Vintage Racing Bikes - Show 'em off!

but the geometry is very relaxed, not track....hmmm. i guess you'll just have to tear into it, but if its the right size for you, with those bars, seat and crankset, you have the basis for something fairly cool

Snade- i think i get your goals, and being what they are, i'd say skip the fixed and have fun with the continental...but if you do give it a whirl, start with no toe clips so you can just lift your feet off the pedals and hit the brakes when trouble arises. you can slowly teach yourself the fixed art that way.

I did the fixie conversion to help with my spinning and keeping things simple. I commute to school thats 50 miles away and then ride my bike around campus and figured that the simpler the better.

As you can see I run two brakes, I think running any bike without brakes is just an accident waiting to happen. (unless its a full on track bike used on the track)

Caddis you might have something very special there. That looks to be a track bike from the 20s or 30s with a fender that somebody added later. Is there any way to get some really close pics?

Nice bikes guys for sure. I would sure like to find another and keep geared so that I can ride on the road.

but the geometry is very relaxed, not track....hmmm.
My guess is something from the late 60's into the 70's and not a track bike. Most likely a commuter/cruiser bike. I hope it's something special but don't hold your breath on it. :thmbsp:

I found a not that was with the bike, it reads (I'm paraphrasing from memory)

"This bike is the property of Philip Maloney, with capital improvements, like a wheel or two and tyres by Richard Maloney"

I also noticed that it is a custom paint job, with (only just able to make out) P.J. Maloney painted in fancy script on the crossbar

Looks like it was a bike passed down from father to son, possibly modified with a coaster brake for road use

Man, you guys are killing me. I just caught this thread. I'll have to drag the bikes out tomorrow and snap some pics.

My road bike is nothing really special. It's a Cannondale R600 from the late 90's with the Saeco Team paint scheme. Plain old RX100 components but I've never had a problem with it. I bought it when I decided to try out triathlon back then. I went with an all around type road bike as opposed to a tri specific one in case I went another direction. I did. I went south where I can't really ride the poor thing.

My mountain bike is my baby. It's a Klein Rascal from '89 or '90 (I bought it in '90). Back before Trek bought them and they were still hand made and Gary Klein was still in charge. Since I got it everything has been replaced with what I want, although I got it where I wanted it and left it that way about the middle of the 90's. It's now running XT der's with an 8 speed XTR rear cassette because it's the only one I could get with the gears I wanted. I had to do some searching but I got some XT overbar thumbshifters. I have Manitou II shocks (still have the rigid fork in storage). It's candy teal and I love that bike.

Duff, I don't have a pic of the whole bike right now but here's my mojo from the early 90's.
leo-tick.jpg

I found the Tick on the road while riding to the trail so it seemed right to put him on there. Leo was given to me by my wife.

I'll get some pics soon.

Ray

edit: looking at some pics I had put up on my website I do have a pic of the Klein and I in action on the Flume Trail at Lake Tahoe. Great trip.
MTNBIKE.JPG

Oh yeah, my "back yard"! Too bad I don't go there more...

Kleins are the best looking mountain bike frames, period. The paint schemes are wonderful! And while on the subject of mountain bikes, I recently saw an old Ibis frame that had been turned into something goofy. The frame had partially been pained over, but I could still read the original "IBIS" script. Back in the day I had serious lust for an Ibis Mojo, or even better, the Extra Mojo!

Kleins are the best looking mountain bike frames, period. The paint schemes are wonderful!
I had a late 80's Klein Quantum with the sunburst paint job, it was yellow, red, and pink. Nice bike but it was a rough ride, but not as rough as the Cannondale it replaced. :yikes:

And while on the subject of mountain bikes, I recently saw an old Ibis frame that had been turned into something goofy. The frame had partially been pained over, but I could still read the original "IBIS" script. Back in the day I had serious lust for an Ibis Mojo, or even better, the Extra Mojo!
My friend just bought a new Ibis Mojo with 5" of travel. We're going to Northstar on the 22nd to break it in, you should join us! :thmbsp:

edit: looking at some pics I had put up on my website I do have a pic of the Klein and I in action on the Flume Trail at Lake Tahoe. Great trip.
MTNBIKE.JPG
The Flume trail and Spooner lake are a great ride. I should go ride it again while I still can. :D Have you ever ridden Mr. Toads Wild Ride in S. Lake Tahoe?

