Vintage Turntable - Which are Relatively Safe Bets - Looking for Rec's

kws87

Hi AK -

For the second time this month I've had what I thought was a good buy set up on a vintage turntable, only to find major flaws in the decks. First a Thorens 160 then a Rega Planar 3.

Given that - what vintage turntables aren't ticking timebombs.? Which are relatively safe bets?

I am wanting to stay under $500, or pretty close to it. I prefer automatic/semi automatic, but full manual isn't a dealbreaker. Examples of what I've been looking at are;
- Yamaha YP-B4 - Kenwood KD-770d (maybe too expensive, but something near that series)
- Pioneer PL-610 - Thorens TD 160 Super

Related to that - how much improvement in quality/features could I get from $500 on the used market vs $500 for a brand new deck? I have only ever used vintage decks.

I am sitting on a brand new, sealed, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit. I got a very good price on it, even a little cheaper than a standard Pro-Ject Debut.
Would I be better off using the funds to put towards a vintage deck?

00N0N_fpcVzpMBPz4_600x450.jpg

is this the problem arm on a Rega Planar 3?

Use the Pro-ject, it's brand new so therefore shouldn't be a ticking time bomb for a good long time to come. Any 'vintage' unit can have hidden woes - personally, I like Technics direct drive turntables. They are robust, reliable and generally sound great. Most of the issues with these models centre around expired expired electrolytic capacitors, which are relatively easy to replace in most cases.

What were the major flaws on the thorens 160 and rega 3? My gut feeling is those two tables are very reliable. I have the Thorens and when I last used it, it was working well. I also had a rega planar 3 and had no problems.

Another vote for Technics SL-1xxx or AR XA/XB

Philosophically very opposite, but both are pretty reliable. There are a few known issues with certain Technics models, but AFAIK none of them are deal killers. I'd rather work on a Technics than a Dual any day, and I have both.

I've seen three of those Yamaha's come through with speed issues. Sagging motor mounts causing belt to rub on the speed-change arm. Yes, there is a grub-screw that allows the sheave (pulley) to be raised in the motor spindle but not enough in a couple of cases.

The OP explained in the other thread. The Thorens had a bent motor shaft, the Rega with that arm is almost guaranteed to have a non-repairable antiskating issue.

AR XA is as manual as it gets (finger lift only), not sure you're comfortable with that. I'm not and my hands are still reasonably steady at age 50. The XB has a cue lever and that may be better for you.

Without knowing your local market, I would think you can find a TD-145 within your budget. Same as a 160 except with auto shut-off. Even a fully manual Thorens (with Thorens arm) would at least give you the convenience of the "remote" cue lever that doesn't upset the suspension.

You can look at jvc jl f45 or like models. Built like tanks and fully automatic. I had one for 30 years and it never had an issue. I sold it when I originally got out of vinyl. Yamaha had some nice sounding tables from the 80s although not that esthetically appealing. They also need to be isolated properly . Denons ufo looking tables are also a good value. Duals 1200 series as well as 1000 series. Above technics as well, but they are manaul.

Thanks for the rec's - I need to look up a couple of these models.

I have seen used AR tables available locally. I don't have direct experience with them, but they look well built (and are good looking). AR could be another good brand to look at?

The Thorens had a bent spindle off the belt motor, which I was advised was nearly unfixable. The Rega had some internals that wear out/break easily that are extremely hard to repair.

My main turntable right now is Technics SL-D2 (direct drive) w/ ATH120e. I also really like my Technics direct drive.
My second table is another Technics, but the basic belt drive SL-23 (w/ ATH 130). This one is basic, but is completely mint - looks like it was just pulled out of the box.
I run these through a vintage Pioneer SA-1000 and out into my home theaters infinity towers.

Thorens 125 and 126 models are always great. Technics SP 10, 25, 15, if you want to pick an arm. SL 1200 models are better than most folks think. Empire 598 is a great table though the arms have issues. On a real budget the AR table will get you started. Tables made in the late 70 and early 80's by Technics, Thorens, Denon top grade Dual, Pioneer and others to be considered. I loved B&O 4000/8000 tables but they need to have had consistent maintenance and cartridges aren't available any more. Revox made some great linear turntables. VPI was making tables that could compete very well by the late 80's. If I could find a used SME table I would be in hog heaven. But that's still a major major investment. Clearaudio tables are rare pre-owned, but you might find a deal. Oracle and Micro Seike made some very sophisticated machines. Now that the SL 1000R by Technics will be coming on the market you might find deals on older top of the line SL tables.

If you want new, a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon set up correctly by your dealer. If you want vintage, a Marc Morin modified AR XA. IMHO.

Another vote for the Thorens TD160. Sounds much better than my Technics (although it is a low end SL220 belt drive).

I have spent way too much money on a Pioneer PL-610 and it still doesn't work. After sourcing very hard to find parts for the auto return function from all over the world it now needs to be completely torn down to get to the well known speed control issue. So I'd say stay away from the PL-610.

I recommend both the Technics SL-1200MKII and an AR XA or XB. I replaced the PL-610 with a Technics SL-1200MKII that a family member is currently enjoying. I also have a AR XB that Marc Morin has completely updated and it is a wonderful turntable. An unmodified AR will likely need some basic maintenance to get working correctly but there a lot of folks on this site that can help.

00N0N_fpcVzpMBPz4_600x450.jpg

is this the problem arm on a Rega Planar 3?

As was explained to you in your other thread, yes. This is an Acos arm. The belt in the bias control goes bad with time. At the risk of being redundant (if you are still reading your other thread on the same topic), if you are interested in Rega tables, stick to post-1983, at which point they began using tonearms of their own design and construction. In my opinion, if you want a better table, sell the D2 , SL-23 and ProJect, combine the funds with your $500 budget and put it all towards a good table and great cartridge. It will perform better than any of those three.

Alternatively, put a very good cartridge on your D2 and see if that satisfies your itch. You will still have semi-auto function and the D2 is certainly decent (and quite reliable), with performance probably the equal of the ProJect, or certainly close enough. If you still have the itch after that, get a better table and use that cartridge on it.

Yet another vote for the Thorens TD160. Sounds much better than my Technics SL-1200 and SL-1210 Mk-II and it doesn't need an upgrade. These things just run.

Back
Top Bottom