Vintage speakers that have a lot of bass?

I don't know about a lot of these speakers listed, but the JBL 4311 / L100 have a STEEP dropoff below around 55-60Hz. Typical of vintage speakers, some can have the bass boosted/eq'ed with a good equalizer, others (some horn designs) simply can't produce the LF at all, ... nothing to boost.

I picked up a set of Cerwin Vega VS-120s at a garage sale for 75$. Had to refoam the woofers. Great bass but they sounded dull otherwise. I replaced the tweeter and mid ranges with a set I harvested out of a set of Yamaha NS A600 speakers. Now they kick ass. Total investment, about $120. You will have to enlarge the holes for the tweeters.

Last edited:
My son, who is @half as old as I am now, thought I'd need a sub for my home theater system. I'd refoamed my Column II's and he hadn't heard them. Once he did, he said I was right, I didn't need a sub at all. YMMV.

Electro-Voice Interface D with matching EQ. I currently own three of the other speakers that have been mentioned in this thread, but none of them come close to producing the bass that the Interface Ds do.

Of all the speakers I have owned over the years, the Interface Ds come closest to recreating a live performance. Kick drums sound, and feel, like kick drums.

In addition to playing louder and deeper than any other speakers I have ever owned (including subwoofers), the Interface Ds are also the best sounding speakers I have ever owned at any listening level. These speakers were way ahead of their time when they came out in the late 1970s and are the one pair of speakers I will always regret selling. Nothing I've owned before, or since, have played as loud, played as low, or sounded as good.

At 97dB efficiency, you don't need a ton of power to drive them. They are favorites of tube lovers and sounded great when I was driving them with a little Sherwood S-7100A (early 1970s solid state receiver rated at 14 WPC), but if you have more power, they can certainly take advantage of it.

They are capable of handling up to 500W, but if you have anything close to that, be careful, be VERY careful:

EV_Interface_D_Warning.jpg

They weren't kidding! You've been warned...

With statements like that, it's always good to specify what "these" are. I saw the picture, but don't recognize them, so I'm no better off than before.....

Those are Acoustic Research AR-9's. 130 lbs of goodness. Dual 12" side mounted woofers, an 8" lower midrange driver, a 1.5" upper dome mid, and a 3/4" tweeter. Very neutral. A flatter, less rolled off balance, compared to the classic AR-3/3a's. At the time, a state of the art speaker. Even now, not too shabby!

Thanks Wan for setting the record straight. I will try to be more complete with my future post.

I owned EV Interface D's for quite a few yrs,They had decent bass but ive heard better includeing what ive mentioned in the thread,the floor coupleing of the 12inch woofer does help deepen bass but i prefer a foreward faceing 15 inch woofer with large magnet over these 12 inchers.
overall good speakers tho ,even with tube amp!

Attachments

• DSCF1120 (1).JPG
    DSCF1120 (1).JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 76
I agree with the CV D-9's or pretty much any 12-15" Cerwin Vega for that matter not the best sounding but the bass was there. Great for heavy metal music.

Some speakers I have that produce decent bass:

Allison One, Allison Two and Allison CD-8.

Electrovoice Interface C , Infinity Qb,

IMF TLS-80 , Fried C2/O2.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this. But speakers will good bass ability usually require very specific placement to get their bass performance out. This is the benefit of subwoofers, much easier to place.

I owned EV Interface D's for quite a few yrs,They had decent bass but ive heard better includeing what ive mentioned in the thread,the floor coupleing of the 12inch woofer does help deepen bass but i prefer a foreward faceing 15 inch woofer with large magnet over these 12 inchers.
overall good speakers tho ,even with tube amp!

Just curious, did you have the matching dedicated EQ for your Interface D's? I don't see one in your photo.

Back
Top Bottom