Vintage Radio Shack/Realistic Speakers?

Forgot to check back in on this thread. Sorry for the late post. I recapped the Optimus 5's my self , but skipped the Vl upgrade, which was above my ability. The speakers sound much better in the high's, much more clear like a veil had been removed. The bass is tightening up with more hours on them. I know some say there is no burn in time, but I am definitely noticing improvements as time goes by. They are my garage setup, with a Hafler 1020 pre and a Fisher BA6000 100wpc amp. Boy can they crank out some clean sound, and loud too.

Just read this whole thread. I'm casting my vote in favor of Radio Shack/Realistic producing superior speakers. I've got 4 pair here and all are terrific. Got JBL's here too. AR's as well. Allison's also. Couple PSB's, some Infinity's, etc. The Shack should get congrats for bringing the price down for Hi Fi sound.

I have three pair of these Realistic super tweeters. One set I use on top of my Frugal Horns to add some top end sparkle. Too bad the word has gotten out on these so prices have really escalated. The ones made in Japan are preferred and are said to be made by Fostex. Less desirable Radio Shack models were made in Korea and then China but they all work great.

images

Last edited:
Here are my personal rankings for some of the Realistic speakers I have owned in the past:

#1--Realistic T-120 (VERY nice sounding speakers. Should have kept them)
#2--Realistic Mach One
#3--Realistic Mach Two
#4--Realistic T-100 (kind of dull sounding...maybe due to the cone tweeters or maybe needed new capacitors)

Searched for info on these speakers and this posting came upwith a mention of Sunwood and Tandy speakers . These may be a little old for the posting but thought I'd try here first. This is a pair ofSunwood 600BK speakers. The picture is of the rear crossover knobs/connection and a picture of the front wood grills, looks like late 60's early 70's type grills. Couldn't take them off at this time but rear label says 16" woofer. Around 20" wide, 25" high, 18" deep Owner didn't know if ported, sensitivity, or anything really about the speakers. He picked them up a while ago. Cabinets in ok shape, he says they do play. Reasonably priced.
Anyone have an info on them as far as are they any good, sensitivity, design, or should I start a new post?

Attachments

• KIMG0392.jpg
    KIMG0392.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 55
  • KIMG0393.jpg
    KIMG0393.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 52
Searched for info on these speakers and this posting came upwith a mention of Sunwood and Tandy speakers . These may be a little old for the posting but thought I'd try here first. This is a pair ofSunwood 600BK speakers. The picture is of the rear crossover knobs/connection and a picture of the front wood grills, looks like late 60's early 70's type grills. Couldn't take them off at this time but rear label says 16" woofer. Around 20" wide, 25" high, 18" deep Owner didn't know if ported, sensitivity, or anything really about the speakers. He picked them up a while ago. Cabinets in ok shape, he says they do play. Reasonably priced.
Anyone have an info on them as far as are they any good, sensitivity, design, or should I start a new post?
Start a new thread.This thread is about Realistic speakers.

There is/was...several pages back, a gentleman was on that was involved in Radio Shack/Tandy speaker design. He stated that Sunwood was an Asian OEM manufacturer for the brand.

How did I miss this tread?

I like my Realistic speakers.
I have Optimus 5Bs in the living room system. These have the steel basket woofer with the shingle-gravel-looking reinforcement around the dust cap.
I supplement them with Minimus 7s if a bit more spaciousness works for a particular song.
The Minimus 7s work well for that purpose.
The 5B's do everything pretty well, and they have really strong low end.

I run Optimus 1s (non-B) in the bedroom. These have the cast aluminum basket.
These sound really good as well.

I have a set of Minimus 7Ws as well, which are just sitting the in the corner.

I still see Realistic speakers all the time in ads and thrift stores for cheap.
Get them while you can.

Yeah, this thread came up in a google search for Sunwood speakers so I originally posted here.

I have now posted a new thread on Speakers forum.

Hope I have not violated rules with a double post!

MtnAudio,
I think Superdog just wanted your question to get the attention that it deserved.
Otherwise, it would have gotten lost in this thread.

So I was perusing through the CL ads and came across these Realistic speakers. Not half bad looking.
RCA SP-2700T Speakers, made from 1993-95, 8 inch woofer, 4 inch midrange, 1 inch dome tweeter, MSRP 600.00 PR

Attachments

• 00404_6vofvpKcCAs_600x450.jpg
    00404_6vofvpKcCAs_600x450.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 00I0I_crppTNgpNQW_600x450.jpg
    00I0I_crppTNgpNQW_600x450.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 51
All my first hard earned Hi Fi equipment were Realistic. That stuff was farmed out to other well knownJapanese manufacturers. Loudspeakers were built with Realistic speakers/crossovers based on plans in a Radio Shack book. They pioneered amateur audiophile to the masses. And they had a store in almost any small town. Couldn't wait for the new catalog to come out every year. Poor management and people settling for less at big box stores were their downfall. They have a place here and should get a little more respect. Like I built a radio with a cigar box and parts from radio shack based on their own plan sheet when I was a kid in the late 1960s. Used to ride my bike for miles to hang out. Parts Express with things like Dayton and GRS and better parts now fills some of the void using pretty much the old Shack business model.

