Vintage KLH, AR, or Advent Recommendations

Isaac C.

Cat Hoarder
Hello everyone! I am currently in the market to upgrade the speakers in my system and I am interested in your recommendations. I primarily listen to progressive rock and am looking for speakers that are balanced but have a deep base with smooth highs. I would prefer a two or three way speaker. Additionally, my receiver is 47 watts per channel at 8 ohms so I would like something that is close in wattage. Of the three brands, what model(s) would you recommend? Other brands are also welcome, however, I like the aesthetics of these three brands.

Well AR's can be power hungry, that said I've run vintage AR 3ways with 65watt amplifiers without feeling like I needed more. And THAT said I've liked them better once I did give them more, YMMV.

No real experience with the others so no comment.

But I do have personal experience with Polk Audio Monitor 5's, fairly sensitive easy to drive speakers that I think fit all of your requirements. Nice looking real wood veneer cabinets also.

10666.jpg

With the less desirable tweeter
images (18).jpeg

Another one to consider would be the Rectilinear IIIs. I've never heard AR3s but they compare favorably to my KLH Twenty Threes. The Rectilinears seem to have better bass. They only get better with more power however. Was running them on 65WPC and they sounded noticeably better when I switched to a 100WPC integrated.

Thank you both for the suggestions! Those Polks do look really nice, I have heard of the Monitor 5s, but will do some more research. I have actually never heard of Rectilinear IIIs, but after a quick search they look very interesting. Do you have experience with the lowboys, highboys, or minis?

Klh Model Five is a premium three way speaker with superb bass, and crisp mids and highs. My favorite KLH and the pinnacle of the vintage KLH brand. IMO of course. I've used a 30 watt with them with great results. They also have a gorgeous solid walnut bezel.

Klh Model Five is a premium three way speaker with superb bass, and crisp mids and highs. My favorite KLH and the pinnacle of the vintage KLH brand. IMO of course. I've used a 30 watt with them with great results. They also have a gorgeous solid walnut bezel.
I was actually looking at the KLH 5s on eBay earlier, they do look premium and very well built. Thank you for the suggestion, I will keep them in mind.

Thank you both for the suggestions! Those Polks do look really nice, I have heard of the Monitor 5s, but will do some more research. I have actually never heard of Rectilinear IIIs, but after a quick search they look very interesting. Do you have experience with the lowboys, highboys, or minis?

I have the lowboys, a friend has high boys, I like both but given the choice I'd probably take the high boys because they have a smaller footprint. Both sound good.

I really enjoy my AR58S speakers. Great for prog, and great sounding. The awesome AR 12" woofer, with dome mids and tweeters. A more modern sounding speaker, than the AR3a. But, they have a vintage bookshelf look, unlike an AR91.

Also consider ADS speakers. Two way and 3 ways available. L710s or L810s would be great. Or even a L570, an 8" 2 way. Smooth, with excellent timbre. Very life like.

Last edited:
I really enjoy my AR58S speakers. Great for prog, and great sounding. The awesome AR 12" woofer, with dome mids and tweeters. A more modern sounding speaker, than the AR3a. But, they have a vintage bookshelf look, unlike an AR91.

Also consider ADS speakers. Two way and 3 wsys available. L710s or L810s would be great. Or even a L570, an 8" 2 way. Smooth, with excellent timbre. Very life like.

Agree, I also like my AR58s, but they do like good power. Originally powering them with a Kenwood KA7300 integrated amplifier they sounded awesome, but instilling the Belles into the mix really made them sing.

Terms like "deep" and "smooth" mean very different things to different people, but this is not meant to be a critical comment - - - I have little ability to accurately describe in words my own perceptions or preferences of audio experiences. The premise of your question, however, is a bit too open-ended, IMO, because you need to establish a few more parameters. Physical size of cabinets? Other appearance issues (WAF)? Floor standers or bookshelf boxes? Price range and/or parts availability? And on and on....

I am mostly an AR guy, but I also have speakers from Advent and KLH and Rectilinear, as previously mentioned by Nagel. Also have speakers by ADS and EPI, two other excellent New England companies. While several others are suggesting TOTL models from their respective product lines (w/12" woofers), I am going to suggest several more modest speaker models, many of which are available on the used market, and all of which can be found for prices which are not terribly straining. All of these are relatively small speakers: AR-4x; AR-6; AR-18; AR-18s; KLH Six; KLH Thirty-two; ADS 570; Smaller Advent (4-ohm); Rectilinear Mini-III; EPI 100. Each one of these models is a really great product.

