Vintage Radio Shack/Realistic Speakers?

I have long maintained this notion about Realistic/RS gear: if someone breaks into your house, they'll take the Kenwood, Pioneer etc gear and leave the Radio Shack stuff alone thinking that it is junk. Thankfully, we all know better!!

been running a pair of 40-1310A supertweeters since 1986..they just make everything sound sweeter no matter what music you throw at them. They feel reassuringly solid too..i just wish i had kept the original box for them...i think they,ve become a bit collectible in certain circles..:scratch2:

Same here tucker , I wish I had my 4024 Machs that I bought new and gave to my son a couple of years ago. Not long after that I picked up a Sta-2080 and switched out my Sansui 9090db that I originally ran the Mach's with all these years. I'd love to hear them hooked up to the 2080.

Anyone know of a Realistic speaker which was made by KLH ?

This topic was discused on another forum a few years ago, but no example was presented, but several people claimed that yes indeed KLH did produce a speaker for Radio Shack around 1959-60 that was very much like KLH's model 6. Back in those days, both firms were located in Boston, so I can see it being possible.

The original Optimus speakers, the Optimus 1, resembles KLH speakers of that time but I doubt that they were actually made by KLH.

My Optimus 5B's resemble KLH 5's as far as the layout of drivers and cabinet size, but not made by KLH, IIRC. If you google images of both, the woofers, mids and tweets are not the same.

Anyone know of a Realistic speaker which was made by KLH ?

This topic was discused on another forum a few years ago, but no example was presented, but several people claimed that yes indeed KLH did produce a speaker for Radio Shack around 1959-60 that was very much like KLH's model 6. Back in those days, both firms were located in Boston, so I can see it being possible.

I have a copy of the 1967 Radio Shack catalog. They had KLH 17s and 6s in there. Wharfedales too.

Old thread, but what the heck............I'll plug Realistic any day....
Rodger That JJ...My 4029s'' & my 2080 is (literally)all the audio I would ever want again. While everything else seems to falling apart around my homestead, my hearing is still as sharp as a pin and my 2080/Mach Ones are PRICELESS.

''(Using VL's modifications but alittle astray from his published works found here at AK..):smoke:
VL- Hope all is well with you & yours. May God Bless you this great holiday-Ed

I have some 1B's. Hooked them up last night vs. some Optimus 45's. They actually sounded better than I expected. They aren't as open as th 45's but too, the 45's have Peerless dome tweeters rather than the stock cones. The Peerless fir right in and look factory.

The 1B's need the cabinets refinished. They have several water rings on top where someone used them as a coaster but are are otherwise fine.

Rodger That JJ...My 4029s'' & my 2080 is (literally)all the audio I would ever want again. While everything else seems to falling apart around my homestead, my hearing is still as sharp as a pin and my 2080/Mach Ones are PRICELESS.

''(Using VL's modifications but alittle astray from his published works found here at AK..):smoke:
VL- Hope all is well with you & yours. May God Bless you this great holiday-Ed
Any chance of elaporating on the deviation? I'm moding one cabinet, got as far as knocking a 4" hole in the mid chamber. Need to run sealant along the inside due to braces (where the back cover mates) that have gaps and may leak with the pressure. By the say, anyone change or mod the back cover? clearly it wasn't designed for the pressure of the 15"er (sealed off), so I was wondering did anyone notice vibration coming off that cover? Only 1/2" thick stock.

Picked up a pair of 7b's yesterday since they were cheap, boxes need to be refinished but the wood is solid and the speakers are still mint. I need to see if someone changed the crossovers but I'll tell you what these little baby's fill my room with sound. I have a nice pair of JBL L36's and to me these sound just as good. I have them hooked to a "shack" STA-84 so they are paired good.

I did it again last year. I was so happy with the 1050's that when I came across a pair of Nova 8's at a tag sale I grabbed them for $10 for the pair. The left speaker had blown caps and I replaced them with new ones from Parts Express. The right speaker was going to get a new set of caps also this winter, but for now I'm running it with the old caps. They have a beautiful sound in my study and match up quite nicely to my Sherwood RX 4109 receiver. Great sound. Because of health issues, we may be selling our home and moving to a senior development at some point, I only hope I can take them with us if we go. This is a fun thread!

I did it again last year. I was so happy with the 1050's that when I came across a pair of Nova 8's at a tag sale I grabbed them for $10 for the pair. The left speaker had blown caps and I replaced them with new ones from Parts Express. The right speaker was going to get a new set of caps also this winter, but for now I'm running it with the old caps. They have a beautiful sound in my study and match up quite nicely to my Sherwood RX 4109 receiver. Great sound. Because of health issues, we may be selling our home and moving to a senior development at some point, I only hope I can take them with us if we go. This is a fun thread!
No lack of RS stuff around here, there and everywhere else for that matter. No lack of people who enjoy them either.

Running a pair of MINT Nova 8's now with stock caps, powered by a little Kenwood 4140. Sweet music. Amazing how nice these speaker are - smooth, detailed and non-fatiguing with good bass. I can listen to them all day.

As a kid I owned Optimus-50s. I am sure that for their day they were a decent speaker for a teenager, but if I heard them today I'd less than enthusiastic. I guess I tend the gravitate towards the "newer is generally better" camp.

I've sat here for the last half hour or so listening to Patricia Barber on a Pioneer SX-680 driving my Optimus 1B's. Now that they've ran a few hours, I'm quite impressed with then. Not the most detailed or accurate but I get no listening fatigue. Decent speakers... definitely worthy or refinishing the cabinets and rebuilding the X-overs.

Back
Top Bottom