Vintage NOS XR series speakers

SteveBB

Will a never opened pair of XR 290's need service of any type before being placed into service? I am a vintage Polk fan so know nothing about these other than what I have read at Roger's site.

Thanks, Steve

Best bet is to email Roger himself and see what he has to say.

An unopened pair of XR290 is almost too good to believe.

I just bought a pair with orriginal surrounds still look lke new.built in 1993. Pictures in my white rhino thread. So just be sure there are speakers not sand bags in the crate. The surrounds are not standard foam like earlier XRs so they do not rot away from ozone. Capacitors are motor run type. Should be plug and play. They sound unbelievable I bought mine on reputation and never heard them. Nothing sounds less than amazing on them. A good source they are unbelievable realistic

What a time capsule find. If seller knows what they have they should be worth big dollars.

Will a never opened pair of XR 290's need service of any type before being placed into service? I am a vintage Polk fan so know nothing about these other than what I have read at Roger's site.

Thanks, Steve
See my response above. See your in Lufkin. I am just up the road a bit and lived there once.

Thanks for the replies. Having read quite a bit about these speakers I wanted to listen to them before offering them for sale. If they needed service to be played safely I wanted to get a head start on any parts needed for the job.

Velocityboat, I am just south of Lufkin in Woodville these days. Once these have been set up you are welcome to come down for a listen. Steve

Am I reading this correctly? You're going to be getting rid of a pair of NOS XR290's in favor of a pair of vintage Polks??? I know I'm missing something here can't be reading this correctly lol

Thanks for the replies. Having read quite a bit about these speakers I wanted to listen to them before offering them for sale. If they needed service to be played safely I wanted to get a head start on any parts needed for the job.

Velocityboat, I am just south of Lufkin in Woodville these days. Once these have been set up you are welcome to come down for a listen. Steve

I am up in DFW and not looking for another pair. How do you keep sourcing NOS Mc equipment. Buy out a defunct dealer? Saw you had posted late last year other NOS Mc equipment . The XR290s were special factory orders.

These are a bit to handle alone once you piece them together.

What amps are you planning to use? They play well all levels but i would at least give them 500 watts 200 barely lets you enjoy dynamics of these.

I promise to provide lots of pics in the very near future and yes, everything belonged to a dealer who stored the majority of the gear that did not sell during the liquidation. All of this happened long enough ago things like Mac tube gear had no value so everything was carefully packed away and stored for 30+ years. All of the entry level/mid level stuff was all solid state by this time and was sold for whatever it brought.

The last surviving partner was one of my fathers oldest friends. Upon the man's passing I was asked to help with an inventory of all the gear and to help with trying to determine average values leading to a massive new old gear sale.

Everything will be offered for sale here in Bartertown first.

You did read correctly Motorstereo. I would keep everything but it is not mine to keep. (and I would need a bigger house) We have a single system here for both music and tv/movies so no room for a dedicated two channel rig of any size. We have managed to put together a multi channel system we like so for a single pair of something to come in to replace the existing system is highly unlikely. Anything I take has to be paid for just like everyone else so price is also a factor.

Will be looking forward seeing the Bartertown listings - especially the pictures.

I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for not opening anything still factory sealed.

I promise to provide lots of pics in the very near future and yes, everything belonged to a dealer who stored the majority of the gear that did not sell during the liquidation. All of this happened long enough ago things like Mac tube gear had no value so everything was carefully packed away and stored for 30+ years. All of the entry level/mid level stuff was all solid state by this time and was sold for whatever it brought.

The last surviving partner was one of my fathers oldest friends. Upon the man's passing I was asked to help with an inventory of all the gear and to help with trying to determine average values leading to a massive new old gear sale.

Everything will be offered for sale here in Bartertown first.

You did read correctly Motorstereo. I would keep everything but it is not mine to keep. (and I would need a bigger house) We have a single system here for both music and tv/movies so no room for a dedicated two channel rig of any size. We have managed to put together a multi channel system we like so for a single pair of something to come in to replace the existing system is highly unlikely. Anything I take has to be paid for just like everyone else so price is also a factor.

I would not set up of the XR290s if the three crates are factory sealed. I posted a set up sheet Roger sent me. I have a sales brochure but no user manual. twiii sent me a service manual. It would be nice if another AKer snagged these. I am sure AC would buy these. if still crated. What is the finish?

If you do not need crates do not let them go without contacting me.

I would not set up of the XR290s if the three crates are factory sealed. I posted a set up sheet Roger sent me. I have a sales brochure but no user manual. twiii sent me a service manual. It would be nice if another AKer snagged these. I am sure AC would buy these. if still crated. What is the finish?

If you do not need crates do not let them go without contacting me.
. Maybe crates are loaded with Mcintosh gear not XR290s.

Back
Top Bottom