Vintage Klipsch Corner Mono Speaker

Digiverse

Hi All, I am in the process of putting together a dedicated mono system, circa, 1950's, I already have a Quad QC II pre amp, and matching fm tuner, matching Quad power amp is coming, I am finding it very difficult to track down some mono speakers, what would you guys suggest ? keep looking ? or, collect the pieces needed, and make my own cabinet ? if so, what will I need to faithfully recreate that 1950's mono sound accurately ? I'm very much attracted to the klipsch horn mono corner speaker, what are the pro and cons, as opposed to just a rectangle box ? Oh, by the way, I live in Australia, so, that would make the search even harder, having said that, I am willing to ship in from overseas. Thanks. Groovetube.

Since you're already planning on using Quad electronics, why not just go with a single Quad ESL?
Finding a single Quad shouldn't be too difficult, and you happen to have a good source of parts/service for them locally (at least nationally) here...
http://www.eraudio.com.au/index.html

Last edited:
You should be able to find a Carlson or Electro-voice corner speaker. Steve at Audio Classics has some mono Mcintosh pre-amps that would be powered off a MC-30 or 60, You might want to look for a AR-1, the first Acoustic Suspension system.from the 50's. Then you will want a Magnecord P66 mono tape deck. Ampex had a 600 series mono deck to.

Hey Groovetube,

COOL. Until you've put the mono speaker into its place and and run it for small while, you're going to be speculating. That's why I keep dragging things home to see how they sound on my system, in my listening space. Another manufacturer to keep an eye out for is Wharfedale. Gilbert Briggs made some stunning mono cabinets with the tweeters and midrange drivers up on top, pointed in different directions. Pretty darned cool. If you do end up making your own cabinet, you may want to pick up a copy of Gilbert Briggs' Cabinet Book. Get the earliest copy you can find. There are some nifty 50's style cabinet plans in there to play with. If you can, go for the 9 cubic foot rigs. There's also Stephens-Trusonic speakers. The 120FR and the 150FR fitted with the 5KT horn tweeter will make your psyche melt. But they're fairly rare and may not be an option.

Here's my 1954 deMars sportin' a 20" modified Bozak B199 woofer and 4 Bozak Tweeters. The finish is far nicer today, got her cleaned up. I replaced the capacitor and it brightened it up a bit, but there's still a pretty good sized hole in the midrange.

deMars004.jpg

deMars006.jpg

deMars002.jpg

Biggles

Electrovoice Aristocrat is another corner speaker to look for. Quite popular at the time and a lot of folks had mono then so you find singles fairly often.

And also pictured in Biggles' second pic!

If you've got a corner, that little cabinet really puts out some nice music. I've just got a cast SP12b and a little T-35 b in there with a 4uF oil cap. A real joy to listen to, non fatiquing, huge wide open midrange and vast easy to listen to highs. Having it 4' off the ground, in the corner sends all the frequencies into your skull and spine while you're standing anywhere in the room with ease. I'm not going to change a thing.

Biggles

The Quad is my no brainer answer to your question, but if you like lots o bass, it's a bad answer. In which case, how about Gilbert Brigg's Wharfedale open baffle speaker that looks like a giant Quad (not surprisingly because it was designed as a dynamic driver response to the Quad)? Less exalted, but pretty damn good - EV Regency with the full complement of drivers. A singleton remains among the best systems I've heard (though some of that may be that, though it's counterintuitive, mono is actually easier to appreciate than stereo).

Hi, WOW !!! So many replies and suggestions thanks one and all, Nat, when you say quad, I'm assuming that you mean the Quad esl 57 ? I have thought of it, just not too sure, maybe you can enlighten me some more ? also, what about the klipsch horn route ? or horns in general regardless of manufacturer, how does that stack up with the many suggestions thus far ? Thanks.

Yes to the ESL 57 assumption. I have to say that, perhaps through lack of exposure, I haven't succumbed to the Klipschhorn's charms, though horns in general seem a plausible choice -- the EV Regency I mentioned was a horn system.

Back
Top Bottom