Vintage Lafayette Score

FloridaSam

I like tacos
I stopped by Amvets yesterday and found this NOS pair of Lafayette F-990 headphones. I took a chance as they looked brand new and for $3.93 I wasn't expecting much. The sound as good as they look. Despite their massive size and weight they are surprisingly comfortable and sound much better than I expected a 40 year old pair of cans to sound. For the price of a latte I am more than pleased.

sc4cba.jpg

98akoh.jpg

Those are cool! They don't look like they were ever used. The shiny metal is a dead giveaway. No tarnish or corrosion of any kind.

I've seen headphones like this at tag sales and what-not, but I always passed because I figured that headphones back in those days must have sounded awful (except for the really-pricey ones). Good to know that's not necessarily the case. I wonder how big the drivers are in those things are...

They were made by a division of Fujiki Denki called Elega, which sold them under their own name in Japan (and maybe elsewhere). They made most of Lafayette's dynamic headphones and did wideranging OEM work for others.

Last edited:
My father bought a pair of those in 1969 and ultimately I ended up using them quite a bit in the 80's when I was a kid. I think that pair lasted until about 1992 when they had to be retired, since after a cord replacement or two, the outer housing cracked and they were done. Of course the foam cushioned ear pieces had hardened as well.

In the mid to late 90's I bought another pair in pretty decent condition (i.e. the cushioned ear pieces were still soft) and used them until 2001 when they were stolen from the college radio station when I had accidentally left them there after my show (someone broke all of the stations cans, so we had to provide our own). A few years later I bought a NOS set off of eBay and still have those.

For the era those headphone were made, they're phenomenal, although they have a bit of that "barrel effect" that was associated even with the best headphones of the era. I have newer and better cans, although I do like the sense of nostalgia I get when I listen to these.

I've had 2 pairs of these headphones in the last 3 years. My current set is actually a Frankenstein of the two. The bass and soundstage on these suckers is incredible! I've modded them a bit too by adding a little cotton under the speakers. They're easy to re-glue. I've also got the original box for the second set I bought that's in really great shape.

FloridaSam, I can tell your set isn't exactly NOS. The pads look a little worn and deformed.

Here's Mine:
IMG_1494.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

Last edited:
I got a pair of F-990s for Christmas, 1969. I still have them and they still work.

I used to fall asleep back then with the rock of that era blasting in my ears.

I remember a review of several different headphones in one of the audio magazines back then and the Lafayettes had the lowest bass distortion of any of the tested pairs.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom