owner. He also has a CD301 Harman Kardon tape deck still in the box, never opened. Lastly, the graphic EQ from the same HK7xx series is included, forgot the part number.

I can get it all for $275.

The preamp has issues. It sounds pretty good when warmed up. When cold, one channel has a lot of distortion. To correct this, he just leaves the preamp on all the time. Everything else he turns off and on as he uses it. Beyond that it looks good. Cosmetically, everything is good.

I don't really NEED it, but is this opportunity fell upon me and I am not sure if I should snag it up.

This period of HK components suffer from dirty switches and push buttons . For the most part they can be easily cleaned and lubed . I saw a set for sell here locally and the price was more than twice you are seeing . And no cassette deck either .

Amps are great. Preamp not so much. Eq bring good $$$. Worth 700++

Last edited:
Is the cassette deck any good?

How do you clean push buttons and switched? I have only every cleaned dials with deoxit.....never a push button.

I always liked the 700 series. I had the matching turntable a long time ago, but sold it. The CD301 is a good deck, one step down from the top of the line. With two of the HK775s (rarer than the stereo amp, I believe), I'd say this is a great buy. And deoxit should work as well as pushbuttons as it does on pots.

Here's a current auction for the main part of this system, to give you an idea of its worth.

That's some nice looking gear. I hope you went and grabbed it. Worse case scenario is you get to use it for a while and then punt it off for a nice profit. My train of thought has been if it's a great deal and a profit can be made just buy it if you have the funds. Sure, it may take you a little time to sell it, if you ever do, but you also are getting paid to use it. Not a bad deal.;)

I don't really NEED it, but is this opportunity fell upon me and I am not sure if I should snag it up.

I'm not looking for anything but would be sorely tempted at $275 for the lot.

At that price you can buy it, see if you like the performance, keep it, or sell it back off and likely for more than you paid.

/a no-brainer deal in other words

Got the same stack but with 2 channel amp not monos. Sounds good. Not really pretty. Limited inputs; i have to use a switch box to utilize all my sources. I paid $200 with eq and a busted single mono amp.

hello
I am totally curious
what was your decision on this system??
I would like to discuss it with you either way
thnx for your time
phee

hello
I am totally curious
what was your decision on this system??
I would like to discuss it with you either way
thnx for your time
phee
I got it all....pair of amps, preamp, tape deck, EQ, tuner.

Whatever the nature of your interest in my acquisition, ask away.

have you listened to it??
if so your opinion of it
I am most interested in the 775s workings
do you plan on keeping it??
if so all or just parts??
as I said the 775s is what I am most interested in
thnx for your time
phee

have you listened to it??
if so your opinion of it
I am most interested in the 775s workings
do you plan on keeping it??
if so all or just parts??
as I said the 775s is what I am most interested in
thnx for your time
phee
I havent done much with this system since bringing it home. The plan was to restore the amps, preamp and EQ. Not interested in listening to radio and tapes. I am not equipped to go into details as to the inner workings of the amps. The entire system is original, intact, unmodified, unmolested, functional but scratchy and in need of maintenance to restore back to spec.

I havent done much with this system since bringing it home. The plan was to restore the amps, preamp and EQ. Not interested in listening to radio and tapes. I am not equipped to go into details as to the inner workings of the amps. The entire system is original, intact, unmodified, unmolested, functional but scratchy and in need of maintenance to restore back to spec.
Hi,
Did you end up keeping the system?

Back
Top Bottom