Vintage motor oil?

Shelf queens is all I'd use that stuff for. Not that it went bad it's just that modern motor oil is SOOOO much better. It's the major reason that engines routinely last several hundred's of thousand miles.
Today's higher temperatures require better materials but most importantly oils that won't break down into sludge like the oils of years ago.

BillWojo

Yup, I remember those spouts, but by the time I started driving and changing my oil pretty much all oil manufacturers had transitioned to using the plastic bottles that they use now. But oil was only a buck a quart.

And get off my lawn...

The value isn't in the oil it's in the packaging as a display item. Those seem really cheap, I bet they're worth 20/30 each on ebay.

My mechanic has a beautiful collection of old automotive fluids. The containers are gorgeous. Many different shapes. Lots of long forgotten brands. Not just motor oil, Marvel Mystery Oil, all kinds of additives, brake fluids, etc.

My mechanic has a beautiful collection of old automotive fluids. The containers are gorgeous. Many different shapes. Lots of long forgotten brands. Not just motor oil, Marvel Mystery Oil, all kinds of additives, brake fluids, etc.

:needpics:

:D

I have some old Emblem oil in Metal cans .

Emblem-Motor-Oil-Quart-Steel-Can-Original.jpg

SAE 30 weight oil belongs on a shelf.....

Back then they use to mix paraffin into distilled petroleum....a type of wax to reduce friction between moving parts. I use to change my oil monthly on high performance engines so the rings and bearings would last longer. Synthetic oil is so much better, so there isn’t really any actual use for SAE any more other than a static display.

In 1968, my parents bought their current home at a real estate auction. We knew the owners, 3 "Old Maids" none of which ever married. Their car came with the house, a '39 Mercury. In the garage were numerous stone crocks full of used oil. Apparently they kept the oil, after oil changes. So Dad got a vintage car, and vintage oil too. BTW, the car ran so quiet, when driving on gravel, you only heard the gravel moving under the tires, no motor/exhaust sounds whatsoever.

I bet those stone crocks were worth a few bucks once the oil was cleaned out...

I have a quart of WalMart oil from the 80s with the old font. Looks like they changed it in '81.

Back
Top Bottom