Vintage Tubes

Thatch_Ear

Addicted Member
While I like the tube forum there is very little going on about Dyna ST-70s, Fisher gear, Eico etc. A forum aimed at tweaks and keeping the Vintage Tube Gear running might be in line. Also the sticky in the Vintage forum should just state that the forum is focused on 1975 to 1980 SS gear.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Thatch_Ear
While I like the tube forum there is very little going on about Dyna ST-70s, Fisher gear, Eico etc. A forum aimed at tweaks and keeping the Vintage Tube Gear running might be in line. Also the sticky in the Vintage forum should just state that the forum is focused on 1975 to 1980 SS gear.

I would request the permission to revise and extend my remarks.

Hi Thatch. I would love to see talk about any/all tube equipment in the regular tube forum. If little is going on in the tube forum regarding vintage stuff...or tweaks, I would say...make a post. Us tube guys are not partial to tubed equipment of new or old...most tubed guys are interested in all tubed components. I feel by splitting a group up you will make both weaker. When a forum is split it should be done because there is too much traffic...and a split would be needed to keep the "parent" forum running smooth...as well as aenough traffic to sustain the "sub-forum" running smooth as well.

I urge my colleagues on all sides of the aisle to keep the tube section in tact as is...for the enjoyment of all.

Thank you...and I reserve the balance of my time ;)

I would like to see more participation by owners and users of vintage tube gear than is going on. I certainly am not proposing a splitting of ranks but would like to point out that there seem to be a number of tube lovers that do not participate in the forum because their gear does not really have a whole lot in common with SETs that have $100/pair binding posts and use cables that cost more than their amp. What I am proposing is a forum for the great tube gear of yesterday as a sister forum to what we already have. I think Mike should run it too. This is a suggestion made only with the purpose of more participation in mind.

Thatch,

I think older tube stuff could well fit into the tube forum or vintage, vintage is MAINLY, (but not EXCLUSIVELY) '70s SS gear.

I think there isn't enough traffic to support a "Vintage Tube" forum - it would only make a the tube forum weaker... to me forums are fun if there's new posts all the time coming up.

Chris

Last edited:
Chris,
When I plainly stated that in My opinion that My fisher tube reciever sounded better than My marantz ss reciever did the Vintage guys went crazy. It is not a tube friendly crowd there. I can understand wanting explanations over my first post when I thought vintage meant more than a 5 year window of TOTL SS gear. But when I say My opinion about gear that belongs to me then it should be taken as that. I am scared to say tube there. The Vintage guys do not care about vintage gear that falls outside their parameters and as you can tell by the sticky ones opinions about what sounds better are not welcome even when it is clearly stated as an opinion about gear owned and operated by the opinion maker.
David

David

It has been expressed to me by at least one of the mods that "if you ever want to see a fully functioning non-vintage side to this site, then you need to cease calling it a vintage forum". Therefore some members do appreciate diversity and encourage non-vintage chat. That said, as you mention about the "posting rules" on the Vintage Forum and the past events, there are others who do not appreciate such talk, especially on Vintage, or would perfer it to be limited to the Tube Forum which appears to have some "Hi-End" overtones attached to it by some of our readership.

I agree with you, that respecting the wishes of the core membership and the posted guidelines, I'm a bit gun shy outside of the Tube Forum, especially on the Vintage Forum. IOW, I do not post whatever I wish, instead I review the contents for anything that may be interpreted as offensive. This of course is not foolproof as witnessed by the reaction of one (1) "member" but I do not "try to provoke" a response either. The climate of AK may evolve as members leave and new ones replace them, so we should not look at the present situation in a rigid POV instead encourage acceptance while respecting the wishes of the majority.

About the sub-forum idea. I agree with the others, that MOST people I know enjoy, if not focus, any "tube talk". We love our tubes; vintage, new, hi-end, budget, PP, SET. And that splintering the pot would lessen the traffic and those exchanges we presently enjoy. That said, I see where you are coming from that some people may feel "left out" and I admit that My focus, therefore the Forums focus, is on current production tube components and vintage tubes. Yet, there are a number of posts that fullfill your requirements already, and as Fish suggested, if you want more specific discussion encourage that by posting yourself. That's a good beginning, and a strategy I often use. And to clarify your point, my DIY speaker cables cost me $64 for a 10' pair, and the Cardas copper binding posts (two pair) were $49.

MikE

Last edited:
Mike,
I get it all. And as it was a suggestion I feel like I have had my say. I will put forth that this forum is the most democratic for one that is moderated. I really do appreciate that. As you might have noticed I tend to answere posts and not make them. I will work on this and make an effort on getting more vintage tube guys in the forum. As to the cost of your cables and BPs and how well they work, know one will know unless you post about them.
Thatch

Thanks David

I really appreciate your contributions not only on Tubes but on the entire site. In speaking with the other mods your efforts have not gone unnoticed - thanks for setting an example for everyone. If we had greater numbers we could do what AA does and have three (3) tube forums, not just lump everything into one. I admit the SET bunch is a unique (twisted) bunch, and can be elitist at times. So make some vintage tube posts and see what happens...

