Vintage speakers that have a lot of bass?

Another poster asked about your budget, and your idea of vintage. It might also be helpful if you mentioned the size you are looking for? What is your idea of a large speaker?

If you have the room and the coin You could get a set of these. That is if you are lucky and have a strong back.

PYKnWM7.jpg

My Rectilinear Low Boy IIIs w/ that giant Jensen driver goes very low and even think it bests my '87 Polk SDA 2Bs carrying a passive radiator. With saying that the Low BoysIMG_4418[1].jpg IMG_4419[1].jpg are very boxy and have a huge footprint. I've always thought most JBLs like the Century 100s have amazing and powerful bass, but alas never owned a set so only here say.

Just a word from an old fart here. You say you have a subwoofer that satisfied your bass cravings in your modern system.

Be aware that a sub woofer provides solid bass well below where full range speakers (and that includes regular woofers as well) fall off so, if you're expecting that depth and strength from a vintage system, you might be disappointed,

I think the op should invest in a pair of quality subwoofers and connect them thru the speaker wire "high" inputs! Find a pair of vintage speakers that sound amazing all around and tweak the subs settings for optimum playback! Decent subs and a quality pair of bookshelves can sound like a million bucks!
But without subs in the mix, I had a pair of Realistic Mach 5000 that kicked out the bass using a 15" woofer....

Being of the younger generation, I like a lot of bass, but I also adore old vintage gear. Are there any vintage floor speakers that can provide a lot of bass? I have a modern system and as we all know, we have the subwoofer to handle that, but the old receivers do not, like the SA-400 and the SX-1050 I have. I know someone out here has some knowledge of speakers that can handle the bass Im looking for. I appreciate it if someone can give me some models to look for in the wild and or ebay or even here on the BT...

Thanks all!

You say the SX-1050 does not have a lot of bass. If that is true, your SX-1050 needs some serious repairs (10Hz-50kHz with serious headroom). Second to the 1250 it is probably the best vintage Pioneer in headroom and ability to drive hungry speakers.

So in addition to the last two postings: What do you consider "a lot of bass"? Is it just a lot of thump like you get from car-audio? That's probably going to be a subwoofer, although high-quality isn't necessary there just a high power HT sub or sub pair.

If you want a lot of bass, there are a lot of speakers that will produce a lot of bass, some of the old Cerwin-Vega! speakers were famous for putting out a lot of party bass, loud and strong. Many vintage JBLs, Pioneer, others that have been mentioned here also.

If you want a lot of LF bass (below ~35Hz or so), and especially accurate musical bass, this is a different question. There are few vintage speakers that were designed to produce these frequencies, and even fewer that could do it accurately (and therefore are not cheap). For this I suggest a proper musical sub, with a crossover to high-pass your mains and low-pass the sub(s) so that you're not compounding nor cancelling the low-frequencies.

Also note that low-frequencies do not require large woofers. It can require high-excursion woofers, and typically larger boxes if ported, but large woofers have nothing to do with frequency (but do have something to do with the amount of air moved and therefore how much room they will fill).

So, is it lots of party bass (just buy some big CVs and turn up the bass) or accurate musical bass? Tchaikovsky or Deadmau5?

Last edited:
If you have the room and the coin You could get a set of these. That is if you are lucky and have a strong back.

With statements like that, it's always good to specify what "these" are. I saw the picture, but don't recognize them, so I'm no better off than before.....

See reply
Hey,
I know waht youre saying, I think the 1050 needs a recap or maybe the tone controls are dirty? The offset was great at around 2.0 and say 8.0 mV. I left it there for over an hour and it maintained those numbers. So again, I know the offset isnt the end all be all, but at least it seems closely balanced... Im going to try and clean the pots and switches and then see what it gets me. I plan on getting it repaired/recapped anyway.

Bass wise, I like to listen to everything from EDM to classical, Now the speakers dont have to rumble, but id like to feel the bass. If that makes sense. The Model Fives I have here arent bad at all, but maybe Im just looking for a larger speaker ( not too much larger ) that can give more loudness and bass?

Hey,
I know waht youre saying, I think the 1050 needs a recap or maybe the tone controls are dirty? The offset was great at around 2.0 and say 8.0 mV. I left it there for over an hour and it maintained those numbers. So again, I know the offset isnt the end all be all, but at least it seems closely balanced... Im going to try and clean the pots and switches and then see what it gets me. I plan on getting it repaired/recapped anyway.

Bass wise, I like to listen to everything from EDM to classical, Now the speakers dont have to rumble, but id like to feel the bass. If that makes sense. The Model Fives I have here arent bad at all, but maybe Im just looking for a larger speaker ( not too much larger ) that can give more loudness and bass?

If your tone controls do not increase/decrease the bass and treble, or crackle a lot when they do, they're dirty. Otherwise they're fine. Turn the tone switch off, then you're bypassing the entire tone board.

As far as "recap", if you feel that the receiver needs to be "recapped" or even properly restored, I suggest doing this first and then decide on what you need in speakers.

It sounds like you're just looking for that thump to enhance your music. If this is correct then add a decent powered sub and adjust to taste.

If your tone controls do not increase/decrease the bass and treble, or crackle a lot when they do, they're dirty. Otherwise they're fine. Turn the tone switch off, then you're bypassing the entire tone board.

As far as "recap", if you feel that the receiver needs to be "recapped" or even properly restored, I suggest doing this first and then decide on what you need in speakers.

It sounds like you're just looking for that thump to enhance your music. If this is correct then add a decent powered sub and adjust to taste.
The volume did crack some, I cant remember the other tone controls... Wouldnt a recap give me a better sound too? Could the caps be bad and causing a muddy or muffled sound?

Back
Top Bottom