Vintage Kenwood won't power on

MinnieMoo

Hi! I am a newbie and know almost nothing about stereo systems except that I have had my Kenwood KRX 793 for somewhere around 20 years (?) and am not ready to let it go!
All of a sudden, the tuner won't turn on. I've changed outlets and checked the cord and wires.
It was working perfectly a month ago. I haven't had time to listen to it with the holidays and travel and tried to turn it on yesterday and nothing. No lights. Nothing.
Bought a new Yamaha Natural Sound tuner via Amazon to go with my cd changer which I replaced three years ago but I swear, I'm not hearing my music the way it sounded before with my old system.
Is it a fuse? Where would I start? I would love to have my old friend back.
I live in a tiny town with no audio shops for about 70 miles. (tis the life in Texas).
Help appreciated. Remember, I don't know the lingo.
Thanks.

I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but that Kenwood wasn't really much to begin with. If you had it for 20 years, sounds like you got more than your money's worth. Salute the old soldier for the service it gave, and move on.

Actually, I really do want to hear just that. The unit is too large but it's spotless and I just hate to toss it. I think I'll put it up on ebay for parts or something.
Thanks for the honest reply!! Truly appreciated!

Not worth fixing so even as "parts" its not worth anything.
You are free to try, but I'd send it to the happy recycle pile in the sky and snag something working off the local Craigslist, thrift store or even eBay itself.
A lot of nice 10-20 year old working stuff can be had dirt cheap, even shipped. (another reason the old one isn't worth trying to fix).

Hi! I am a newbie and know almost nothing about stereo systems except that I have had my Kenwood KRX 793 for somewhere around 20 years (?) and am not ready to let it go!
All of a sudden, the tuner won't turn on. I've changed outlets and checked the cord and wires.
It was working perfectly a month ago. I haven't had time to listen to it with the holidays and travel and tried to turn it on yesterday and nothing. No lights. Nothing.
Bought a new Yamaha Natural Sound tuner via Amazon to go with my cd changer which I replaced three years ago but I swear, I'm not hearing my music the way it sounded before with my old system.
Is it a fuse? Where would I start? I would love to have my old friend back.
I live in a tiny town with no audio shops for about 70 miles. (tis the life in Texas).
Help appreciated. Remember, I don't know the lingo.
Thanks.

Replace any fuse (or fuses if more than one, also check for internal fuses as well?) hopefully and just maybe that will get it going again for you but if not then "toss it" as others have already suggested and replace it.

The decision is up to you.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom