Vintage Sony Turntables

My first real turntable (beyond all in one BSR) was a Sony PST3 bought in about 1977. At the time, I didn't know much. It was an ok table from their introductory line. In retrospect, I wish I had invested a bit more for a PSX5 or something from their next line up. If I had, I would probably still be using it.

When all is said and done, the Sony PS-LX2 https://www.vinylengine.com/library/sony/ps-lx2.shtml that my dad bought new way back when has been the most consistently trouble-free TT i have ever had. It has been used and abused almost nonstop since the early 80s by my dad, me, my kids and is now getting daily use again as a backup thrown into the game until i get some other things sorted. It has been serviced exactly once in all that time (though I have replaced the hinges, dustcover, tonearm rest and many styluses) and it acts like it is brand new. Super quiet, fully automatic and sounds great.

At one point I picked up the belt drive version of the same table, the name escapes me, but it was sort of the opposite.

I have a 512 Linear and X50 heavyweight. Both are incredible at their tasks. The linear is smooth and quiet. Plays even a warped disc very well. The PS-X50 is my main player. 25 pounds of sheer enjoyment. You can adjust the lifter, arm rest and tone arm in a matter of seconds. the PUA 7 arm is beautiful. A good cart and you're in heaven. I have a Shure V15 type III.

Besides having totl turntables, Sony also provided top cartridges like the xl88(d) or the xl55(pro) cartridges and these could be perfectly paired with their top pre amps like the ta-e88 or ta-e900. The head amp for the mc cartridges was also sold separately in their ha-50 and was also used in the ps-x9 broadcasting turntable.

I now have a system running like the Sony engineers designed it:
A restored Ps-b80 turntable with a xl55pro cartridge
Into a restored ta-e88 preamp and a ta-n7b Vfet power amp
Speakers are not yet Sony, but Yamaha ns2000.

I have recently put my Sony PS-X7 back in service with a Denon DL-110 cartridge. Even before the end of the break in period for the Denon I am very pleased with the overall performance of the combo. Most of my LPs are jazz and I am very pleasantly surprised with the with the overall sound and imaging of the better pressings, especially the master recordings. I am also very impressed with the isolation and lack of noise and feedback from the Sony. This is especially impressive due to the far from optimal location, as the TT resides on top of my pre-amplifier in a rickety old Ikea entertainment center. This winter's project is building an in-wall shelving system for all my audio gear and getting the TV mounted on the wall. If anyone has a tip for mounting a shelf for the TT within this installation, I am all ears! I was thinking about an industrial quality shelf on rollers.

Loving mine. Ain't never gonna give it up.

View attachment 845133
Hi , I just picked one up for $50 it has a shure V15 type III cart. unfortunately the needle is broken.
She was asking $100.00 it spins & locks on speed.
The only thing missing is the tonearm clamp.
I'm gonna give it a good cleaning while waiting for needle replacement.
Seems like a decent deal.
I'll be hooking it to my Arcam AVP700 and P1000 Amp
Def Tech BP2002 speakers

Attachments

• thumbnail_20180102_112750.jpg
    thumbnail_20180102_112750.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 105
  • 20180102_112727.jpg
    20180102_112727.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 20180102_110041.jpg
    20180102_110041.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 94
There are some Sony tonearm clamps on eBay right now ... not sure if one could be adapted for use with the X65.

Hi , I just picked one up for $50 it has a shure V15 type III cart. unfortunately the needle is broken.
She was asking $100.00 it spins & locks on speed.
The only thing missing is the tonearm clamp.
I'm gonna give it a good cleaning while waiting for needle replacement.
Seems like a decent deal.
I'll be hooking it to my Arcam AVP700 and P1000 Amp
Def Tech BP2002 speakers

I got mine for 100 because the seller thought it wasn't working. Nobody else bid on it. It spun fine when I got it. I almost jumped for joy.

She's a beaut, ain't she?

I've got. X600, it came with a XL88 MC cart, and last Dec bought a I bought an AKAI 2025 receiver but it doesnt have MC phono stage to try it out so stuck a AT95e on the arm to get me started, the lot cost me under £300 and think it sounds fantastic.
Does anyone know whether I could get the XL88 looked at as when I tried it a few weeks back it sounded terrible

I am going to hop on this thread since it's pretty much the subject I want to ask about.

After giving up on my Yamaha PX-2 ever being a reliable turntable again (seems like every other year it craps out and this last time my tech told me forget about it) I have resigned myself to just buying a different spinner.

Two that are available and I really like the prospect of are the Sony PS-x2 and the Sony PS-x6. I like the mechanical buttons and the aesthetic of the PS-x2 far more than the PS-x6. The 2 is also decently cheaper but both are from a reputable seller who deals only in refurbishing vintage turntables and has a long, flawless track record.

I am ready to buy but I was hoping the good folk here could maybe chime in as to why one might go PS-x6 and am I making a poor cartridge match with my plans to move my Denon 103r onto the PS-x2/PS-x6.

Thanks for the input. Next Iook up the sticky for mounting my cart to it. Any tips would be appreciated but it's probably going to be weeks before it arrives and I actually have to worry about it.

Yes the non suspended version PS-2250 drive only, and the PS-2251 table with plinth and arm were great tables.

These were advertised as Sony's First DD table, I have a test report comparing it against the first Technics SP-10 MKI and
besting it.

Can I get a copy of that report? I'm curious about it. :)

Also curious about it and remember that the Sonys ( PSD-2250/2251) came out about the same time as the SP-10Mk1 the first DDs.

I am curious as to whether or not my 8.5 gram Denon 103r is a little heavy for the tonearm... Any thoughts on a nice cartridge match? I am willing to spend up to/about $500

"I have the test report" should have added somewhere to that. Found the original initial report and have yet to
come across the 2nd where the SP10 MK1 was compared. When I find it I will scan it and post.

For anyone who is interested there were pic's of the inside construction of the motor of a 2250 floating around by
professor Blitz? They were impressive to say the least!

I ended up with a TTS-2250 that was sold as a drive only multi voltage no plinth or arm with the template to
cut out your own plinth. The original owner dropped it into a mid-century teak cabinet shut the lid where
it has sat, I bought the table and the teak cabinet and it has never been removed since originally purchased.

The 2250 and 2251 followed Sonys last professional belt drive TTS-3000 with PAU-286 tonearm from the mid to late 1960s. The TTS-3000 are highly sought after for their motors, light years beyond the cheap clock motors found in many of todays belt drive tables. Every indication is that the 2250/2251 were built like a early 90s first generation Lexus SL-400.

Back
Top Bottom