Vintage Sony integrated for $100???

BruenoB

Building a small footprint system for a graduation gift for my GFs sister. Integrated, turntable and speakers. Budget is $300.

I'd love to find a VFET but budget just isn't big
enough.

Looking for suggestions for a nice vintage integrated for around $100. I'd prefer a Sony as I would like to get her a vintage Sony automatic turntable like a PS-X40 or similar to go with it.

Suggestions would be great!

Not familiar with Sony integrateds but you might consider a vintage Sony receiver. I have the STR-6036A from 1973/4 (18 w/channel) which can usually be found for less than $100 on that bidding site. I have much less than that in mine but like it so much I wouldn't consider selling it for what they are currently selling for. I don't have a TT but did refurb a couple this summer and was impressed enough with the phone pre. Here's a pic of mine. 20150525_182235.jpg

Good looking unit. Not opposed to a receiver but trying to keep it no larger than the turntable.

Keep in mind 17" in width is pretty much the norm for a lot of equipment so most likely any integrated will be of comparable size. That said, I definitely prefer the looks of an integrated amp, but I also would include a tuner. But with your budget a receiver is most likely the more prudent route.

While I have seen some VFET TA-4650's go for under $200 in the not so distant past, most of the ones that have sold recently sold for more. If you could find one of those for a good price, that would be sweet (I see one currently listed on CL in Phoenix for cheap). There is another one listed on the auction site, but it is a parts unit. If you are looking for a vintage SS amp that is narrower than 17", one option is a Harman Kardon A402, but those often go for as much as a TA-4650. Some other nice silver SS integrateds worth looking for would be a Kenwood KA-7300, Onkyo A-7, JVC A-X5, Luxman L-400, Technics SU-V7 to name a few.

I recently acquired a Sony HST-49 integrated AM/FM/cassette system made in 1979. It looks like a classic silver face receiver with a cassette deck built in. Picked it up at a thrift shop for $8 and got a steal of a deal. Sound is nice, tuner is excellent, and it has phono, aux, and tape 2 inputs. It's only about 8 or 9 inches front to back, so a turntable would have to sit next to it.

sony receivers are actually quite compact compared to other brands. i have a sony str-7065 (which i got for $120) and from what i have read some of the lower powered receivers are even smaller. keep in mind that if you have the sony ps-x40 in mind it is on the big side and would look large beside the receiver. to give you an idea of what it would look like side by side here's a photo of my sony ps-x50 (similar to the ps-x40 in dimensions) beside the 7065:

if you want a more compact one your best bet would be a sony ps-x5, x6, or x7.

this is my sony str-7065 compared to my marantz 2270, which visually would be a better match to the table:

sonys are cheaper for some reason compared to some of their other vintage competitors (here in the united states anyway; i routinely see them fetch higher prices across the pond) and my buck-twenty 7065 dislodged by $550 (plus tolls and gas) marantz 2270 as my favorite amp once i acquired it. some also consider it one of the best looking receiver that sony ever designed.

your main issue would be to find one in time, as they can sometimes be hard to find.

Last edited:
sony receivers are actually quite compact compared to other brands. i have a sony str-7065 (which i got for $120) and from what i have read some of the lower powered receivers are even smaller. keep in mind that if you have the sony ps-x40 in mind it is on the big side and would look large beside the receiver. to give you an idea of what it would look like side by side here's a photo of my sony ps-x50 (similar to the ps-x40 in dimensions) beside the 7065:

if you want a more compact one your best bet would be a sony ps-x5, x6, or x7.

this is my sony str-7065 compared to my marantz 2270, which visually would be a better match to the table:

sonys are cheaper for some reason compared to some of their other vintage competitors (here in the united states anyway; i routinely see them fetch higher prices across the pond) and my buck-twenty 7065 dislodged by $550 (plus tolls and gas) marantz 2270 as my favorite amp once i acquired it. some also consider it one of the best looking receiver that sony ever designed. your main issue would be to find one in time, as they can sometimes be hard to find.

I've always lusted after a Marantz like that--My grandfather had one like that and it was his pride and joy. I have no idea what became of it. But the Sony is gorgeous in its own right.

I've always lusted after a Marantz like that--My grandfather had one like that and it was his pride and joy. I have no idea what became of it. But the Sony is gorgeous in its own right.

there's a reason for lusting after them. they're gorgeous visually and sonically. i was just lucky to find one in a very decent condition when i was searching for one.

Sony TA-2650 is smaller (less wide) than it's big brothers, and still powerful enough to drive all but the most inefficient speakers.

Lee.

Back
Top Bottom