Vintage Sony Turntables

Don't forget the PS-X75 http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PS-X75.html and PS-X700 http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PS-X700.html , which were probably the best of the Biotracer pivoting tonearm models.

I own a PS-X700. It's not a very common Sony TT . In fact outside of one other AK member, I haven't come across one although I'm sure they are out there. The only thing harder to find than the table itself is the SH-156 headshell. Unless you want to pay the $180 ransom that is being asked by the what seems like the only seller who has one for sale. The headshell sold with and wiithout a finger lift. the 800 didnt' need it . The 700 may have had but I can't verify it for sure. some photos show the liift, some don't - but it's a nice table.

as noted on vintage knob, it's the last incarnation of the PS-X75 and one of the last biotracer units that Sony made.

I own a PS-X700. It's not a very common Sony TT . In fact outside of one other AK member, I haven't come across one although I'm sure they are out there.

Great turntable, but it's very rare.:thumbsup:

Strangely, a lot of lists of Sony turntable models from the time just don't mention it, including the American Audio magazine October directories of 1981 and 1982, the Australian Stereo Buyer's Guide - Turntables (1982), and the German 1982 Sony turntable list. So that's probably why not many sold. It may have been in short supply, or sold only to special order.:dunno:

as noted on vintage knob, it's the last incarnation of the PS-X75 and one of the last biotracer units that Sony made.

Yes - there was a fourth generation of Biotracers which came out in 1983, but there were only two models that I'm aware of – the linear-tracking PS-X555ES, which was sold until 1992, and the little-known PS-FL77 http://www.vinylengine.com/library/sony/ps-fl77.shtml .

The PL-FL77 was a non-quartz direct drive linear tracker Biotracer which had a motorised slide-out drawer for the turntable (no lift-up dust cover). Pioneer also sold a turntable with a sliding drawer, the PL-88F. The only real advantage of the drawer turntables was that you could stack them underneath other equipment, or in a shelf with very little height above it.:)

Interesting thread. I've got an old Sony STR-1090 receiver that I would love to pair with a nice Sony turntable. You guys are making me consider trading one of my Technics SL-MA1 units for a Sony.

The PS-B80 is one that I'd never heard of before today. Looks like an X75 with the cosmetics of the earlier X50/X70 brothers.

The only real Achilles Heel of the big Sony DDs is the use of VD series varistors in the motor drive amplifiers of some units. They're easy to replace with series 1N4148 diodes, though.

Any cartridge suggestions for a Sony PS-X800? It has a Adcom XC LT on there now, which I am impressed with.....even ehne used with unknown age. But those are long gone. The shape of the Adcom gave more style to the TT.

Any reasonably price MC cartridge?

Really enjoying this thread. I have a STR 7065 receiver that I absolutlulry love and currently pair that with an AR XA that I'll never get rid of but I'd sure like to pair the 7065 with a nice Sony TT. I've seen many for sale but most have not caught my eye aesthetically. The models in this post look amazing. It looks like Sony may have done a few belt driven models. Can anyone reccomend one of those? Not replacing the XA but would love to add a Sony to the stable.

Happy New Year!

I not a huge fan of heavy electronic populations on turntables so avoid machines like biotracer with big IC count or lot of electronic function just because we can!
Had one owner like new Denon DP-62L once tonearm NEVER behave was and is beautiful piece but pain so I sold mine
Always manual machnes for me gave all the automatics accumulate through life to my children
That said PS-X60 come in to my life I over haul complete machine and install Denon DL-103 just this month and I am very happy
VERY happy! ; - )
May be one of best sounding machines I ever own son been home for Christmas so not a great deal of playing Lp yet on my system but so far beautiful
JJ

Sony made quite a number of great turntables and I owned a few of them. I owned a PS-X7 which Sony replaced with a PS-X70 after they destroyed my PS-X7 when it was sent in for a repair. Both were great tables in their own ways.Traded the PS-X70 for a PS-2251 which had an Infinity Black Widow arm. Loved the PS-2251 and wished I still had it. Currently use a PS-X6 and PS-X60 which are both great tables. Again, Sony made a lot of good stuff in the day...

he Sony PS-X600 opened my eyes as to how enjoyable spinning records could be after a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong layoff .

I have the PS-X500 which is the semi-auto version of the 600 and love it, something I would never sell.

PS-2251 which had an Infinity Black Widow arm. Loved the PS-2251 and wished I still had it.

Yes the non suspended version PS-2250 drive only, and the PS-2251 table with plinth and arm were great tables.

These were advertised as Sony's First DD table, I have a test report comparing it against the first Technics SP-10 MKI and
besting it.

Last edited:
I found a PS-X800 for 2200 EU on eBay so I can rule that one out...lol they are nice though!

For that money I'd go full out on a PS-8750. The last one I saw on ebay cost just over less than that. They actually probably cost the same amount of money but the 8750 I believe is much rarer.

My Sony TT's. The X55 is currently in storage. The X600 and X800 get used regularly..

X55:

IMG_1246.jpg

X600:
IMG_1247.jpg

X800:
IMG_1245.jpg

I had very simple rim drive Sony buy it new when I was 18
Wish I could remember model would LOVE to have back!
Was dark dark grey or black metal plinth with wood base
Sound was very beautiful part of system I bought at local store package deal with BSR automatic
I changed for Sony received lecture about have to work your way up this store had the famous 1960s 1970s payment plan
Just miss it since around 1976 or 1977 : - (
JJ

Back
Top Bottom