Vintage Racing Bikes - Show 'em off!

jhoyt

Incomprehensible space llama
Here's the pics of my "new" road bike -- the Koga-Miyata FullPro, c. 1989. Full Shimano DuraAce, Michelin tires on Mavic rims. I think the biggest difference I see between this bike and modern road bikes are the wheels; this racing-spec bike uses 36-spoke wheels! Perfect for my bigger-than-should-be self...

I replaced the original drop bars with "bullhorn" style bars, mounted backward, with the brake levers slung underneath. This creates a very comfortable riding position, and is great for my hands, which go numb at the very thought of bike riding.

Enjoy!

DSC03692.jpg

DSC03693.jpg

DSC03694.jpg

DSC03695.jpg

DSC03696.jpg

DSC03697.jpg

Do you have a road or mountain bike you want to show off? Do it here!

Very nice. I have one of those Specialized saddles. It's the most comfortable saddle I've ever owned but I hardly used it and it looks brand new. For shipping costs it's yours.

Last edited:
I try and get out every week and was out for "a ride" with my seven year old son this morning on my Intense. :thmbsp: Not exactly vintage buy my Intense is considered old school by today's standards and is coming up on it's 16th birthday. My Litespeed Classic turned 10 last month.

My roadie:

attachment.php

My MTB:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Duff, Ringle cage, Cook Bros. crank? Yeah, that's vintage! :D

Oh, and, nice Ti Litespeed.

The neatest vintage bike I've ever seen was a limited edition Lemond mountain bike--from the days when Greg Lemond was in mtb racing. This was a full Ti team edition bike, spec'd with Campagnolo Record OR components! It hung in the garage of Greg's ex bro-in-law, here in Reno. I nearly had to pick my jaw up off the floor when I saw it there!

Duff, Ringle cage, Cook Bros. crank? Yeah, that's vintage! :D
Close, its' a Grafton crank. I was up at Northstar last month and some guy was tripping on my Intense. He knew exactly what it was and even noticed all the hand made frame pieces. My frame was the display bike at the 1993 Interbike show and about the 30th frame he made. It was before Jeff Steber starting using CNC pieces and I actually bought the frame out of his garage. It's survived the Kamikaze and Moab. :thmbsp:

I bet that Lemond MTB was cool.

I've got a couple of bikes in the garage that fit the bill- two friends of mine had his 'n' hers touring bike frames custom-made for them, then each hand-picked the component sets they wanted to finish the bikes. They then sold them to me when they moved to the country, away from smooth pavement. I modded "his" bike to my liking, and used the "hers" bike mostly as spares, but it'd still be a complete runner with new rubber.

Columbus frames, Suntour derailleurs & cranks, Avocet saddles, Gran Compe & Galli brakes, Specialized pedals, Campagnolo & Mavic rims with Campy hubs, Cinelli bars, lots of other bits. Oh, and a large box of spares, including sets of NIB Campy Record hubs, brakes, and more Sun Tour derailleurs.

It's actually on the schedule this week to get tires/tubes etc., plus a work stand. I'd really like to get mine on the road again, especially now that I live in bicycling heaven.

je

Attachments

• HisNHers (Medium).JPG
    HisNHers (Medium).JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Brakes (Medium).JPG
    Brakes (Medium).JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Derailleurs (Medium).JPG
    Derailleurs (Medium).JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Hubs (Medium).JPG
    Hubs (Medium).JPG
    70 KB · Views: 25
  • HubsBox (Medium).JPG
    HubsBox (Medium).JPG
    43 KB · Views: 16
What are you riding off-road?

My MTB is almost as old as yours, it's one of the last Trek steel frames made, the 970. It was made in the mid- to late-90's, but has fairly modern geometry. The frame is good TrueTemper OX-III tubing, and it has a mishmash of components: Shimano XT and XTR, with some old Trek System3 for good measure. I really enjoy it, I just love the ride of a good steel frame. Previously, I had ridden aluminum Specialized and Trek, but steel doesn't beat you up as much. I would like, though, to get my hands on a full suspension bike someday.

