Vintage phono cartridge ID help

SFBayArch

I've got this ESL/Ortofon headshell with what seems to be a very old, perhaps first generation stereo pickup. I cannot identify it, nor can I makeout the faded lettering printed on the stylus sled.

Anyone have an idea what this is? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

C56E8649-C0E6-478F-AA02-BCA9CBED44FE_zpsnkga0cgj.jpg

Could it be a Weathers C-501 StereoRamic cartridge, like I see in this image below from an auction site listing?

$_12.JPG

Last edited:
Weathers -- it says so. Interesting adaptor for regular headshell wires.
Weathers was a very interesting company that made very innovative products. Not sure if that is an FM pickup variant, but Weathers made capacitative cartridges that needed a demodulator which tracked at very low tracking forces and sounded very good, but were too weird for the general market. Euphonics picked up the design and then Sao Win. But it was always a fringe product, alas.

It looks like the Weathers LDM Ceramic cartridge. The connector framus is the network
to allow it to be plugged into a magnetic input.

Yes, definitely a Weathers Stereoramic cartridge. And the connector adapter is the network to connect it to a MM input. In good order, very high performance for it's era and still good today.

Great, thanks for the info guys.

I didn't have that Weathers equalizing pre-amp, so I wanted more information before hooking up to give it a listen...

I'm quite curious about and I'll post my impressions later...

I had a brief time playing with this Weathers Low Dynamic Mass cartridge due to some intermittent signal continuity issues that I think are in the contacts at the adapter.

Nuisance issues aside, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the sound: I had low expectations because of the age and the flimsy looking construction, but tracking at 2 grams, playback was on the bright side and lean in the bottom, but nicely delicate, natural and detailed.

This brief listen made me curious about these LDM cartridges.

B258F242-74F7-4F38-8749-35BB66039669_zpsdnhuco8x.jpg

Last edited:
And by the way, that's mounted on an ESL (Ortofon) S-1000 tonearm and a Lafayette PK-245 dual idler turntable.

Back
Top Bottom