1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Vintage Russian 6P14P-EV any good?

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by Mike52787, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Mike52787

Mike52787 New Member

Hi, This is my first post on ak, but certainly not my last. Today I received a nice Fisher X-100-3 in the mail, and as is typical with the US mail it was damaged. One of the original quad of Mullard 7189s was broken, and the other three were rattling around in the box. Right now I'm running the three remaining Mullards and a GE 7189 I had lying around.

So, I hopped on eBay, and found a cheap quad of vintage Russian 6P14P-EVs. These seem to be a drop in replacement with the same specs as the 7189 (cant use el84s, this amp has waaay too much plate voltage) I am a little bit wary of these, as I haven't heard great things about other Russian tubes. Has anyone tried these tubes? are they any good or would I be better off with the mishmash I currently have?

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Mdpaudio

Mdpaudio New Member

I love them and have used them in places where a standard el84 fear not go. They are essentially 7189s. EVs are the best of the best along with ERs. They sound good too. At a fraction of the price of vintage if you can find them it’s a no brained.

3. kward

kward AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yup. Sovtek EL84M's are just as good though. So get the least expensive ones.

4. Mike52787

Mike52787 New Member

Thanks guys.

The sovteks are a bit more expensive than the others I was looking at, can you clarify if EL84M = 7189A? if I can find em somewhere else cheaper they seem like a good alternative.

5. kward

kward AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yes, the EL84M is used interchangeably in circuits that call for a 7189.

6. Tinkerbelle

Tinkerbelle Everything in Moderation Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Subscriber

Agree with the above. I have used the 6P14P-EV in a number of amps and receivers and they have performed very well. They are a rated longer life, more rugged tube - specs.

triode17 likes this.

7. primosounds

primosounds Powered with pure tube sounds. Subscriber

When they first started to show up on the market place you could buy a box of 100 for around 200.00+. They sold like hotcakes.

8. Mike52787

Mike52787 New Member

Thanks everybody, definitely going to pull the trigger on a quad of them. $50 shipped to my door, can't beat that.

9. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

FWIW, I like them - they are inexpensive, rugged and sound good (at least to me).

10. macgolf

macgolf Beethoven 2004 - 2018 Subscriber

I have a quad as backups for my X-100-3. I've put hundreds of hours on them. No complaints about the sound, for the price. They do fit looser in my sockets,so some re-tensioning of the sockets is necessary when I swap tubes.

Mark

11. Palustris

Palustris AK Subscriber Subscriber

That's an indictment of the vendor who shipped the unit NOT the USPS. Those tubes should never have been sent installed in the amp; they should have been put into a small box within the shipping container. So, that should be a lesson learned by those who ship tube audio equipment.

I have been purchasing audio equipment on epay for about 15 years and I have to say that the quality of packaging by epay vendors has improved dramatically over the decade or so resulting in very few damaged units. So that's good news, but there are still some vendors who have no idea what they are doing.