That's cool that you have a Grafton crank, I used to lust mightily after Grafton and Ringle components back in the day. I was able to get a Ringle seatpost (anodized purple, of course :nerd: ), and I thought I was the coolest thing ever! This was on a '91 Specialized S-Works M2 bike, with Suntour XC-Pro, the best mountain bike group I've ever used.

I dig steel. :D

Since I ride for the workout and fresh air, I don't mind the weight.

72 Schwinn Continental

schwinn_continental_3.jpg

schwinn_continental_4.jpg

ok thats it, as soon as its not 100 degrees, i will clean up and take pictures of my two old roadies. the first is a schwinn waterford paramount os, the first year they were available for public purchase probably 89, and the other is a schwinn prologue probably 87. the former built up with campy, dura-ace and ultegra, and the later built up with shimano 600 components. its too bad i quit riding just abouit the time i had both of these built. i doubt either of these have 500 miles on them.

ok thats it, as soon as its not 100 degrees, i will clean up and take pictures of my two old roadies. the first is a schwinn waterford paramount os, the first year they were available for public purchase probably 89, and the other is a schwinn prologue probably 87. the former built up with campy, dura-ace and ultegra, and the later built up with shimano 600 components. its too bad i quit riding just abouit the time i had both of these built. i doubt either of these have 500 miles on them.

I too own a Schwinn Paramount, the 50th Anniversary model, 58cm, in Pearl White Metallic, with 24K Gold Fork. This was an NOS Frame I got a few years back. (Waterford built, Columbus SLX Tubing)

I wanted to keep a vintage look, yet have some modern features.

I chose all Campy Record 10sp Drivetrain, Hubs, Brottom Bracket, C Record Aero Seatpost, Selle Fausto Coppi Saddle in White Leather, but tried hard to eliminate Carbon Fiber as much as possible. It was unavoidable with the rear Deraiileur, and Shifters-Brakes.

I was going to use Campy 10sp Indexed Downtube Shifters, and they cost me dearly, but then went with Campy Ultra 10sp "Brifters" instead, so I could conveniently shift on the fly, without the hands ever leaving the Bars. I admittedly got spoiled with this feature, on my 2002 Bianchi Campione, with Campy Veloce 9sp Drivetrain.

As soon as I can get a card reader delivered (About a week it will arrive), for an old Smart Media Card from an old digi-cam, I'll post some pics. Mark

Speaking of Waterford built Paramounts, here's mine, a 1971 rebuilt by me and repainted to original spec at the Wisc. facility in 1996. I still really like the sunset orange paint and the ornate chrome lugs. I originally got it for my 16th birthday in 1981. Please excuse the basement mess.

paramount.jpg

My first real bike was a Schwinn kick-back 2 speed (bought very used) that was way cool as a 10 year old. I rebuilt it as well in the mid 90's.

Schwinn.jpg

first pic is my full campy 71 paramount as repainted in 1985 by brian baylis-- i now regret that paint scheme, but it was 1985 and i loved miami vice (still do, actually)-- mavic sewups on phil wood hubs, 1rst gen Look pedals. sold in 2007 ... for some reason that makes no sense at all now. I WANT IT BACK!!

2nd is me full blast in a criterium in down town Dallas in 1985, mounted on what would now be thought of as a stone cold classic--at the time it was just a race bike- a Grandis all Columbus steel, pewter paint with yellow accents, full Campy crit/road bike, high flange hubs on 32 spoke Mavics running silk sewups. we were the warmup act for Pro/cat 1 act featuring the Davis Phinney 7-11 team. i was attempting a breakaway here, but got caught by the pack and finished in the group....

Attachments

• paramount pix june 23 005 (Small).jpg
    paramount pix june 23 005 (Small).jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 49
  • fastbike 1985 (Small) (2).jpg
    fastbike 1985 (Small) (2).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 41
Back
Top Bottom