Vintage High End Tube amps list

Good suggestions include perusing the Audio magazine annual product listings, Stereophile and Absolute Sound top rated power amps.

McIntosh deserves top credit for bringing the touchstone standard to audio with their superbly engineered solution to power amplifier design with the unity coupled power amplifier driver/ output approach. Arguably the beginning of "high end" for the home as well as the true laboratory standard it was intended.

Vintage power amps. Every thing tube from Mic tosh after MC 30: 60, 40, 75, 225, 240 275, and 3500. . Marantz 8b, Model 9. Thats it. Citation dual 60 watt amp was ok. But Mac was the leader back then. If you want tubes today its either Mcintosh or ARC. Mac is still the best value for the price as it was in the 60's and is today... I owned 60's, 240.s and 275's and wanted 3500's but where do you put 4 of them? Name a tube power amp that had better guaranteed distortion specs than the SS models produced at the same time and still has better specs than tube units built today? Mcintosh MC 3500. There were only 193 built. They go for around $15,000 each in great working condition today. Yes, a MC 2301 has better signal to noise. The 3500 restored has over 100 db signal to noise with out filters where the 2301 is measured using an A weighted filter. I bet they are closer when connected to Klipsch speaker than you can imagine. Remember a 2301 is fully balanced design, a 3500 is not. A 3500 will put out 490 watts before clipping a 2301 can't even come close. the 3500 is the only tube amp made in the 60's that can power most of todays less efficient speakers to concert levels. If you want to go back to the 50's and early 60's the MI-200 industrial tube Mac amp is the one to choose. ITs a 1 or 2% POWER AMP.. I love my HT system. But I would need 7 3500's. MY 2 MC 207's do just fine as I TRI- and Bi amp now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom