Vintage Pioneer Prototype Speakers . . . !

Pioneer sold heaps of individual drivers, in kits and separately, with and without crossovers etc in the early and mid 1970s.

I don't believe they are Pioneer 'prototypes' just someone's private effort.

Pioneer used JIS screws, they are just plain old flat head wood screws and the brown lamp cord cable is distinctly un-Japanese IMO.

The woofer is listed as being from 1969. Hardly "prototype" Pioneer era. That guy sure pulled that price out of his a** though, didn't he?

My August 1973 Pioneer General catalogue has the the PW-A30 in it (30w RMS) and the DN-31 crossover used (the panel on the rear of the speakers) (750Hz and 4500Hz)

It is nothing more than one person's effort with a bunch of Pioneer component parts all sold to DIYers.

Prototype, my A#$

PS, the Pioneer kits/components also came with a stick pin Pioneer badge exactly the same as the listed speakers.

At least one of his images is taken from Google Japan.

Pioneer may or may not have actually produced the cabinets. The design was published, in Japan at least. The drawings could be found on a very comprehensive Japanese pioneer/TAD transducer website that has seemingly disappeared with the massive cleansing of the internet.

10 years ago you could have found MANY images of several different examples of that speaker system. They were produced, in at least some quantity, perhaps by a Japanese cabinet maker or small business independent of Pioneer.

Here's an example of a speaker produced in a Japanese custom shop using mostly Pioneer components:

http://www.hifido.co.jp/KW/G0202/J/380-10/C10-48837-51588-00/

Last edited:
Yeah I have a similar set with similar driver load and cant seem to sell to anyone for 500.00! 2500.00:rflmao:

The woofer is listed as being from 1969. Hardly "prototype" Pioneer era. That guy sure pulled that price out of his a** though, didn't he?

At least that's what the ad reads . . . I've sure never seen anything like 'em! These things are definitely unique . . .

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ele/d/vintage-pioneer-prototype/6338572472.html
Someone informed me of the conversation occurring about MY speakers posted on Craigslist. So to clarify a few details from some of the threads below:
1) "This guy" is actually "this girl". Yes - price was pulled out of my ass. If any of you have better knowledge of a more accurate price point, please let me know.
2) A little history of this speaker set. I constantly buy and sell speaker systems. I like a pair - I buy them. I find another pair - I sell what I have and move on. These were purchased from an estate in Tucson, Arizona. The person who passed away was a military officer who spent extended tours in Japan in the mid century. He had them in his house for many years. They had never been opened from the back.
3) I listed them as "prototypes" - as I had NEVER seen anything like them. Perhaps they were assembled by someone in Japan in the 60's - early 70's - I do not know. They could very well be Japanese prototypes - If any of you know for sure these are NOT Japanese prototypes - let me know. For now - I have modified the listed - as to not "offend" anyone.
4) I appreciate all the discussion around my speakers. I didn't realize people pulled stuff off Craigslist and tore it to bits in forums like this.
5) Feedback is definitely appreciated - but you don't have to be rude - like the person who emailed me through Craigslist. The caption on his email was condescending and rude. If you want to call me a liar about my listing there are better words to chose than "liar" which makes it seem like I intentionally misled people.
6) YES- one of the images is from Google - and you can clearly see that it is from Google. it is in my add for similarity purposes only. The actual pictures of my speakers are the other ones.
7) Wishing you all a great day. I have music to listen to. To those of you with kind remarks - thank you.

Someone informed me of the conversation occurring about MY speakers posted on Craigslist....................
Be thankful you're not flipping muscle car, or motorcycle parts. We're a much more critical crowd in those forums. ;)

I didn't realize people pulled stuff off Craigslist and tore it to bits in forums like this.
If you're doing a lot of speaker flipping, keep your eye on the "rants and raves" section of your local CL, you'll learn that this forum is quite mild and benign.

If any of you have better knowledge of a more accurate price point, please let me know.

I didn't realize people pulled stuff off Craigslist and tore it to bits in forums like this.

Welcome to AK. We don't just tear stuff to bits. We love audio and enjoy discussing it. That said, sometimes CL ads are great items at bargain prices, sometimes they aren't. Surely you have noticed this yourself. We discuss the gamut.

As to "better knowledge of a more accurate price point", I have no direct sales info, which is always the best barometer. However, I know that large speakers are becoming increasingly difficult to sell, with just a few exceptions which carry a certain cache. I also know that older Pioneer speakers command decent money relative to their (in my experience, which doesn't include your pair) rather mediocre performance. I suspect the lattice grills are a large part of that though and see little market for a speaker that looks like a home PA speaker (folded horn), but of course I could be wrong. Some folks here will geek out over them (that's what we do), but I don't expect that admiration from afar will translate into a sale for you.

If I had to put a price on them, I would be thrilled to get 10% of what you are asking, but that is only pulled out of my a** as well. Given that the size makes shipping prohibitive, and that so little is known about them, I actually suspect that you would see more monetary value from trashing the cabs and flipping the parts, but I applaud you if you choose not to bust up a nice example of a rare cabinet. Just know that it's size automatically eliminates 90% of interested parties. I wouldn't have room to even store them, never mind use them.

I enjoyed your ad but mainly for the stuff behind it. I see Klipsch (?) and CV, plus a Tiffany lamp. You obviously have taste. I also see a folding gate. Do you have a baby or a pet (or both)? Lastly I want to apologize for making you feel bad. It is much easier to give harsh critique to someone who is unknown than to someone who reaches out. I appreciate you posting here. All of that said, I stand by my initial estimation that your speakers are wildly overpriced, but in the end value is whatever you can get someone to pay. Best of luck with your sale.

I see the listing has been changed to DIY which was exactly my first thought. Much more accurate description.

That said, most homebrew gear has very little value generally. Cosmetic condition is poor and the materials used to build the cabinets, mediocre to begin with.

That said, $2,500 is pure fantasy- with all due respect.

I'm not so sure they are DIY. The only compelling argument I've heard for that is the screws, which certainly could have been changed over the years. How likely is it that Pioneer sold a port plate that matches the horns being used? How likely is it that Pioneer sold a molded grill just the right size and shape? At the very least, I would want evidence that they did before I wrote these off as homebrew. Did Pioneer sell kits? I would simply describe them as being an unknown model.

Last edited:
Cabinets predate the drivers by many years. Cabinets probably re-purposed along with the grilles which may or may not be original Pioneer issue.

Have no idea where the horns came from - Altec/EV/JBL perhaps...?

Back
Top Bottom