Vintage TT, what should I get to set it up?

rvc1

I recently relocated and the only piece of stereo equipment I brought with me was my turntable (Bang & Olufsen Beogram RX2). I got rid of everything else with plans to purchase a new setup. So after finally fixing said TT, I'm ready to set it up.

I'm looking for something lighter and more versatile (not vintage). Definitely something with either wifi or bluetooth. Not looking to break the bank and doesn't have to be top of the line, just something simple and solid that I can connect my TT to, also play MP3s through, wireless speakers. Is there a system you would recommend (Sonos?) or should I research a receiver and add speakers to it? Are there other things to consider I may not think of to start with?

This category seems endless and I'd love some direction on what to consider and look into. Thanks!

Some background might help get more usefull recommendations. What types of music will you playand how loud. How large a room and its Accoustics, bright to dead. What speakers you have heard that you like or don't. What type of listening will you do? Critical listening, background, loud parties? Budget range? Break the bank can mean $300 or $30,000, depending. Think you'll upgrade after or stick after purchase.
Want all in one or separates, easier to upgrade? Separate phono pre or dac?

Class D amps are usually lighter, your criteria. Or, hybrid class D. Available for $50 to $5k+

Last edited:
Thanks for the replay OG8,

I'll be doing both casual background listening as well as some more specific album listening (not sure if that's critical or not, prob not). I won't be limiting it to just records, I'd like to switch between digital and LPs. I'd say my level of necessary quality has gone down in years, I've been listening to music through my iTunes and a JBL Flip 4 and it's ding the job just fine for me. However I'd like to listen in stereo, maybe have speakers in multiple rooms, etc. Actually, two rooms would work, so 4 speakers to start. As for music, well I have a record collection from over the years that ranges from Velvets to my recent purchase of Father John Misty. So old rock and indie with the occasional old hardcore/punk 7" thrown in for fun. I understand I'm not at the audiophile level that most are here, in terms of the system I'm looking for. Also, in general, I listen to MP3s more than LPs.

That said, since looking online to try and figure this out, I was thinking to get a preamp (like a Rolls VP29...?) and connect to a wifi speaker system. Which one I don't know. The two contenders I've come across that seem to get great reviews are Sonos and the Google Chromecast Audio. Sonos seems much more expensive. With Google I'd have to purchase wifi speakers al la carte. I haven't gotten that far yet, to price out a specific speakers...they have a few options, their minis are very cheap but idk how they'll sound. But would I regret cutting cost and not going for the Sonos (and which one(s))? The other option is to get a good amp with wifi and get nicer speakers, but that might be more than I need. And I'm fine with an all in one system if it suits me.

As for budget, I mean, I would spend a little more if it was very well worth it in terms of features and versatility and upgradability. The range would be, $300 on the low end, $600 on the high end. Maybe a bit more if it was warranted.

Sorry if I'm making this harder than it needs to be, my LP stereo was a basic old setup with my MP3 listening limited to a single wifi speaker for a long time. I just purchased a house and want to make a smart choice about how to move forward (and into the 21st century!!!).

That's a tight budget. Especially for music in two rooms. I know zero about wifi speakers or Sonos. So will leave to others to comment in your thread. I'm still in the world of two channel.
Good luck in your quest.

Edit: Agree with Drugolf. Your budget likely won't go far on new gear that sounds decent. Your ears are the last judge on whats good enough.

Last edited:
Yeah, that kind of coin probably wont get you into what you want. Look into Bluesound. Step up from Sonos. Something you could build upon over time. Probably beyond your budget though, but that's what this stuff costs.
This is an example of a challenge to the current audio industry where folks coming back to, or for the first time wanting a stereo and a way play their music beyond headphones believe the technology is there to do what rvc1 wants to do. Bluetooth speakers have provided a real false sense of having a stereo. I guess the tech is there but there is a big gap between crappy stuff that can do it, and legit gear and speakers that will truly sound good. Remote powered good speakers are costly.

Most sound for your buck. Ma 6200 Mac integrated amp,with two Klipsch Cornwalls if you have the space, Other wise Chorus II or Forte II. Oppo CD/DVD player . The DAC you are on your own. But the better they are the happier you will be. I use the one in my HT processor. I would pick a Thorens TD-125 with a SME arm. Though I liked the B&O 4000 and 8000 series tables, keeping them running is an exercise in frustration.

Most sound for your buck. Ma 6200 Mac integrated amp,with two Klipsch Cornwalls if you have the space, Other wise Chorus II or Forte II. Oppo CD/DVD player . The DAC you are on your own. But the better they are the happier you will be. I use the one in my HT processor. I would pick a Thorens TD-125 with a SME arm. Though I liked the B&O 4000 and 8000 series tables, keeping them running is an exercise in frustration.

The fine print is OPs budget range is $300 to $600.

I have 2 stereos, the main one with the TT and one setup with an amp into the TV.

My main system is my music one and runs the TT as I mentioned but I also have the SONOS Connect on it too for streaming (you can also stream the TT on other Sonos players but with a slight delay). I love the app so much with Sonos that I think the UI is worth it alone. Cannot comment on sound quality vs anything else but on my Kenwood KA-8100 and KEF LS50’s it sounds incredible!

On the TV system I have Chromecast which I use to also stream music via the TV and it also works very well but I will be adding a Sonos Connect to that system too at some point so we can have music perfectly synced.

My vote: if you have your own amps/speakers and you can afford it. The Sonos Connnect is brilliant and very easy to use. As a side note their customer service is incredible!!!

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Thanks neevo, I actually did purchase a Sonos Connect this weekend as well as two Play:1s. So I have my TT, the Connect and one of the Plays in the living room and the other Play in my office. For now I'm going to connect my TT with an old preamp I have however I'll be upgrading that asap, once I consider a few things. I'm thinking I may actually get a receiver to run things through. For one I want to run more than just one thing (like my TV) through the setup (Connect only has one in). The other reason is that if I'm going to purchase a preamp for the TT anyway, why not put that towards a receiver that has a phono input/amp anyway, no?

So that's my next thing to look into, a receiver that will work for my needs.

Phono input amp/receiver would be good because then you could use the tape out as the input for the Sonos Connect if you have more than 1 source.

If only TT and Sonos don’t bother as you already have that covered with the phono preamp.

I have a non Sonos speaker setups with the TT and TV hence the need for amps. Do have a play 1 though which is handy to move around the house and use in the garage when I’m working.

Congrats on finding your solution. When your ready to get a receiver, AK members can give you recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom