Vintage Receiver and New TV/Laptop/MP3

PMCA88

Hi all,
I have recently purchased a Setton RS220 and a set of KEF Cresta 1 speakers. I am new to the audiophile world and am clueless about setting up my system. There is some info on the RS220 available here:
http://www.hifi-studio.de/hifi-klassiker/Setton/Setton_RS220/RS220.htm
I would like to know if its safe to connect my TV (a new Pannasonic Viera tx-40c300b) or laptop or MP3 player to the receiver via either the AUX/TapeA/B play ports. I believe I will need to get an audio jack to RCA cable to do this.
My main concern is whether the TV/laptop/MP3 will supply too much power to the receiver. I believe that sensitivity of the receiver will be key too this...(I barely understand what sensitivity is...), if so from the specs at the location above, the Setton has a sensitivity of 150mV 50 k ohms. From my limited understanding of the modern systems they will have a higher voltage than this...? From my limited understanding of sensitivity this means that before the e.g. TV is at full volume the receiver will already have reached max volume...?
*If so how do I know the max volume I can set on the TV?
*If so what will happen if I higher the TV volume to above what the receiver can handle?
I dont actually have the receiver/speakers yet, they are arriving early next week. Could anyone give me some advice/provide clarity so that I can set up my system?
Many thanks,
Peter

Just hook it up. Will be fine.

You will have two adjustment points. Just set the receiver at a low volume and see what you get using the TV's control.

Normally set the receiver.volume up so that with the TV volume 1/2 way there is normal volume. That way you have leeway to adjust up or down remotely.

Damage to the input won't happen with any level the TV could put out.

Many thanks for your reply whoaru99. I was worried that the TV/laptop/MP3 would input too much power and cause damage to the receiver. If you looked at the image at the link provided you can see that there is a clipping warning light on the front of the receiver. Presumably it would start flashing if there was an issue? Peter

The clipping indicator is most likely regarding the overall output of the receiver, not the input level.

But, generally, if the clipping light flashes more than occasionally during any given song/movie, it's a real good indication to turn down the volume.

Back
Top Bottom