Vintage VS New/ Is There A Herd Mentality on Audiokarma?

Good question. Where do we dray the line, assuming a line is necessary. I know a lot of vintage guys don't like anything after the '70's. Does that make '80's gear modern?

I consider my '80s Accuphase vintage, but its right around my own personal cutoff. Not sure I'd call my mid '80s Sansui Au-x901 vintage, even though it is only a few years newer than the Accuphase. It just doesn't look, well, "vintage". But I don't consider anything from the '80s or up into the mid '90s "modern". It's just "good gear", well, at least when it actually is good gear.

One post on AK suggested , If you bought it new , it was modern . It's all quite confusing . That's why I think we are doing a great disservice to each other wasting our time arguing this modern vs vintage debate . Good gear is good gear .

There was a thread in the vintage forum re what makes a piece vintage. My take-away from it was that an item's "cool factor" was as important as age. With a high "cool factor" it can be considered vintage, otherwise it's just old.

There was a thread in the vintage forum re what makes a piece vintage. My take-away from it was that an item's "cool factor" was as important as age. With a high "cool factor" it can be considered vintage, otherwise it's just old.

That's good . haha

Like the '90's Accuphase tuner that tops the shootout list. :drool:

The matching tuner to my integrated was for sale locally and for some dumb reason (well, not really dumb, it was more $$ than I wanted to spend) I passed on it. I wonder if it's still for sale? I kind of really want it now.

Did I mention how much I love this Accuphase? Haha.

Good question. Where do we draw the line, assuming a line is necessary. I know a lot of vintage guys don't like anything after the '70's. Does that make '80's gear modern?

I think '80s gear can be considered both vintage and modern. Interestingly, I'm going to have an '80s high end listening session later this week. It'll be a Krell KSA-50 power amp and a Counterpoint SA-5.1 preamp. I'm just waiting for a couple of tubes to arrive for the preamp. Don't know if I'll be able to report in time before I leave for CES though. I'll be going to check on all that horrible modern high end stuff for five days.

You make no sense . Have another drink .

If I don't have the $500 to own the equipment you think I should own , that kinda makes you a snob .

I made plenty of sense, you're the one who can't come up with an intelligent argument about the relativity of expense. Unable to do so you resort to an insults and insults lacking wit at that.

Note too that showing what's available at $500 is not the same as thinking people should own it, as you imply. Your overheated and paranoid imagination is furiously seeking slights, like an audio Benedict Arnold.

I made plenty of sense, you're the one who can't come up with an intelligent argument about the relativity of expense. Unable to do so you resort to an insults and insults lacking wit at that.

Note too that showing what's available at $500 is not the same as thinking people should own it, as you imply. Your overheated and paranoid imagination is furiously seeking slights, like an audio Benedict Arnold.

:rolleyes:

You started the personal attacks . I am glad you know big words .

My only regret was answering your question " do I understand ? " I answered no and you went off . Sorry

That's why I think we are doing a great disservice to each other wasting our time arguing this modern vs vintage debate . Good gear is good gear .

Now here is one of your posts I can agree with 100%! :)

I really don't get why this vintage vs. new crap has to get started once a week around here, there is no 'winner' in this, unless setting a stage for those who like to argue and fueling the fire is a 'win'.

Now here is one of your posts I can agree with 100%! :)

I really don't get why this vintage vs. new crap has to get started once a week around here, there is no 'winner' in this, unless setting a stage for those who like to argue and fueling the fire is a 'win'.

No kidding !!

It only takes a couple of folks arguing to ruin what many thought was a reasonable conversation. Let's everyone take a breath, and get back to the conversation the OP intended.
Regards,
Jim

It only takes a couple of folks arguing to ruin what many thought was a reasonable conversation. Let's everyone take a breath, and get back to the conversation the OP intended.
Regards,
Jim

If the OP reads his thread, I'm sure he'll find his answer.

I will draw a line for you guys. 25 years or older is vintage. Sounds like a reasonable cutoff.

Good gear from any year. That's what most all of us most like, I think. People get defensive though if somebody even appears to diss one era in favor of another, regardless of what was actually meant. And of course there are widely divergent opinions on what actually constitutes good gear, in the first place. That muddies the water some more.

If I say there are some fairly mundane products that have benefitted from being viewed through the prism of vintagism someone will take offense; if I say there are some fairly mundane products that have benefitted from the rosy lens of modernism someone else will. That both those statements are true doesn't matter, it seems. There have always been, now are, and always will be some mundane products, some downright crappy products, some very good ones, and some exemplary. I think most of us understand that - we don't always agree on which are which, but that's okay. Sometimes we have knee-jerk defensive responses to what we read, interpreted through our own set of lenses, and that's human. I write 'we' advisedly, I don't exclude myself at all.

Like the '90's Accuphase tuner that tops the shootout list. :drool:

Dangit Chicks, I just told the store to pull the Accuphase tuner aside for me to borrow and audition with my matching integrated.

You know you have too much gear when your friend at the stereo store encourages you to trade stuff from your stash for something. "I just know you're trying to get rid of stuff and I'm trying to keep you from adding stuff you don't need". That's a sign of a good shop.

Dangit Chicks, I just told the store to pull the Accuphase tuner aside for me to borrow and audition with my matching integrated.

You know you have too much gear when your friend at the stereo store encourages you to trade stuff from your stash for something. "I just know you're trying to get rid of stuff and I'm trying to keep you from adding stuff you don't need". That's a sign of a good shop.

I know the feeling. After scoring the Kenny 600 for next to nothing, I couldn't rest until I had the matching tuna. Cost me a lot more than the amp, but looks nice. ;)

1353174490388.jpg

Back
Top Bottom