Vintage HT Stuff worth it...?

silversport

Wanting to run a small 3.0 HT...basically just better sound than the TV speakers...are any of the vintage receivers or gear worth it or do you give up too much?

I may be reacquainted with an Outlaw Audio 1050 HT Receiver...it is old tech and one of the Main channels is intermittent...but it may be free...I have zero talent for soldering or diagnosing issues but reading on the Outlaw Saloon Forum this may be a somewhat common issue as they aged...it may be able to go back to Outlaw or locally for a refresh but might it be worth it at $120 or so round trip and repair???

I remember it to be a nice sounding HT Receiver but it won't be able to get the newest versions of Dolby Digital or DTS but again, this is mainly for allowing better sound than my 50" plasma can produce...

Currently a tired Panasonic SA-XR57 is doing the duty this Outlaw 1050 might take over if it's worth the effort...

Bill

Seems a bit high for an older unit in need of repair, especially if all you want is an upgrade from TV sound. An AKer sold me 2 Sony ES surround receivers in great condition for $100.

ok...the Outlaw 1050 was well thought of in its day and I thought that might translate to spending a bit to get it up to snuff but I do see older HT Receivers going for low numbers because they don't have the latest and greatest options which I wouldn't need for the TV...perhaps I'll just keep the Panny XR57 but keep my eyes open for a bargain...thanks

Bill

Here's an interesting question. Do you really need 3.0? The reason I ask is based on my experiences. At one time I had a fairly elaborate HT setup...5.1...pre/pro...3 external amps. With that said, I ended up evaluating my needs. My wife and I don't watch many movies...just mainly TV shows. All the gear was overkill. I went down to just an AVR in a 3.1 configuration. Recently, I pulled out the sub, but might toss it back into the mix.

If my decade old AVR failed today, I would likely just go with a 2.0 setup. Keep in mind I'm a 2 channel guy.

Another question. What are your plans/needs for new technology like 4K? If you don't need the latest tech, HDMI, etc and older AVR might be perfectly fine.

Whether HT or 2-ch, I encourage people to buy separates if they can. If you can swing that, and you like your current speakers, put most of the money into the amp. Prepro technology changes and it's the first unit in the system to get out dated. Something like and Emotiva MC-700 with their XPA-3 would likely serve you well. Reasonably priced and an even better value in the 2nd hand market.

The Panasonic XR-57 was a highly regarded AVR. Is there a reason you want to replace it? Does it function properly? You could do far worse than the 57.

thanks...I was thinking it was the weak link but instead it appears to be poorly broadcast TV signals...thanks for sharing...

Bill

IMO/E the best TV picture and sound is what you get directly off the air. If you're in an area where this is an option I strongly suggest you give it a look/listen. The major networks broadcast some decent 5.1 sound. With the independents it's a crapshoot.

The over the air picture in my area is easily visibly better than what FIOS supplies. So I use both types of connection.

IMO/E the best TV picture and sound is what you get directly off the air. If you're in an area where this is an option I strongly suggest you give it a look/listen. The major networks broadcast some decent 5.1 sound. With the independents it's a crapshoot.

The over the air picture in my area is easily visibly better than what FIOS supplies. So I use both types of connection.
I have a DISH DVR. The guide shows all the DISH channels and if also shows all my OTA channels. Are you saying that the OTA channels actually look better? I’ve never thought to compare, so now you’ve got me wondering if I ought to compare.....

I noticed that once when I had only one hook up for my U-verse...the basement system picked up a local football game and the picture was SO much better than U-verse was...many times cable/dish/U-verse is compressed whereas sometimes over the air is not...

Bill

I noticed that once when I had only one hook up for my U-verse...the basement system picked up a local football game and the picture was SO much better than U-verse was...many times cable/dish/U-verse is compressed whereas sometimes over the air is not...

Bill

Makes sense. I’ll watch for that, thanks.

I have a DISH DVR. The guide shows all the DISH channels and if also shows all my OTA channels. Are you saying that the OTA channels actually look better? I’ve never thought to compare, so now you’ve got me wondering if I ought to compare.....

You should compare and decide for yourself. It's certainly not going to cost anything. My comment refers mostly to the major network OTA channels. The others such as Comet are a crapshoot.

OTOH, in inclement weather the OTA channels will be watchable when the satellite ones are not.

You should compare and decide for yourself. It's certainly not going to cost anything. My comment refers mostly to the major network OTA channels. The others such as Comet are a crapshoot.

OTOH, in inclement weather the OTA channels will be watchable when the satellite ones are not.

We’ve had a lot of wind lately and my picture keeps breaking up. I’ll try the OTAs and see if they’re better. Almost everything we watch is a major channel because our DISH subscription is the minimum plus local channels. Thanks again for the tip.

I prefer Pioneer Elie myself. You do want a unit that has Dolby Digital decoding with HDMI connections. Whether you want 1.4 or later decoding is up to you. Another choice might be NAD. Oppo players value is either going to go up or the bottom is going fall out. I guess we will see how much people want to hang to their units, or if they are going to bail, while they can get money for their units. I'm not fond of Denon , Sony, or Yamaha, though Marantz can be rather good depending on the models. I don't like switching power supplies or amps that operate in the Class D configuration.

I'll be sticking with the digital Panasonic for this small system...in both systems I have the analog 6.1 connections from the Opposite BDP-83 to Panasonic SA-XR57 to get DTS-HD Master and Dolby TrueHD

I have Outlaw Audio in my full system and don't hear any reason to change that...thanks

Bill

Last edited:
doing some different stuff with this smaller HT system I really can hear the difference in soundtracks when I buy Blu-Ray over a regular DVD and I seem to really prefer DTS over DD...moreso when I listen to DTS in the analog 6.1 (3.0) connections with a well recorded effects soundtrack...(Dunkirk Blu-Ray and the Spitfire or when the British bomber thunder overhead)...

I just replaced the Klipsch RB-5s I was trying as Main L/R channels to update Klipsch kg2s...the kg2s have had the tweeter diaphragm replaced with a titanium version along with the crossovers being freshened bu BECtoo of this Forum...they seem to be a better match with the KLF-C7 Center channel...

...at least for now... ;)

Bill

Back
Top Bottom