Vintage Headphones

dspang

There was a thread on here about Superex headphones and it got me wondering. What are some of you folks' top picks for best vintage headphones?

Stax for home and I have been digging my Bayre Dynamic DT-100's for out and about use.

Pioneer.

I love my Pioneer SE-50's. I'd like to find out how to "refoam" the earpads as they are a bit flattened. For the 30 dollars they cost me, I've gotten my money's worth and more. The sound quality is good, and most exterior noise is kept out.

I've always liked the look and feel of 60's and 70's Pioneer headphones. I have two pairs of Pioneer SE-30's, an SE-505, and an SE-Q404 quad set.

I re-stuffed the ear pads on the SE-30's by cutting a small hole on the inside where it would normally be hidden.

Koss HV1L/c's are my favorite vintage, bought new and still kicking. My fairly new Alesandro MS-1's are my favorite modern phones. Can't call them cans as each is semi-open. The MS-1's are light and soooo comfy, good bass and great detail. The Koss's are right there too sonically, but a fair bit heavier. Still light by most fully closed design standards.

I picked up a pair of Sansui SS-2 a while back that aren't half bad.

no stax mind you.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0934.jpg
    IMG_0934.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 399
I love my dad's Sennheiser HD424's. The sound great and parts are still available for them. Most times when not listening to rock, they get the nod over my 1 year old Grados.

How do those pioneer phones sound dualhead and andy. Pretty decent? I see these up on ebay all the time in decent shape and for good prices.

I've owned the SE-50 and 505. Both are great cans for isolation and the sound isn't half bad either. My only gripe is that they are heavy and the top end is a little lacking. Other than that for the price they are good things.

I've heard good things about the old Signets electrostats, but I have nevr actually listened to them. I personally prefer the Koss Pro 4aa headphones for mastering work, but they weigh a ton. I like the Stax electrostat headphones, but when they get old, the ribbon material dries out in them, and then they'll crack if you crank em' up one day.

For the modern day studio monitors, I like the Sony MDR-7506 Studio Monitors, they have a rich and full sound, and have 40mm drivers in them. The noise cancellation isn't as good as the Koss ones, but for their price, they sound almost as good as the Pro 4aa's (the Koss ones are just a hair crisper in the high end, but it is really hard to notice). Not only that, but you can still get OEM parts for the Sony's

Jason

The SE-50 and 505 are two way headphones, so they could benefit from a good control cleaning and re-cap. They sound good to my ears. Of the two pairs of SE-30s I have, one is a few years older than the other and has a slightly different construction. The newer pair sounds noticeably better on the top end.

... Not only that, but you can still get OEM parts for the Sonys ...

Sure wish I could get new earpads for my MDR-V6 phones. For the number of those things that they sold and the fact that the deteriorating leatherette (very sticky) problem was known early on, it seems like Sony dropped the ball on that one.

I do like the MDR-V6s and have improvised, but....

I still have my original Sennheiser HD414's and still sound very good. Not as much bass as my newer Grado SR60's but more lively on the high end. They are my sentimental favorite as I bought them new when I was in college. The original blue foams are gone and replaced them with the yellow foams that Sennheiser still sells. I also have the Pioneer SE-405, and two pairs of the SE-305. I like the classic look of the older Pioneer's but they are heavy and are lacking in the high end.

Sure wish I could get new earpads for my MDR-V6 phones. For the number of those things that they sold and the fact that the deteriorating leatherette (very sticky) problem was known early on, it seems like Sony dropped the ball on that one.

I do like the MDR-V6s and have improvised, but....

I have heard that the fabric pads from the Beyer DT250 work very well and can be had for about $20 .

I found a pair of 60's Japanese-made Elega headphones at a thrift shop.
NIB and with the warranty still wrapped in plastic.........$2.
Big, heavy, and a little bass-shy.
Grado has NO competition here!
Still..........they are so cool looking!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom