Vintage motor oil?

I think I still have one of those metal spouts in my big tool chest. Remember if you didn't stab the can hard enough it would collapse the side of the can, especially the paper/cardboard cans. Brings back memories.

BillWojo

Actually,the vintage oils contained an additive that helped protect things like flat-tappet cams: ZDDP,aka: Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate.

Legislated out of use,it can still be had in speciality oils manufactured by suppliers such as Brad Penn (previously Kendall) and for those who like synthetic,Amsoil.

Actually,the vintage oils contained an additive that helped protect things like flat-tappet cams: ZDDP,aka: Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate.

Legislated out of use,it can still be had in speciality oils manufactured by suppliers such as Brad Penn (previously Kendall) and for those who like synthetic,Amsoil.

They still use ZDDP in diesel oils like Rotella or Delvac so if you've got flat tappets or a motorcycle that's a good way to go.

They still use ZDDP in diesel oils like Rotella or Delvac so if you've got flat tappets or a motorcycle that's a good way to go.

That's very interesting,I did not know that. Certainly an interesting thought,as 15W40 would work well in my applications.Thanks for the heads up:)

That's very interesting,I did not know that. Certainly an interesting thought,as 15W40 would work well in my applications.Thanks for the heads up:)

Years ago I did a ton of research on oil for some reason and found out about the ZPPD additive still being in diesel oil and have used it ever since.
My last air cool Suzuki I got almost 100k miles out of, including a few track days, before selling it on. The engine was still shiny inside when I'd pop the cover to do a valve adjustment. My Ranger has almost 300k on it and looked just as clean inside when I changed the valve cover gasket recently. It still passes CA smog as well so it can't be all that bad for the converter.
Good stuff for sure. Glad to pass along the info.

Walmart oil is like Yorx stereo .
I tried the Walmart oil once since it had the current oil ratings. It was the semi synthetic 5/30 and at about 1500 miles it was down a quart, never tried it again and the truck only had 50k on it. I've been using Quaker State for a long time now and the truck has 168000 on it and uses 1/2 quart at about 2000 and gets changed at 3000.

Back
Top Bottom