vintage Tannoy identification help please

GlenGC

hi all
i've been unable to identify these..
they're big heavy , grilles don't come off and have no model number
i think they're 1970-75 era..

Those don't look like any Tannoy cabinets I've ever seen but given the level pots there must be something interesting inside! Look carefully at the corners, I think I may see some screw heads hiding in there.

The only old Tannoy cabs I know of with lattice grills are Stuarts and Windsors, those are neither. Repurposed cabinets maybe?

they're at a friends place, i will head there tomorrow and get better pics and dismantle to see inside if i can.

Looks like Mallorcan (12 inch). They also made a fretwork grilled 10 inch, but don't recall the name. Either would be great find....

pictures of Mallorcans from the net.I think they are wider, so probably a ten inch, but same styling. Also, no frame in grill.
M_001.jpg
1202265-vintage-tannoy-mallorcanrare.jpg
MALLORCAN_000.jpg

just google image searched and it suggested trash .
on another note i have some rare speakers with that same piece at the bottom .they arent tannoy . all i remember is they were built in Scotland

Back then (the 70's) in the US, and probably other places as well, I believe the cabinets and grills were locally made (in the US I believe it was Canada) which would account for variations.

ok guys i was finally able to visit my mate and inspect these further..

the front mesh comes off, but there is fabric behind it and it's fixed... oddly there are no screws at the back of the cabinet, but the woofer is screwed from the inside.. someone just glued the back on instead of screwing.. so it is practically impossible to open them up.
i think these are some sort of DIY cabinets with proper tannoy drivers, cabinet material is chipwood with wood veneer, and the workmanship is not bad but isn't excellent
there is a rectangular port opening at the bottom from there i was able to see the woofer inside that is a tannoy 12 inch concentric gold monitor woofer (mate struck the gold there literally) , and there is a beefy beige colour crossover harness at the back side of it which again is original tannoy...
we plugged them up and had a listen.. this was outside and with no ideal listening conditions thru an average amp with shitty cd player.. i must say i understand now why these drivers are sought after..

Last edited:
i am posting some pictures of the cabinets just in case these are built by a company and DIY and someone might be able to recognise them

Back
Top Bottom