Vintage vinyl newbie

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by CT MacKenzie, Jun 13, 2017.

1. CT MacKenzie

CT MacKenzie New Member

Hey folks, new to the forum and to the vintage stereo world....although have been listening to vinyl for several years on box store turn table.

Anyway, seeking guidance and opinions on what I got in mind.....keep in mind my wife is restraining my budget.

A) Picked up a Kenwood kd 3100 tt, for $65, needed some servicing but nothing too horrible, it had a decent headshell and stylus also came with an extra....it required some self education as far as proper alignment but all good

B) Got a Kenwood KR 750 Receiver/Amp for $60....100% pristine and fully functional.....my OCD won't let me go with a different brand yet I am working on it though.

C.) No speakers yet but have a few in mind all are under $75
    1....A set of Kenwood KL 777
    2.....A set of Kenwood LS 890
    3....or a set of KL 3080

I realize Kenwood wasn't the posh speaker make, but just trying to stay with what I got going and don't really know what differences to look for in speakers.....as far as what I am looking to do spin some vinyl of the Beatles or Stones, something along those lines.....and I get reading online and it info overload regarding these models and their uses.....any input would be appreciated

Nightwisher likes this.
  2. Nightwisher

Nightwisher Farer In The Goldilocks Zone Subscriber

Awesome! Add pics!

I would recommend looking outside of Kenwood for speakers. They were excellent component makers but mediocre speaker makers. I've heard Kenwood speakers are decent, but I bet you can find something much better for around the same price.

3. mark warren

mark warren Always Learning! Subscriber

I have seen some really fine Kenwood systems with Kenwood speakers in the past! :rockon::rockon:

4. CT MacKenzie

CT MacKenzie New Member

Well I picked up the set if KL-777's today....haggled some more since I had to make the 80 mile trip to pick them up....so $50 and cost of fuel....I think it was a good score....the older gent I bought them from purchased them in 73...he even had the instructions pamphlet! ...and he told me they were used very little and when they were used it was lightly his folks would allow the loud music....excited to get them installed to see if I chose well!

Attached Files:

Dave_1962 and Burner like this.
  5. Dave_1962

Dave_1962 Lunatic Member

A very good score - the 777's would be 4X that much around here!

6. CT MacKenzie

CT MacKenzie New Member

I felt the same way, especially when I met the guy that bought them in 1974 and he told me they were light used for a few weeks and have just been tucked away since the fall of 1973.....I just hope they pair up well with the kr 750 I have coming.....we'll shall find out soon though!

Dave_1962 likes this.