Vintage Speaker spring terminals? Replace with modern binding posts?

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by efzauner, Nov 12, 2017.

1. efzauner

efzauner New Member

I have an SA9500 (among others!)
    The old style push/spring type speaker terminals seem rather... less that positive.

Has any one tried to replace these with more modern binding posts?

2. larryderouin

larryderouin Do I get Food, Med's, or more gear this Month? Subscriber

The old spring type actually hold well if you give a slight tug on the wire one you release the clip. The metal actually is at an angle to the wire and digs in when the wire is tugged slightly. Some guys like them, some guys will put binding posts on them. Like anything else in audio, there are at least two camps with diametrically opposed views. I'm firmly in the "It works, leave it alone unless it's broke" camp on this one.

YEAH, there are plenty of posts here , Sansui forum, S.S. Forum, Tube Forum, and more than a couple of the brand specific forums touting binding posts along with how they did it. Anyway, You'll need to fabricate a new backing plate to take the binding posts, and then mount it to the chassis back plate.

restorer-john likes this.
  3. restorer-john

restorer-john Super Member

"more modern binding posts" are actually not the least bit modern. Binding posts are so old, I don't actually know when they were invented- probably well over 100 years ago.

The spring connections used in the 1970s were often brilliant designs, with considerable force being applied to the copper ensuring superb, long term contact.

The issue was the 1980s and big fat speaker cables. Clever designs continued until cables got so thick, spades had to used to terminate them and back came the good old binding post.

I love the conveience of a 4mm banana plug, but I've always had a lot of test gear, so it's logical to me. As larry above said, many of the 'old skool' spring terminals are excellent if you work with them. Let the spring terminal spring outwards to grip the wire, tug it a little after it has sprung and don't try to stuff silly thickness cable into them.

I've replaced the odd amplifier terminals where they were an absolutely putrid design, damaged or simply missing plastic caps (they hurt your fingers). I've also replaced JBLs hideous spring terminals on L100s for binding posts, but on the whole, I leave well alone, especially on upper range, collectible gear.

4. robgmn

robgmn Super Member

Not on a speaker, but I did it on an amplifier when I gutted it and filled the space with some IcePower modules.
    The closest on a speaker was on a Nova8B when some extra panel-mount binding posts I had on hand exactly matched the machine-screw head that Tandy had used as the wire terminal.
    Took out the screw and threaded the post right in its place.

[​IMG]

5. efzauner

efzauner New Member

Good feedback... I agree the push/spring type connectors work well with 16-18 gauge wire with thin strands. 70s stuff!
    Less so with 14 or 12 gauge with thicker strands. They don't seem to grasp well. Pull out easily.