Vintage Lafayette Stereo Turntable Model T-4000

jleon92f

Addicted Member
Hi Gang,

I won this TT yesterday, Lafayette T-4000 of the bay, looks nice.

UPDATE: The TT arrived today, box is not damaged or broken, I will post when I have it on the bench.

John.:music:

Nice looking TT John! Hope it arrives in good condition! Let us know how it sounds when you get it. :music:

Hi,

The Lafayette T-4000 is on the bench and she is a little dirty, I hook her up to my SX-850 and variac. The shure cartridge is in great shape, almost new. I had to adjust the speeds 1st, the 33 1/3 speed adjuster is at it's full limit to play a lp. I see it is starting to go down as I used the table.

It sounds very nice for now, smooth operation, easy belt install, I don't know the size, I put a 24.5 flat belt on it for now.

Anyone know how the speed controls work on this table? If I clean the pots that are used for the speeds, will that work. Seems to be getting better as we speak.

Nice looker too, will look better cleaned up.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Yes, I'd spray the pitch controls, but there may be trimmer pots inside which can adjust the speed range. If you find them, clean them, as well.

Yes, I'd spray the pitch controls, but there may be trimmer pots inside which can adjust the speed range. If you find them, clean them, as well.

Thanks,
I am playing it now, I put a Ortfon 3 ME on her, sounds VERY nice now..

It is amazing what less than $20 bucks can buy...if you look.

UPDATE: I noticed that the motor shaft wobbles, not true??? Belt size 25.0 "

Thanks again,
I will post results..

Hi,

OK, I cleaned the pots and trimmers with Deoxit, not much of a change. I still can't use the speed adjusters, they are at full "F" ?

Any help.
Picture of insides.

UPDATE: I adjusted the trimmers and now all is good, Thank you, it has full adjustment again.

Thanks,

Last edited:
The motors are rubber mounted so if you grab the shaft that is sticking through from the underside and move it with your hand it will wobble. However if your watching it spin and its wobbling then it might be bent or out of balance.

The motors are rubber mounted so if you grab the shaft that is sticking through from the underside and move it with your hand it will wobble. However if your watching it spin and its wobbling then it might be bent or out of balance.

Hi,
When I turn it by hand it shows to be bent slightly.(it plays ok though) Are new motors available for this type of TT, or is there something I can substitute it with.:scratch2:

Sounds OK, Done TT.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom