Vintage Racing Bikes - Show 'em off!

Here's my Takara Prestige, I don't know what year. It's got all Suntour components. I saw it quietly going to waste in the weeds at my neighbor's house, so I asked about it and she let me have it. I took it home and spent most of a weekend cleaning and fixing. Relatively light for an older steel road bike, and very quick. I can hit around 30 MPH on flat road, and it's still got more go in it.

steve-takara-prestige.jpg

I can't provide any road-bike pics as I've never owned one, but I've had a couple of older mountain bikes....

1991 Specialized Stumpjumper comp cro-moly/prestige tubing frame, full factory XT.....my favorite rides were done on this one:

attachment.php

attachment.php

1998 Schwinn Homegrown (I know, it was filthy when the pic was taken) is my current ride....well, until yesterday anyway when my new-to-me bike arrived:

attachment.php

Are those RockShox SID's on the Schwinn?

To revive an old thread: after I found some wear 'n tear on my old MTB, I decided to get something new and better. Been doing some nice rides last weeks, so I felt I deserved it. After some bargaining I got a good price on a Giant XTC Hybrid 2.0:

XTC%20Hybrid%202.jpg

This pic is from the net, tomorrow I'll pick it up and will make some own photo's.

To revive an old thread: after I found some wear 'n tear on my old MTB, I decided to get something new and better. Been doing some nice rides last weeks, so I felt I deserved it. After some bargaining I got a good price on a Giant XTC Hybrid 2.0:

XTC%20Hybrid%202.jpg

This pic is from the net, tomorrow I'll pick it up and will make some own photo's.

I can promise you that you'll love the fork. Smooth ride for sure.

Nice bikes everyone! Here's a few of my bikes, I won't be collecting vintage lightweights much longer because I just got back from the Yamaguchi Frame Building School. Why buy them when you can build them? :tongue:

I have a Tommasini Prestige, recently restored, equipped with a 2006 Campagnolo Centaur Century gruppo, Ambrosio Rims, San Marco Concor limited edition suede saddle for the 2009 Bicycle Film Festival, and a few other goodies thrown in. 22.5lbs as shown, the bike is ridiculously fast for what it is.

My next bike is a Lighthouse built by Tim Neenan (he built the first Specialized Allez and Stumpjumper), the fork is by Antonio Mondonico, both built with Columbus tubing. Tim recently got back into frame building and put up a site: http://www.lighthousecycles.com/. The groupset is a mix of Campagnolo Athena and Shimano Dura Ace 7400/600 which works surprisingly well together. That bike is a little lighter than the Tommasini, but I love it a lot more because of its pedigree and ride qualities.

The last is my Atala Special commuter, which is just as much show as it is go. It's a single speed, with a White Industries dos eno 16/18 freewheel, custom powder coated Campagnolo NR cranks, Veloce D Skeleton brakes, Dura Ace and Nitto NJS parts throughout. Miche hubs laced to Ambrosio rims. The geometry is really tight, and I really like riding it for those rough rides that I don't want to take my other bikes on. I take a lot of flack for riding this frame set up the way I do, especially because it isn't fully geared, but I picked it up as a frame only and it has some rough areas that make it less than ideal for a geared bike. Not only that, but I ride this bike a lot, maybe 50 to 100 miles a week, so I feel like I am keeping this frame alive by riding it as frequently as I do.

Attachments

• IMG_1564.jpg
    IMG_1564.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 18
  • tomma1.jpg
    tomma1.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 19
  • SNC12795.jpg
    SNC12795.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 17
fantastic bikes, prof. my last bike before i got out of racing in the late 80s was a Tommasini Prestige/all Dura Ace. in black marble-ized finish, i owned it 6 weeks before it became the third italian steel race bike stolen from me within a period of a year. one of the reasons i got out of the sport, but yours sure brings back the memories. i remember feeling that it climbed like an elevator.

Tommasini's were my favorite bike back in the 80's and they always had amazing paint jobs. I don't own one but a couple of my friends still ride them.

I can promise you that you'll love the fork. Smooth ride for sure.

Yep, I especially like the lock out for being on normal roads. But the thing I like most are the (disc)brakes, which have fenomal braking power and are very easy to dose. Actually I like everything, although I did a course that was so rough, I wished I had a full suspension bike. Or I could work on my own technique of course... ;)

Ok, Here is my bike that has been stagnent for over 2 years, (since my operation)

One of the first "fully" bikes at the time. Note, that my 3rd son needed new pedals and that is why they are missing. The "elastomere" (spelling?") on the rear is shot but I have seen that with other rescorces I can get them back up to snuff! The rear breaks have been modified but I still have the original parts.
Sorry for the bad picture!

Attachments

• Proflex.jpg
    Proflex.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
fantastic bikes, prof. my last bike before i got out of racing in the late 80s was a Tommasini Prestige/all Dura Ace. in black marble-ized finish, i owned it 6 weeks before it became the third italian steel race bike stolen from me within a period of a year. one of the reasons i got out of the sport, but yours sure brings back the memories. i remember feeling that it climbed like an elevator.

That's a downer of a story shrinkboy, but you're right about Tommasinis and their ability to climb; getting that bike to move is near effortless. My friend has a Colnago Master from the same era equipped with the same gruppo as me. When he took my Tommasini out for a ride, he told me he'd rather have my Tommasini over his Colnago for that reason alone.

a nice little acquisition recently- this ~1982 Dawes Echelon racer; Reynolds 531, nice Suntour and associated gear, Weinmann alloy rims on Maillard hubs, all original as sold, but someone along the way mounted up the copper rivet Brooks Professional saddle, almost by itself making the purchase a score. i'm busy correcting some paint flaws, but i'm gonna leave it as is but rebuild bearings, put on new cables and housings, new bar tape, and i'll post pix when done.

Attachments

• stuff 4 sale 054 (Small).jpg
    stuff 4 sale 054 (Small).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 12
  • stuff 4 sale 053 (Small).jpg
    stuff 4 sale 053 (Small).jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 16
  • stuff 4 sale 052 (Small).jpg
    stuff 4 sale 052 (Small).jpg
    78 KB · Views: 18
Very cool Dawes. Since this thread started I've been checking my local craigslist for a nice vintage bike but haven't found anything very interesting in my size.

it's a 63 cm; i'm six two/three, somewhere's in there. in the racing days, they loved my draft...

My first real bike was a Schwinn kick-back 2 speed (bought very used) that was way cool as a 10 year old. I rebuilt it as well in the mid 90's.

I don't know how I missed this thread. I have a '61 Schwinn Jaguar basket-case that I would like to redo. Picked up a Bendix 2-speed kickback for it as well. Also hiding in the shed is a Paramount frame in green. Such gorgeous brazes. Lastly, a basket-case Schwinn 24" wheel frame. Could not decide whether to put it together as a Ram's Horn or a Manta-Ray. Finding a Manta-Ray seat at the dump pretty much settled it. I'll post a pic of my street bike later, it's a Raleigh.

Wow. Just found this thread. The late 70's and early 80's were my bike days. I worked at a high end bike shop from the time I was 13 through college. The shop had a racing team that was sponsored by Shimano. I got to ride and work on all the cool stuff. We got to build team bikes out of the new shimano aero gear in the 80's. They sent us flattened aerodynamic spokes and the first boipace stuff. Any of these rig a bell?

Richard Sachs
Somec
Teledyne
Roberts
Gios Torino
Cinelli
Colnago
Knight
Masi
Tomasini
Whitcomb

Unfortunatly I was never a camera nut so I have limited pictures. I do have a current pic my orginal stumpjumper.

Attachments

• img133.jpg
    img133.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 8
  • img132.jpg
    img132.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 6
  • img135.jpg
    img135.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 6
Plymouth Criterium. L to R - David Ware, Tony Chastain, Matt Rini, Jack Nash, Chris Carmichael.

Attachments

• stowe shimano 1980.jpg
    stowe shimano 1980.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom