Vintage Radio Shack/Realistic Speakers?

I've got 6 pairs of the 7w... I don't know why but I can't resist buying them. They are the cutest thing ever. Everything you need in a compact enclosure.
I also have 2 empty 7w and 2 black 7s.

I've got 1 in each corner of my garage and what is below 80hz is directed to a custom built box with 2 cerwin vega 10 inchers. Sounds pretty good.

And a Realistic speaker collector would be nowhere without mach-ones (4024a, please).

They are my Left, center and right main channels in my ht room. Ok, it's my wife's living room... but it's my ht room. Depends on the point of view.

I've got an extra 4024a that has a damaged woofer. Picked it up cheap, had some sort of water damage. Woofer cone is destroyed (funny thing is the surround is still perfect..). I keep it for parts (just in case)

I saw a pair of Optimus T-110s at the GW today. $60. I'm not a Realistic guy, so I didn't bother.
Too bad, those are well like models, especially the looks. Should go back and get them when they have a half off sale, may not be as painful then. ;-)

I've got 6 pairs of the 7w... I don't know why but I can't resist buying them. They are the cutest thing ever. Everything you need in a compact enclosure.
I also have 2 empty 7w and 2 black 7s.)

Almost sounds like some kind of mental disorder. When they name mine, I'll let you know (I have the same thing) :D

My first pair of speakers were the Realistic Optimus T-120s and my first receiver was the Realistic STA-2600.

The amplifier was a bit anemic for 100 watts RMS rating per channel, but the Optimus T-120s couldnt take it all anyways.

Very nice starter combo. Ill always have a sentimental spot in my heart for them.

Looking to pick up soem Mach Twos. I almost snagged a pair at Habitat Store a few years ago for $50. The cabinets were in poor scratched up shape but the drivers were perfect. There was also a pair of Altec's there. But I didnt have the cash on me. Went back the next day, and they were BOTH gone. :(

I just wanted to add, that I really dug most of the speaker parts that Radio Shack stocked. The tweeters as mentioned before and the especially that 6.5" poly mid-woofer, which I used on my second pair of speaker builds, 2 ways with tweeter, bookshelf sized. Those were fantastic!

I still have a pair of optimus 1's that I bought new in 1973 - they are part of my basement system, driven by a realistic STA-75 receiver. Although I haven't rebuilt the crossovers, they sound quite good - very balanced and crisp, with good high-frequency response - although very directional, as the tweeters have tubular baffles inside the cabinet. While these speakers don't sound quite as good as my AR3a's, they do sound good and were a great value at the time I bought them.

Jim

I bought a pair of RS Nova 6 for a tenner. They are my second favourite speaker in the house after the newly acquired Magnepan 2.6s. I use them on my computer powered by a Sherwood s-7450cp positioned about three feet pointed at each ear. I find them to be everything I ever wanted in a speaker - good bass and surprisingly detailed highs (probably 'cause they're pointing right into my ears).

I like them so much that I'm ready to buy any more Nova's I come across.

I bought a pair of RS Nova 6 for a tenner. They are my second favourite speaker in the house after the newly acquired Magnepan 2.6s. I use them on my computer powered by a Sherwood s-7450cp positioned about three feet pointed at each ear. I find them to be everything I ever wanted in a speaker - good bass and surprisingly detailed highs (probably 'cause they're pointing right into my ears).

I like them so much that I'm ready to buy any more Nova's I come across.

The Nova series are definite sleepers in the Realistic speaker department. I own a pair of Nova 6, 7b and 8b.

The Nova series are definite sleepers in the Realistic speaker department. I own a pair of Nova 6, 7b and 8b.
Ditto on the 7b (2 pairs). Also own the 5b (sibling to the 8b, just different xover). Have one pair of the 7b's in my shop, listen to them 9-10hr a day. Never get tired of them. Can't wait to cap them and do the updates to the 5b's (VL mods).

Hello. I'm late to respond to this thread, but semi-new to the Optimus/Realistic speaker world. Sure, as a kid from the early 70's and 80's teen I saw the rise and fall of the great audio gear and the demise of the listeners minds- destroyed by the dark side of marriage (the wife hates speakers,etc/ men without balls). With this came great deals and a resurgence of the best and next best gear.
Back to the thread.......sure, as a kid the bigger the better. I currently own some Radio Shack brand speakers. Mach One by Realistic and a pair of Optimus-21. One thing I can vouch for that no other speaker, none, in my experience has been able to do that RS did--- that is the speaker surrounds are still alive in original form! These haven't failed were as audiophile brands have.
Also the cabinets are still perfect or able to be brought back to 'like new' and mint condition.
As for the sonic quality....they are above average. The Mach One can hang with Altec Lansing Model 14 but will never beat the 14's. Optimus-21 can hang with Acoustic Research AR-3 but can never beat the 3's. Or 2's.

The receivers seem to be going strong as well. Same with Pacific Stereo Conepts- love them.

What other brand is still in the race from the golden years? Non stop?

So, recently acquired my third pair of Mach Two and fifth pair of Mach One speakers. The latter are 4024a and have original surrounds and made in 1977. That's almost 40 years with the same foam surround intact and working. The prior need the typical surrounds, but thankfully I have a spare set of drivers with new foam already, so just need to swap them out. I have the STA-2500, which I believe to be a better receiver than the 2600, which replaced it. They're definitely different construction and the 2500 actually weighs more than the 2600. Not a dig, but it was pointed out the 2600 was "anemic". Still own my T-110, T-120 and working on a set of T-200. Too many RS speakers to list, that I still own.

I have re-built, restored many RS products. Walnut cabs are not bad with some bracing added, a few of their drivers are good for re-use, the over all sound of most of their platforms was acceptable on a mid-fi level.

More often than not I found re-using their cabinets (after re-bracing), retrofitting them with improved quality drivers and matching networks was the magic ticket The (1st) Mach 1's with VL upgrades was an exception to this and even then it too was cab & crossovermodified.

The RS was a notch above Sparkomatics and Thrusters. I still look for them to this day to use a base platforms!
DC

Pair of T-120s here as well. Refresh thread here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/realistic-t-120-refresh.625303/

y3mOiCdjCB1UufSIdu1zBKHIaMvCWYuUIBovfMhLvksegNp0KfPeaFSNoLmounXgMI90s5K9XZj0sh-XdUS-Aij_3VPm9Y4KE1Tf5Xvl-lcFGOS5vGaH_2LXeWuEBBDFISB2zOVFkTq9Gfo5UIwm-4MSA

Wow, it me a few hours to read all the posts and check out the web links. I agree that RS speakers do sound pretty dam good. recent purchases are Mach Ones 4029, Optimus 5's. The Mach Ones have been hooked up to vintage gear and sounded great and I now have them in my two channel system: PS Audio 4.5 preamp, and Yamaha M85 running 30wpc class A. I switch between them and the Kappa 8.1's. Like the lower end of the Kappa's butt the Mach's kick there but for vocals. The Machs do seem to loose some of there mid drive sound when turned up. Since they are original I will do the VL lady upgrade I think. Will that improve midrange?
As for the Optimus 5's they sound wonderful on a recapped NAD 3020. RS speakers seem to sound better on vintage gear to me. I am also thinking a VL upgrade for them. Thoughts? Worth the investment? The cabinets are furniture grade and look awesome after some linseed oil application.
I also have three pairs of minus 7's, one with replaced cap, they do sound good.

Last question. I really like the looks of the T-120 speaker. There is a pair of T-100's nearby for $130.00. Is that too much? Should I hold out for the T120/130? Do these tower speakers sound better than the Optimus 5's?

Sorry for the long post. Main system is 1796 Cornwalls's, VRD mono tube amps withe KT88 gold lions, and a blueberry pre amp. Just trying to put together a good SS system vs tube.
Appreciate any response.

I have a pair of Optimus T-100's, T-200's and T-300 speakers. Great speakers, especially when hooked to my Realistic STA-95 or Realistic STA 2300 receivers.
Mind you, they all sound good an any receiver I have but the Realistic receivers seem to bring out the best in these speakers.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I do not have a realistic receiver, maybe I will look into getting one.
Does anyone know what parts are needed to replace the crossovers on the 110's. They are covered in glue so I cannot read the numbers. I would hate to tear them apart before buying the replacement parts

Back
Top Bottom