MikE

If you guys want a vintage tube forum, it only takes a few clicks....so just let me know what you want to set up, and we'll do it :)

Hi again Thatchie...and others. Thatch...I can see where your coming from...or what your thinking...but I can't stress enough...most of the people I know enjoy audio gear...that's it...audio gear. MAny of those people also enjoy tubes...and I can't stress enough, that it doesn't matter if it's new pp,otl,set or vintage of any type. Most people I know that DO like tubes actually care much less about when it was made or how much it cost than others I know who are strictly SS.
My thinking...the cheaper the better...the vintage stuff is what all of the new stuff is based on. Every day I look on ebay for old "vintage" amps. I've even bid on a few...tho I haven't gotten any yet :( .
So I would say that I would rather see the tube forum stay as one...including all tubed information, suggestions, questions and findings...for no other reason than I enjoy it all and think we can all learn from everyones experiences and thoughts. This site is still new and developing...please help form the tube section into a forum which does include rather than exclude.

thank you.

Maybe the Vintage Forum needs a name tweak

Kama, All,

I don't think the problem is in the category called Tube Forum, I think the problem is what the Vintage Forum is called. Perhaps it should be renamed SS Forum, or Vintage SS Forum to keep tube discussions outa there since that seems to be a SS only arena. By the name though, if I didn't know better I'd probably, as a Dynaco Mk-III owner or something else 'vintage' that glows in the dark, want to post a thread there.

I for one believe that old tube stuff is easily as deserved of the Vintage moniker as old SS because it is from an earlier time in the planet's development than SS. However to split the tube forum into Vintage and Post Vintage Forums would dilute it unecessarily at this time IMO. Maybe us toob heads will need a vintage spot down the road, but not yet.

Rob

Well this really wouldn't be an issue if we hadn't had the flare up a few weeks ago with SET/vintage tubes being posted in the Vintage forum...

From my point of view Vintage means Vintage ... tubes and SS. To differentiate the two is to create division and cliques within the AK forum as a whole.

The problem is that, Thoots, as Vintage forum mod has specified the rules, namely that the Vintage forum will be EXclusive of tubes. He is entitled to do so (but if it were my choice, I would make no such distinction), however to go one step further and create a Vintage Tubes forum is to my mind, "institutionalising" the split, so that a "marriage" of vintage SS and vintage tubes becomes far less likely in the future.

So to some up my waffle, I agree with Fish ... keep ALL tubes in Tubes for the meantime, until such a time (it is to be hoped) in the future where vintage SS and vintage tubes can co-exist in the same forum without strife.

My 2 c ;)

Walt

What Fish was referring to with his comment " keep ALL tube talk in Tube Forum" had nothing to do with the "Tube vs Vintage FORUM debate". It had to do with Thatcher_Ear's suggestion we SPLIT the Tube Forum in two with one (1) focusing on modern, current production components and another dealing with vintage equipment.

MikE

MikE,

I don't think you understood me ... I must admit I confused myself at one point! ;)

I understand Thatch's original suggestion, but I think there enough forums at present given the current membership numbers.

I was saying that if you wanted to split vintage tubes away from the Tubes forum, then technically vintage tubes should be in the Vintage forum, however due the "troubles", that is not possible currently, so better to just keep it all in one forum rather than create another one specifically for Vintage Tubes.

That way, in future, perhaps vintage tubes can take their place in the Vintage forum once the "tide has gone out a bit" ...

Does that make sense? I hope so ... :)

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly

Walt, apologize about the confusion. And now, after you walking me through it, I see we agree on what should happen but why it may not happen just this moment.

MikE

Hello guys, I have made a good bit of effort to get some info out about how to coddle a great old beastie back into a cute lovable glowing part of the musical furniture with very little feedback from other than the moderators. Granted the moderators are the ones that know the subject matter on their forums better than most of the karmites, but I want to take this a bit further and post about the site in other forums/sites.
I don't think that at this time you the karminators are really set up for this place to explode like DIYaudio has recently, or are you?
There are 2 points to what I want to do and I want to do it without stepping on toes. I want to post about this site on small kind of everyone knows each other sites and or try to entice the most friendly and opened minded as well as knowledgable to join.
That has to be done with tact so I am going to ask Thor to do it.
Well really the fact is that not every web master is going to welcome someone advertising or selling another site on theirs. So first of all I am trying to get a horn designer in here to maybe add a different angle to horn design. He is a busy guy but I think I can get him to join.
Second I know a couple of DIY guys in Alberquerque that are great souled guys. The kind you like when you meet even before you talk.
Another is the antique radio guys. It seems a touch slow, maybe I can get a few of those guys in especially if they get to use the classifieds.
I do not want to post on any of the big sites or the elitest sites as that will lead to lots of flames real quick.
I wil of coure not post on any other sites except for the one I have already without a go ahead.
Comments, questions suggestion on how Thor should handle this?
Thatch

ooops ... I may have been the bully in the china shop :eek:
I have left 'calling cards' with my replies at a few other sites.

But, k'know, I kinda felt like I was cheatin' around like an ol' dog on the scent ... ;)

me so bad
pete :(

Thatch...great idea! I'd love to see more action in the tube and DIY forums! Keep us informed about your progress.

Back
Top Bottom