Last edited:
The Flume trail and Spooner lake are a great ride. I should go ride it again while I still can. :D Have you ever rode Mr. Toads Wild Ride in S. Lake Tahoe?

No, we didn't get a chance to do that one. I was out there on a research trip with the Army Corps of Engineers (working at Fallon AFB) and another rider and I took our bikes out. We managed a weekend where we did the Flume one day and linked a whole bunch of trails at the Alpine Center the other. That was all I got to ride there.

I'm a fairly big guy (5'10" and around 200lbs) and I can twist the heck out of a steel frame if I stomp hard. The Klein is stiff enough to keep its cool when I hammer. I've built it up to be a climber. It has short chainstays, the frame is as stiff as anything I've ridden, it has 180mm cranks, and a 24/32 low gear. You can spin straight up a wall if you can stay on.

Same with my road bike. If I get out of the saddle and hammer a typical steel frame I can rub brakes on both sides. The 'Dale keeps me in line.

My 1980-something Renigade Sierra. Not really racing but sort of a hybrid mountain bike. Thin tires with good tread. 21 speed shitmano Deore drivetrain with a piece of shit crank on it. Real nice bike that works great.
bikes003.jpg

Thumb shifters!

They've come in handy before when I bashed a derailleur on a crash. I flipped to friction mode and could ride out without having to do on-the-trail adjustments.

You should really clean that bike up.

Unfortunately it lives in my workshop. I keep both bikes covered but with the amount of wood that gets cut in there some sawdust is inevitable. The chain and gears are much better protected. :yes:

Hello All, As promised, I've posted some pics of the Schwinn 50th Anniversary Paramount for you to see. Vintage 1988 frame, but yet with a unique mix of a little NOS vintage add ons here, and there, yet with a complete ultra-modern 10-sp Campy Record Grouppo, and Campy Record Hubs on Wheelsmith Gold Label Built Mavic Open Pro Rims.

Saddle is a vintage Selle Fausto Coppi Limited Edition White Leather Saddle, that I actually got from an ebay seller in Germany Campy C-Record Aero Seatpost, Nitto Pearl 100mm Bar Stem, Cinelli Campione Del Mondo Bars. Pedals, are of course, Campy Record Superleggeri Cage Pedals, with Campy Toe Clips, and Paramount Toe Clip Straps

Also on board, Wipperman Connex Stainless Chain, vintage NOS Paramount Bottle Cages (I now have two), stock Stronglight roller bearing Headset, and of course all proper columbus SLX decals, on lower downtube near bottom bracket, and near fork crown and paperwork-manuals were with frame when I bought the frame. Went will all Campy Record Cabling thoughout, yet used White Cable Sheathing from Branford Bike, as one of the finishing touches.

Total weight of build came to exactly 20lbs, which isn't bad for an all-steel framed bike.

Hope you enjoy the pics! Mark PS: The Pics were taken in the Sacramento Mountains, about 10 miles from Cloudcroft, NM.

DSCF0183.JPG

DSCF0190.jpg

DSCF0181.JPG

DSCF0196.jpg

DSCF0184.JPG

DSCF0189.JPG

Last edited:
Finally got the Klein out, dusted off, and tuned up a bit. I'm going to have to get on it some soon as my running is aggravating my plantar fasciitis and I can't really afford the downtime right now. So I'll be putting in some miles on the bike to keep the cardio-vascular fitness up and running what I can.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Klein.jpg
    Klein.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 651
Here's a couple of more, a closer pic of the 50th Anniversary 24Kt Gold Plated Fork, and Record Crank. I believe i went with 39/52 on the Chain Rings, and 13/26 on the Cassette. Mark

DSCF0200.jpg

DSCF0201.jpg

I can't provide any road-bike pics as I've never owned one, but I've had a couple of older mountain bikes....

1991 Specialized Stumpjumper comp cro-moly/prestige tubing frame, full factory XT.....my favorite rides were done on this one:

attachment.php

attachment.php

1998 Schwinn Homegrown (I know, it was filthy when the pic was taken) is my current ride....well, until yesterday anyway when my new-to-me bike arrived:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Stump01.jpg
    Stump01.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Stump02.jpg
    Stump02.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 103
  • HomeGrown1.jpg
    HomeGrown1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited: