1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Vintage Sony Reel to Reel Model TC-252D running fast

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by lexmarks567, Feb 12, 2018.

1. lexmarks567

lexmarks567 New Member

I found a vintage Sony reel to reel Model TC-252D in mint condition, Still sealed along with original goodies like empty reels, replacement RCA plugs etc. Being mint doesn't mean it works. It plays too fast in both speeds. This is the universal voltage model with the voltage selector and 50/60hz selector. I got it set to 117 volts 60hz and it plays too fast. I tried setting to 110 and even setting it to 50 hz in case the switch was marked wrong. Made no difference. I sprayed the speed selector switch and play/RWD/FF switch with contact cleaner but it did not help. I've read that it could have a 50hz pulley installed but I don't see any markings that say 50 or 60(another 252D I have says 60 on the pulley but it's a single voltage model). I took some pics of the pulley and idler wheels. Any ideas on the speed issue. The Run capacitor checks out OK as I did meter it. What is causing it to run fast. It's not the chipmunks fast but it's enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. cademan

cademan Addicted Member

Just curious, how do you have the tape threaded?

3. Cadillac Kid

Cadillac Kid Addicted Member

I suspect it is the wrong pulley. Was it set to 50hz when you got it?

spicer likes this.
  4. Tom B

Tom B AK Subscriber Subscriber

If not the pully, check to make sure the pinch roller is engaging

5. illinoisteve

illinoisteve Super Member

I have a TC 270 that was originally manufactured for 50Hz power. It has no voltage switch, so some rewiring was done to convert it for 60Hz power. While that seems to have been done correctly, the motor pulley was not replaced and it ran very fast when I got it. You could make great tapes to play only on it, but to for another machine to play.

The factory would have chosen from one of 4 or more different 50Hz pulleys when fine tuning the motor speed, each of the choices having a different number or letter code. When converting to 60Hz, not just any 60Hz motor pulley will work -- you have to have the one with the same code as the 50Hz one had or the speed will be off. After months of looking, I finally found a 60Hz pulley, but it's not the right one, The speed is still a little fast. Instrumentals sound great, but all of the vocals sound like they are sung by the artist's younger sibling! I don't know how much of this applies to the OP's machine, but maybe some of it does.

6. lexmarks567

lexmarks567 New Member

The box said 240 volts but it has the north American style plug. The voltage dial was set to 110 and the 50/60hz switch was at 60 I think. The Pulley has the letter E on it and the number 1. I Fixed the links for the photos to another photo hosting site.

7. illinoisteve

I can't remember what I used to know about the pulley labeling scheme. Perhaps someone else knows -- or it might be in the encyclopedic knowledge contained in all of the old AK threads! Diligent searching might pay off for you.

8. lexmarks567

lexmarks567 New Member

OK so somewhat solved. There is a sleeve on the capstan. I removed that but now its a tad slow. is there another sleeve that's supposed to go on it? The capacitor had checked out OK.

9. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

Put the sleeve back on and get a small fine file,(A diamond grit fingernail file works nicely) and with the motor ON, set the file on it and take a smidgen off. Test the speed on something that you know. Repeat until it sounds right. That's about the only thing I can think of to do other than try to find a correct spindle. I turned down a 50Hz spindle on a Dual Turntable (Previous owner lost the 60Hz spindle.) It was running about 2-1/2 to 3rpm fast IIRC. I got it down so that it was about 33-1/2 Close enough as I didn't want to take too much off.

10. illinoisteve

I don't know for certain that the sleeve you are talking about is something that would get swapped with a different size to correct speed in you particular model. I only know that no capstan sleeve is involved in the process on the TC-270.

It might be better to shave down the 50Hz motor pulley to get the speed right. You could practice using the step used for 1 7/8 ips, which you probably would only use for low-fi voice recording. If you get that one right, then try the next step.

* * * * * BUT MAYBE * * * * * you should find a users manual and a service manual for your model first. There could be a free one (or not that expensive one) available online. What if your model has a trimmer pot or something like that, which you haven't noticed, that only needs to be adjusted???? You don't want to discover something like that AFTER damaging some part. I feel really dumb when I let things like that happen to me. And I get very tired of giving myself a dope-slap when it happens a few times in a row. ;)

dimanag likes this.
  11. audiojones

audiojones Jonesin' for audio Subscriber

Welp, I was about to chime in and say I’ve never heard of any such thing as a TC-252D with a capstan sleeve but the owners manual clearly states that it comes in two versions, one set for local line current (which is apparently the only type I’ve ever owned or worked on) and one that’s international (which I guess is what you have). Apparently the international one has a capstan sleeve to compensate for the line frequency change, so I’m glad I didn’t say anything before looking at the manual on hifiengine. That’s a new one on me, I didn’t think Sony did that on these machines!

F09A35DF-D3EA-4193-B861-297BF62500C3.png
    The slow speed might be caused by your idler wheel slipping now that the capstan sleeve is correct (assuming that it’s now correctly set for 60hz.)

illinoisteve likes this.

12. illinoisteve

The drive edge of the idler wheel might be a bit glazed.

Belts might be stretched enough to slip a little. On my TC-270 belt replacement is pretty easy.

I wonder if the reel brakes need adjustment? The supply reel brake could be dragging slightly.

Perhaps the motor bearings need a drop of oil.