Vintage reel mower estate sale find

andy

Probably an unwise purchase, but for $40 it followed me home. The fact that it had the original manual with it pushed me over the edge. The engine has a 1965 date code on it. It's obviously very dirty, but it looks decent under the dirt. Based on the amount of dust on it, I think it's been sitting unused for a long time.

As found, it was full of very dirty oil, and the gas tank was bone dry. I drained the old oil and gave it a rinse with naphtha, then a rinse with some used engine oil to rinse out the naphtha, and finally filled it with fresh oil. I put some gas in it, but it wouldn't even try to run. It has a good spark, and it was sucking fuel into the cylinder. We worked on similar engines in 8th grade shop class, about 20 years ago, so I've decided to try to make it run. Even if this engine is beyond repair, it's a common Briggs & Stratton that won't be expensive to replace.

I removed the head, and found a ton of carbon. It was so thick it was coming off in large chunks, and you could hardly see the exhaust valve. The intake valve was so worn that you could easily turn it when it was closed. It also looks like the head gasket was leaking. The cylinder is still smooth, so I've ordered a new valve and head gasket on ebay for under $10 combined. We'll see if it runs soon. I may file down the old valve stem while I'm waiting for the parts to see if I can at least get it to start.

Here are some pictures in its current partially disassembled state.

Attachments

• homko.jpg
    homko.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 133
  • homko1.jpg
    homko1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 98
  • homko2.jpg
    homko2.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 116
I would check to see if it has compression. Any easy way is to check is to disconnect the spark plug wire and pull the rope slowly. If it goes out without resistance or very little you probably have little or no compression. If it pulls out with a part of little resistance then suddenly harder to pull then it goes back to easy then back to the harder then the compression is probably good.

I have a 5 HP briggs engine from rougly the same time frame and it has no compression at all. It had also stat outside for 20+ years and had as gas tank of varnish, carburetor is seized solid, etc. One advantage about these is most briggs horizontal engines are pretty much the same so worst case for using it you can always swap the engine.

Years back I picked up a similar design Toro. Mine ran, but needed a drive chain to the clutch. Cut my lawn for a few years with it after I got the blade sharpened. Got a lot of looks. Ran nice and quiet.

Have fun!

awesome, I sell Outdoor Power Equipment and a John Deere dealer and really enjoy these old gems. Please post pics with your progress so I can share with others not on this forum.

I would check to see if it has compression. Any easy way is to check is to disconnect the spark plug wire and pull the rope slowly. If it goes out without resistance or very little you probably have little or no compression. If it pulls out with a part of little resistance then suddenly harder to pull then it goes back to easy then back to the harder then the compression is probably good.

Oh, I'm sure it has no compression due (at least in part) to the worn intake valve. I hope the rings aren't too worn. I measured about 30 PSI with an old compression tester I found at another sale. B&S don't publish a spec, but that seems very low. The valve is supposed to arrive today, so if I have time I'll be able to test it tonight.

I cut my front yard of Zoysia with one. I bought it used from a golf course. I get lots of comments form people walking... is it real?

Attachments

• P1010140.jpg
    P1010140.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 41
Looks like a Briggs model 6 or 8, good engine. Carbs are a bit strange on those. A common issue on these if they have been sitting a long time is oxidized points. On mine I just swapped out a modern B&S ignition coil off a model 9, no points needed. Most of the older ignition coils are mechanically compatible. Reel mowers are easy to sharpen too, A google search will find detailed instructions. Basically you flip the pawl around, then rotate the reel in reverse, with cutting compound applied to the blades.

I installed the new valve, and reassembled the engine. Now I can at least feel the compression stroke when I pull the starter. I can just about get it to run with the throttle in "high". It's rough, and doesn't have much power, but it's something. It dies in "low" throttle, or if I engage the cutters.

I will check the carburetor and ignition points tomorrow when I won't be annoying the neighbors.

Attachments

• homko3.jpg
    homko3.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Now, THAT is as Kewl as all Get-Out ! I'll bet the old gal still has a lot of life left in her...

I gave the carburetor a quick look, after reading the adjustment instructions, and I saw that the idle adjust screw is missing. That would explain why it dies in the low slow throttle setting.

Brings back memories! Was just thinking about reel-type mowers earlier today. I need a new mower.

When I was a kid, I used a couple of reel mowers, one was a Craftsman I remember going to Sears with my father to buy probably 1963 or so. Dad was an avid golfer so he had to have the lawn cut with the same type of mower the pros at the golf course used.

old to new

Love the old vintage stuff, but thought you guys might like to see what this style of mower has evolved into!

attachment.php

Attachments

• JDreel.jpg
    JDreel.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 164
Well, the engine is running a little better, but it's still pretty rough and lacking in power. Based on the smell of the exhaust, I'd say it's burning a fair amount of oil. It may be cheaper to look for another engine since this one has clearly not been cared for very well.

An even bigger problem is that someone disabled the power to the wheels by removing the drive gears. Considering that it isn't a common brand, it might be an insurmountable problem. Maybe I'll ask around some forums that deal with vintage power equipment.

Well, the engine is running a little better, but it's still pretty rough and lacking in power. Based on the smell of the exhaust, I'd say it's burning a fair amount of oil. It may be cheaper to look for another engine since this one has clearly not been cared for very well.

An even bigger problem is that someone disabled the power to the wheels by removing the drive gears. Considering that it isn't a common brand, it might be an insurmountable problem. Maybe I'll ask around some forums that deal with vintage power equipment.

I'm actually pretty decent with fixing up old lawn mower engines myself maybe I could take a look at it. :D

But no seriously I have actually brought an old Husky (Tractor Supply Company) 21" pushmower with a 5 HP Briggs and Stratton engine on it that had sat at my grandfather's place outside for 5 years back to life and running perfectly like new and the only thing I replaced on it was the old recoil.

I'm not too worried about the engine. Parts are cheap and readily available, and replacing the whole engine would be simple.

I'm going to shelve the project until I can figure out a solution for the missing drive gears, or I find a better mower (which ever comes first).

Nice find but, actually, a miserable example of a reel mower. I worked on various ones for about 10 years. I developed some parts for the multi-gang JD fairway mower pictured above. All of our golf course greens and tees and croquet pitches are cut with a reel. Back in the 50's-60's, Toro and Jacobson made mowers for the residential market and the cut of a reel mower is far above that of a rotary.

I was fortunate enough to take some tutelage from the descendant of the gentleman that held the patent for the original reel mower. His family now makes reel sharpening equipment and their reel sharpener will run you about $40K. The bed knife grinder is another $15K. This is the problem with using a reel mower, the upkeep and maintenance is something only a golf course can abide. They don't do that great a job on turf over 1 1/2" high, either. If you can get one sharp and adjusted correctly, you'll have the greenest lawn on the block.

Back
Top Bottom