I’ve been into audio for decades: since the early 80s… but just recently joined AK.
I have a question about vintage Radio Shack/Realistic speakers. (Don’t take this the wrong way – I’m not knocking them. I’m trying to educate myself here.)
In reading through the speaker forum, I’ve been a bit surprised that many knowledgeable members seem to hold Radio Shack/Realistic speakers in high regard. Optimus, Mach One, etc… I vividly remember these models from the 80s, but never gave them much thought because RS had/has a reputation for rather low-end merchandise. What can you tell me about RS/Realistic speakers of this vintage? Clearly they have a loyal following of people who appreciate quality audio.

Thanks in advance.

jp
IMG_20200114_142113.jpg I've bought "2 for 1" sale Realistic speakers in the 1970's which have followed me around ever since & have outlasted at least 3 receivers. Nova 88 & Optimus 21 whose sound has amazed many people when told they were "Radio Shack" speakers. I recently picked up a pair of 7-B's ($2/each) which are basically the same as the Optimus 21's except for the orientation of the twin tweeters. Have bought & built others but always end up wiring these back up someplace. Currently reloading a pair of Opimus T-100's. Still nice walnut veneer but not same build quality of earlier models. Did Sansui produce some of these units?

View attachment 1730406 I've bought "2 for 1" sale Realistic speakers in the 1970's which have followed me around ever since & have outlasted at least 3 receivers. Nova 88 & Optimus 21 whose sound has amazed many people when told they were "Radio Shack" speakers. I recently picked up a pair of 7-B's ($2/each) which are basically the same as the Optimus 21's except for the orientation of the twin tweeters. Have bought & built others but always end up wiring these back up someplace. Currently reloading a pair of Opimus T-100's. Still nice walnut veneer but not same build quality of earlier models. Did Sansui produce some of these units?

The quality of Radio Shack's 'glory days' speakers was stunning.

Many of the better ones were designed in the USA, and built in Japan by Coral or Foster (and others). Golly, even the budget Solo 1 has a full-range Fostex driver! Trying buying one of those today.

Last edited:
View attachment 1730406 I've bought "2 for 1" sale Realistic speakers in the 1970's which have followed me around ever since & have outlasted at least 3 receivers. Nova 88 & Optimus 21 whose sound has amazed many people when told they were "Radio Shack" speakers. I recently picked up a pair of 7-B's ($2/each) which are basically the same as the Optimus 21's except for the orientation of the twin tweeters. Have bought & built others but always end up wiring these back up someplace. Currently reloading a pair of Opimus T-100's. Still nice walnut veneer but not same build quality of earlier models. Did Sansui produce some of these units?

i have a couple pair of T-100, turned out nice when I replaced the stock tweeter with a phenolic ring tweeter from Parts Express. It was a very worthwhile upgrade. Cabinet wise, the veneer refreshes fantastically. I also put in some effort to add extra bracing to the inside of the cabinets. I believe that was well worth the effort also!

I also have Minimus 7W and the accompanying subwoofer.
My favorite RS speakers are easily my Optimus 7.

regards,

Smiley

I'm surprised I haven't chimed in here before. Most of the Realistics I've had have been well made and sound pleasing enough, if not always particularly accurate or uncolored. Some I've had include:

Mach One (with VL mod)
Mach Two
Nova-7B
Optimus-1B
Nova-8
Nova-8B (with VL mod)
MC-1000
LX-4
Minimus-8 (with Fostex FE-103 clones)
and a bunch of Minimus-7s.

I still have the ones in bold. The only ones I really regret getting rid of are the LX-4s.

I'm surprised I haven't chimed in here before. Most of the Realistics I've had have been well made and sound pleasing enough, if not always particularly accurate or uncolored. Some I've had include:

Mach One (with VL mod)
Mach Two
Nova-7B
Optimus-1B
Nova-8
Nova-8B (with VL mod)
MC-1000
LX-4
Minimus-8 (with Fostex FE-103 clones)
and a bunch of Minimus-7s.

I still have the ones in bold. The only ones I really regret getting rid of are the LX-4s.

What’s VL mod?

Back
Top Bottom