Vintage receiver choice

Guytar

Hi there,
My name is Guillaume, I'm 41 and living up north in Sweden. This is my first post, I've been reading your forum the last weeks and I must say I'm impressed withe the amount of passion and knowledge around here!

I have been intrested in hi-fi since a long time ago. My father was too, my first amplifier was an akai from the 90's (no much hi-fi I know now). Then went on with my father's old philips 591. Much nicer sound indeed.
Actually running a Nad 320 with a pair of bookshelf from Dali at 88db. Quite decent for my need (low volume listening in a living room all kind of music from 60's to now)but I want something with more warmth/presence at both lows, mediumand highs at low level listening. That is the reason why I want to go vintage. Budget should stay under say 300us for it. But I'll be happy with one at 100. I can then put som money into vintage speakers with higher efficiency.

To my question now. On auction/2nd hand sites I found those receivers that looks OK on the paper.. I know it is very subjectiv but could some experts tell wich ones are most quality both sound and built or simply which one you'd go for? My main concern is sound quality/wattage. Fm part is not a criteria, But nice to have.

Akai 1030 30w pobably around 90usd.
Akai 8030 25w. 120usd.
Marantz 2216b 16w (looks so gorgeous) 200usd
NAD 120 20w 150USD
Sansui 771 32w 300usd .

As I said I listen low to low-moderate level. Play mostly spotify and some nice cds.
The low wattage of the marantz scares me, but it is lovely designed (overpriced??)

I'll be thankful for any comments/advice

Cheers
Guillaume

Firstly, hej, welcome to AK, plenty of diverse opions and plenty of help available.
I haven't tinkered with any of the above units but I'd be inclined to go for the 771, though it is a little expensive.
Also, why limit your choice to only the above list? Maybe harvest some opinion, perhaps a short list of 2-3 amps/RX's and wait.

Sadly, nothing lasts forever, including vintage hi-fi, they should be refurbished, ie, recap, replace known problematic transistors, decent trimmers, clean pots/switches etc.
Hopefully you can diy, and also do basic tasks like check bias and dc offset, A multimeter is essential. Plenty of grteat vintage gear out there.

Welcome to AK Guytar. All of the gear listed would be a good place to start. The 2216B is a impressive unit mated to a pair of efficient speakers. You already know NAD and Akai are solid performers.

Barney

Welcome to AK Guytar. I agree with mbz, if l had the choice out of those you list l would take the Sansui 771 (prob not for that price though). However the Akai 1030 will be built just as well (13kg) and will sound just as good as the Sansui and is by FAR the best value piece you have listed there.

Thanks for the answers!
Yes, Sansui seems to be really nice amps!
Those are just a sample of what I found on sell and I can think of other models of course even an integrated!
There is much to discover and I can imagine recaping by myself or take help of a shop if the machine deserves it! It's necessary I think to understand the technical aspects and be able to repair it.Oldsansui, I feel the same about the Akai but don't want save the money if a few more bux gives me a bargain. Maybe a sansui or a higher spec marantz would be a good next step?!

Just my opinion, speakers would make the biggest APPARENT change in the sound you hear.
Not saying yours are not good, just saying if you want a change, it's much more likely to come from a speaker change than from an amp or receiver change.

That is assuming your current electronics are working properly.

When I have read that you want more warmth/presence, I am surprised that you didn't consider good old German made brands, such as Grundig, especially FineArts series, Telefunken, Wega? Price is much much lower then anything mentioned, but sound is very warm. The same goes about speakers. I would chose something like, Canton, HECO, ELAC, Quart, Quadral.

I only have experience with the Sansui 771.
It is a fine receiver with a beautiful warm sound.
However, $300 may be high for it.

Sound quality is more dependent on the condition of the unit than anything else.
40-yr-old receivers benefit greatly from refurbishment.

Hi
Thanks again for all inputs!

I've been looking at some grundig speakers now, they seem to be nice soundingand huge!!

Refurbishment seems to be inevitable as I understand to get the original sound quality!
It is a good diy job I think but I wouldn't dare on a nicer receiver .
Any danger to run as it is?

Hi there,
My name is Guillaume, I'm 41 and living up north in Sweden. This is my first post, I've been reading your forum the last weeks and I must say I'm impressed withe the amount of passion and knowledge around here!

I have been intrested in hi-fi since a long time ago. My father was too, my first amplifier was an akai from the 90's (no much hi-fi I know now). Then went on with my father's old philips 591. Much nicer sound indeed.
Actually running a Nad 320 with a pair of bookshelf from Dali at 88db. Quite decent for my need (low volume listening in a living room all kind of music from 60's to now)but I want something with more warmth/presence at both lows, mediumand highs at low level listening. That is the reason why I want to go vintage. Budget should stay under say 300us for it. But I'll be happy with one at 100. I can then put som money into vintage speakers with higher efficiency.

To my question now. On auction/2nd hand sites I found those receivers that looks OK on the paper.. I know it is very subjectiv but could some experts tell wich ones are most quality both sound and built or simply which one you'd go for? My main concern is sound quality/wattage. Fm part is not a criteria, But nice to have.

Akai 1030 30w pobably around 90usd.
Akai 8030 25w. 120usd.
Marantz 2216b 16w (looks so gorgeous) 200usd
NAD 120 20w 150USD
Sansui 771 32w 300usd .

As I said I listen low to low-moderate level. Play mostly spotify and some nice cds.
The low wattage of the marantz scares me, but it is lovely designed (overpriced??)

I'll be thankful for any comments/advice

Cheers
Guillaume

Welcome!

I have a 2216b and the 16w suits me just fine. I use 1960 Jensen speakers with it and it is marvelous. It has been mostly recapped, and LEDs installed in the dial. It sounds pretty and looks gorgeous ! $200usd is a decent price!

Hi biscuithead!

What sensitivity are your speakers? It needs above 90db as I understand?
Yeah Marantz is tempting. ..
I think the final will be Marantz vs Akai.
Too bad there is no chance of listening before.

Hi again,

Just a quick update!

After lot of reading I did narrowed my search to a few models available, I missed some on auction sites, but ended up buying an Akai AA-8030 for a 90usd! It is a model that came 73 when Akai was at its best along with its big brother 8080. It was Kind of their toprange apparently. After a quick cleaning, everything seems to be working great, despite a dead lamp and a lite mechanical buzzing sound of the PS. I will try to re tighten the screws and replace the cap of the transformer and see if it gets better. The Dc offset is nice between 0-1 ma. I had previously buyed a pair of Pioneer CS.E400, from 72, and I must say i am amazed with the sound as it is original. Don't have much to compare but my NAD C320 is getting to en early retirement :)

Thanx again for all advices!

After lot of reading I did narrowed my search to a few models available, I missed some on auction sites, but ended up buying an Akai AA-8030 for a 90usd! It is a model that came 73 when Akai was at its best along with its big brother 8080. It was Kind of their toprange apparently. After a quick cleaning, everything seems to be working great, despite a dead lamp and a lite mechanical buzzing sound of the PS. I will try to re tighten the screws and replace the cap of the transformer and see if it gets better. The Dc offset is nice between 0-1 ma. I had previously buyed a pair of Pioneer CS.E400, from 72, and I must say i am amazed with the sound as it is original. Don't have much to compare but my NAD C320 is getting to en early retirement :)

Sounds like your are enjoying your new setup :thumbsup:.

Back
Top Bottom