Epi/Epicure/Genesis/Burhoe are always a good choice. Alison speakers are another to consider. Older Axioms and Energy Pro22 are some good Canadian brands. There are so many to choose from!

My all time favorites: Burhoe Blues and Axiom AX-5 for 3 way. Especially those Axioms!

I've heard many of them and own AR3's and KLH Six's and Fives, as well as ADSs.
Every one of these sound great regardless of the music genre. More power is always better, but not required as long as you are judicious with the volume knob. With a lower power amp, you don't want to over drive it to clipping and fry the tweeters. Be aware that the ARs and KLHs will most likely need work to perform as they should.
So if you're willing and able to work on vintage speakers, any of them should suit your requirements quite well.

I suggest you check out the video thread. It will give you a glimpse of dozens of fabulous speakers and systems. Obviously not like being in the rooms, but you'll get an idea of the different sounding speakers.

If you're interested in a specific speaker and its restoration, just do a search. Lots of very talented, knowledgable people here willing to help you.

Cheers, Glenn

Also consider ADS speakers. Two way and 3 ways available. L710s or L810s would be great. Or even a L570, an 8" 2 way. Smooth, with excellent timbre. Very life like.

A pair of ADS L710s came up for sale a while back at a local vintage audio shop, however, he was asking $500 which I thought was somewhat steep. A family friend has two sets of L520s in his kids room's and they sound really good for a two way speaker. If I come across any of the L models you mention I would consider them if the price is right.

Terms like "deep" and "smooth" mean very different things to different people, but this is not meant to be a critical comment - - - I have little ability to accurately describe in words my own perceptions or preferences of audio experiences. The premise of your question, however, is a bit too open-ended, IMO, because you need to establish a few more parameters. Physical size of cabinets? Other appearance issues (WAF)? Floor standers or bookshelf boxes? Price range and/or parts availability? And on and on....

I am mostly an AR guy, but I also have speakers from Advent and KLH and Rectilinear, as previously mentioned by Nagel. Also have speakers by ADS and EPI, two other excellent New England companies. While several others are suggesting TOTL models from their respective product lines (w/12" woofers), I am going to suggest several more modest speaker models, many of which are available on the used market, and all of which can be found for prices which are not terribly straining. All of these are relatively small speakers: AR-4x; AR-6; AR-18; AR-18s; KLH Six; KLH Thirty-two; ADS 570; Smaller Advent (4-ohm); Rectilinear Mini-III; EPI 100. Each one of these models is a really great product.

I understand your point, that was a very open-ended question. I am just curious to see everyones recommendations. To refine the criteria, I am looking primarily for a bookshelf speaker that is no more than 12" wide and no more than 10" deep, height does not really matter. Though a few members have suggested floor standing speakers such as the Rectilinear IIIs, those are a possibility because they are fairly narrow. As far as price, I would like to stay in the $300 or under range. Speakers that need restored are also a possibility. I appreciate everyones recommendations, almost all of them fit the size, look, and type (two way or three way). Really it boils down to what is available in the area, I check Craigslist everyday, but most people want more than what I can purchase them on eBay for! I do not mind purchasing speakers on eBay, but shipping can be outrageous.

Your size restrictions are probably going to limit bass response. KLH Sixes
provide, to me, acceptable bass (compared to my main speakers, AR-3a),
but they are 12" deep and 13" wide. The KLH Seventeen- 12" wide and 8"
deep- great sound overall but don't hit those lowest notes. Of course there
may be exceptions, but I think that's what you're going to bump up against.

Your size restrictions are probably going to limit bass response. KLH Sixes
provide, to me, acceptable bass (compared to my main speakers, AR-3a),
but they are 12" deep and 13" wide. The KLH Seventeen- 12" wide and 8"
deep- great sound overall but don't hit those lowest notes. Of course there
may be exceptions, but I think that's what you're going to bump up against.

The KLH sixes would probably work with the space I have, I know the seventeens would.

Infinity RS325, punches waaaaaay above it's weight. They also come in black but the real wood veneer is so much nicer looking. Don't be fooled by the specs, these little speakers really rock. Keep in mind if the woofer surrounds haven't been replaced they most likely need to be. 92db sensitive so not a lot of juice is required.

3996163074.jpg

Last edited:
I enjoy my new large Advents, and I listen to a lot of music styles. Recognize my avatar? They're no Cerwin Vegas, but they're good enough I bought a pair of the original large Advents to fix up too.
If you've got some CVs in your area you can listen to, I recommend that you give them a try.

Back
Top Bottom